8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

41 - 60 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
I feel dumb - I tried to get the hose off the PCV valve & couldn't get it off. Had nose pliers on it.

Should I pull really hard? Or would engine heat have caused the tubing to melt onto the PCV valve?

I'm brand new to engine work, so any tips are greatly appreciated!!

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
I feel dumb - I tried to get the hose off the PCV valve & couldn't get it off. Had nose pliers on it.

Should I pull really hard? Or would engine heat have caused the tubing to melt onto the PCV valve?

I'm brand new to engine work, so any tips are greatly appreciated!!
Dumb question: did you take the clamp off? Anyway, give it a good yank, it will come off. Mine was a pain as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Dumb question: did you take the clamp off? Anyway, give it a good yank, it will come off. Mine was a pain as well.
I'm pretty dumb, but not that dumb. I had the clamp off, but that was a pain to get off too. Too many years in front of a computer & not working with my hands. I'll give it a good yank and see if that does the trick.

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
I'm pretty dumb, but not that dumb. I had the clamp off, but that was a pain to get off too. Too many years in front of a computer & not working with my hands. I'll give it a good yank and see if that does the trick.
LOL, I didn't mean to imply you were dumb, it's just that I've had a lot of "DOH" moments under the hood. I doubt the rubber "fused", most likely all the gunk is making it difficult for it slip off. In fact, I never really properly reinstalled my clamp. The hose is that snug that I don't have to worry about it slipping off, but I do check on it from time to time.

Good luck!

Someone mentioned taking their PC valve off and it rattled, then reinstalled it thinking it was ok. For reasons unknowst to me, that doesn't mean its fine. Just throwing it out there.........

·
Registered
17 Posts
LOL, I didn't mean to imply you were dumb, it's just that I've had a lot of "DOH" moments under the hood. I doubt the rubber "fused", most likely all the gunk is making it difficult for it slip off. In fact, I never really properly reinstalled my clamp. The hose is that snug that I don't have to worry about it slipping off, but I do check on it from time to time.

Good luck!

Someone mentioned taking their PC valve off and it rattled, then reinstalled it thinking it was ok. For reasons unknowst to me, that doesn't mean its fine. Just throwing it out there.........
No worries! I got the tubing off after some good tugging (as you suggested). Clamp went on well after I sprayed it with some wd40. So glad I did this DIY!

Used Duralast PCV Valve part # PCV1008DL. I hope it lasts. $10 at Autozone

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #48
No worries! I got the tubing off after some good tugging (as you suggested). Clamp went on well after I sprayed it with some wd40. So glad I did this DIY!

Used Duralast PCV Valve part # PCV1008DL. I hope it lasts. $10 at Autozone
Nice!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Normally a plugged PCV valve will cause crank case pressure to build up which will lead to front crank seal or rear main seal seeping oil.

I suppose if the pressure can't find its way out through a seal other issues will ensue.

Valve covers used to be vented to get rid pressure. . For emissions reasons the Pcv redirects those vented gases to the intake to be burned.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Hi,
Informative guide about PCV Valve replacement. I have a Honda Civic 2010 model. Can I change air bag and wheel steering by itself?
Thanks in advance!!

·
Registered
713 Posts
Yes! Since you asked in the right place I'll tell you how.

Just take a pry bar behind the airbag cover. Pop the front open, the part with the chrome H. Pull the airbag out. Its tough, use the pry bar again. There is one bolt behind it. Then you're all good.

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #53
Hi,
Informative guide about PCV Valve replacement. I have a Honda Civic 2010 model. Can I change air bag and wheel steering by itself?
Thanks in advance!!
Here is a video I found on the issue:

Pay attention to the first 2 minutes for the airbag part.

The airbag and steering wheel will NOT come out as one unit. Trying to do so will damage the crap out them and the possibility of the airbag exploding in your face, thus rearranging it, is not desirable.

Yes! Since you asked in the right place I'll tell you how.
Hahahhahahhahaha, that was funny.

But seriously, NO prying!! There are 2 bolts on either end of the airbag, they need to be removed before the airbag itself can be moved.

So then, now that we've gotten that out of the way,

PCV valve questions, comments, ....................................... :laughing:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Thanks for the post. I can't tell you how many mechanics would just blow off PCV valve. But my 2010 Civic LX 4 dr sedan has had some rough idle issues and also poor gas mileage lately. I have a list of potential suspects and doing most of it myself, PCV valve came up and your post helped me out in replacing it.
I easily removed the 10mm bolt holding the bracket just below (on the backside )the Grey Cable Management Clip in your 1st picture, once it was loose.
I used a 6" extention and the 11/16" deep well socket and removed and replaced the PCV fitting in under 20 minutes. replaced it today!

Thanks Again

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #55
Thanks for the post. I can't tell you how many mechanics would just blow off PCV valve. But my 2010 Civic LX 4 dr sedan has had some rough idle issues and also poor gas mileage lately. I have a list of potential suspects and doing most of it myself, PCV valve came up and your post helped me out in replacing it.
I easily removed the 10mm bolt holding the bracket just below (on the backside )the Grey Cable Management Clip in your 1st picture, once it was loose.
I used a 6" extention and the 11/16" deep well socket and removed and replaced the PCV fitting in under 20 minutes. replaced it today!

Thanks Again
Cool! Glad my post helped. Did it cure your rough idle?

·
Registered
626 Posts
" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen >
I had replaced my PCV valve with one from NAPA a few years ago, then I started having this annoying grinding noise. If you only knew how much money threw at the problem trying to solve that noise :facepalm:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi!

Today I checked PCV valve surroundings and I found a bit of black dirt (check picture) Do you think that PCV valve is bad?

Best regards Matic

Sent from my Mi-4c using Tapatalk

·
Super Moderator
2,152 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Engine crud and such always seem to gather there. When I took mine (PCV) off, when "blowing" into it, it still sounded meaning it was ok. Mine looked like yours. I don't know, I wouldn't worry about it. Replace it (cheap insurance), clean the surroundings and don't think about it again until next time you decide to replace it.

Ed

41 - 60 of 67 Posts