8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

61 - 67 of 67 Posts

·
Super Moderator
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #61
Sorry to answer so late. Thanks for the part number. This reminds me, I'm working on 268,000 miles so probably not a bad idea to replace it.

·
Registered
1,251 Posts
I have an ‘08 Civic EX with 67,000 miles and the original PCV valve. Decided to replace it last week since the part is inexpensive. VERY glad I did. The idle is much much smoother, like butter. Acceleration is also better due to less hesitation. My OCD brain can say that with confidence!!
I’ve driven both on the highway and in stop & go traffic with the new PCV valve. I highly recommend replacement to anyone, especially if your current valve has 60k miles or more.
P.S—I’ve not yet gone through a full tank, so I cannot presently speak to the mpg.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I have an ‘08 Civic EX with 67,000 miles and the original PCV valve. Decided to replace it last week since the part is inexpensive. VERY glad I did. The idle is much much smoother, like butter. Acceleration is also better due to less hesitation. My OCD brain can say that with confidence!!
I’ve driven both on the highway and in stop & go traffic with the new PCV valve. I highly recommend replacement to anyone, especially if your current valve has 60k miles or more.
P.S—I’ve not yet gone through a full tank, so I cannot presently speak to the mpg.
Wow at your low mileage I have 160k on my 08 Lx lol. Planning to do the radiator, hoses, thermostat, waterpump and belt soon.

·
Registered
206 Posts
I did this today with my R18. My car has had an issue where the car feels like it wants to shut off when at a red light. By changing the PCV Valve, and also cleaning the EGR Valve unit, the car feels good now.

When doing the PCV Valve, i thought it was going to be a breeze, just to find out that the area is tight in there.

Do yourself a favor, and buy this specific tool. If i didn't have this, i couldn't have done this job easily. ($3.99 at Harbor Freight)

·
Registered
17 Posts
I did this today with my R18. My car has had an issue where the car feels like it wants to shut off when at a red light. By changing the PCV Valve, and also cleaning the EGR Valve unit, the car feels good now.

When doing the PCV Valve, i thought it was going to be a breeze, just to find out that the area is tight in there.

Do yourself a favor, and buy this specific tool. If i didn't have this, i couldn't have done this job easily. ($3.99 at Harbor Freight)

View attachment 242876

When you say clean EGR valve unit may I ask where it is and how to clean? Thanks

·
Registered
206 Posts
Its right in front of the engine. You will see it.

If you plan to remove it, buy a new gasket as the old one usually sticks on the surface, and can't reuse it again. Part #18715-PB2-000.

Also use Carb Cleaner, and a clean rag. Lookup "R18 EGR Valve Cleaning" on youtube, and it shows you exactly how to clean it. Thats what i followed.

·
Super Moderator
2,192 Posts
Discussion Starter #67
Its right in front of the engine. You will see it.

View attachment 242878

If you plan to remove it, buy a new gasket as the old one usually sticks on the surface, and can't reuse it again. Part #18715-PB2-000.

Also use Carb Cleaner, and a clean rag. Lookup "R18 EGR Valve Cleaning" on youtube, and it shows you exactly how to clean it. Thats what i followed.
Good info, thanks for sharing! Yes, the PCV valve is a pain to get to.

61 - 67 of 67 Posts