8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
361 - 380 of 402 Posts

· Super Moderator
2,635 Posts
Most of this thread deals with the LX. I have an EX sedan (2 spoke) with all the buttons (cruise/audio/voiceNAV), will an Si (3 spoke) with the same button functions be plug and play???

Can't find that in my search. Thanks for any replies.

· Registered
5,733 Posts
what i'd suggest would be to not solder anything until it's confirmed that it works. basically strip both wires twist em together and test. if it works, tape em and then solder once it's all done. basically what i did to make sure mine worked with both my stock radio AND my aftermarket headunit.

so i installed the buttons and tested the functions on my stock radio to see, then installed my headunit, tested with that (with the axxess controller thing) then soldered it all up and bingo.

i'd say you shouldn't have trouble but you might wanna find a pinout of the different wires and such.

best of luck :thumb:

· Super Moderator
2,635 Posts
what i'd suggest would be to not solder anything until it's confirmed that it works. basically strip both wires twist em together and test. if it works, tape em and then solder once it's all done. basically what i did to make sure mine worked with both my stock radio AND my aftermarket headunit.

so i installed the buttons and tested the functions on my stock radio to see, then installed my headunit, tested with that (with the axxess controller thing) then soldered it all up and bingo.

i'd say you shouldn't have trouble but you might wanna find a pinout of the different wires and such.

best of luck :thumb:
I have the stock NAV HU and don't plan on changing it anytime soon. The audio and cruise controls I expect to be plug and play. The voice and "back" button should be also, if not, I'll report back. The wheel should be in next week.

Funny thing is: I totally wasn't expecting to do this mod. Funny, a couple of days ago i totally didn't you can do this.

· Super Moderator
2,635 Posts
CONFIRMED: YES, plugs right in and works!

NOTES: the plug for the steering wheel controls is a different color, but it plugs right in. Also, the plastic tabs that hold the airbag wires and plugs are completely different from the 2 spoke wheel vs. the 3 spoke wheel. My friend and I just clipped the plastic off and zipped tied them.

3 spoke steering wheel with all audio/cruise/voiceNav buttons is plug and play on a 2007 EX sedan with NAVI that comes with a 2 spoke steering wheel.

COMMENTS: Sounds totally stupid to say, but my car seems to drive better, LOL.

Totally worth it!!

F**k YEAH!!

· Registered
10 Posts
I know this thread has been quiet for about two years but I just did this today and it worked beautifully thanks to everyone that contributed here! There were a few things I wanted to post as my own feedback:

1) I used that PDF that was created by College Hills Honda and linked here on how to remove the dash (for the purposes of installing an xm radio.) The pdf was VERY helpful in taking the dash apart but you do not need to take the glove box out. I did not knowing and never even went on that side of the car.

2)I have a 2007 Civic LX Coupe and the part number for the harness I used was: 36770-SVA-A41

3) A user posted (on page 7 i think) some variances for 2 door versus 4 door. This was very helpful and I will add to it that if you have the 3 spoke steering wheel there are 6 screws in the back of the steering wheel as well as the 2 torx screws that you need to undo in order to get the airbag and trim removed. The torx screws have green loc-tite on them so I had to use a large breaker bar to get them out. I was extra careful as alot of users here said they stripped their screws.

4) RBX LX had said that he just removed the top of the steering column trim and always broke the tabs. Users said to remove the bottom one first (3 screws) and you'd be fine. I removed the bottom piece first, squeezed the sides and the two pieces practically removed themselves. Totally remove the bottom piece first, haha!

5) By using the pictures of where RBP LX inserted his new wires into the plugs behind the steering wheel and head unit and by referencing the diagrams I was confidently able to identify where to place the new wires. Just look at the pictures and you can see pretty easily where wires should go. On that note...

6) I read all 19 pages of this post and it was only mentioned once after much confusion where the plug was that wasnt behind the steering column. The pictures show that the steering column plug is right there in front of the tach, easy to locate, but then the other pic is just a plug, wires, and a hole. The other plug goes directly into the back of the stereo!! Once you get the dash pulled apart and you pull out the factory stereo you will recognize the two plugs from the picture.

I think thats it. Like I said, everyone here was just insanely helpful and I was able to get the whole thing done without a hitch. If you have any questions, scan the post cause the only ones I had I just adressed above. Good luck! I cant wait to start using these new controls!!!

· Registered
3 Posts
SOLVED! Keeping Bluetooth/voice command buttons with aftermarket radio

I have a 2006 4dr Civic Ex with audio controls, no Bluetooth or voice commands. Im running the Kenwood DDX7701HD dual din touch screen headunit.

I've loved the 09-11 civic's steering wheel controls over my 06, so I searched these forums and for years saw everyone struggle to find out how to wire up the bluetooth and voice commands with the new radio.

So I went to Honda and asked for the wiring diagrams for the steering wheel from my 06 ex, and an 09 ex with navigation controls, so I can study the way they work and if it's possible to tie all of the signal wires together at some point.

And yes, there is

I bought a 09-11 steering wheel with all controls (Nav, Bluetooth, Voice, Audio ect) from a junk yard with no air bag for $75.

The connector at the center of the of the steering wheel is the same on ALL 06-11 civics, so it's plug and play.

My options where , buy a cable rell/clockspring from a 09-11 civic with nav/voice so I could get the wires to pass through the steering wheel and connect /tap/splice into the wires on the other side of the steering wheel, but I wanted to Dave money by not having to buy another part, so I chose to combine the wires at the steering wheel harness before it goes into the clockspring/cable reel.

By having the wiring diagram I discovered that all the buttons use the same ground wire, a brown wire at C10 of the steering wheel harness. You'll notice this wire loops through all of the buttons.

The main control wire for the audio controls is ALWAYS Green/Red at pin C9 at the steering wheel, and then changes to the Pink wire behind the dash at the radio that all steering wheel control (SWC) modules say to tap into, no matter if you have an 06 ex or the top of the line 09-11 civic ex-l. This is the wire you want to tap into because when you hook up your Metra Axxess Aswc-1 steering wheel control module, this is the one wire that will send a signal to the control module depending on what button you've pressed at the steering wheel.

So, what to do....

On the new steering wheel with nav,voice controls, at the green connector at the center of the wheel, cut the orange/White wire at C10 (Bluetooth Buttons signal wire), then cut the Gray or Grey wire at C8 (Voice Control Buttons signal wire), then connect/combine those 2 wires with the Green/Red wire at C9 (Audio control buttons signal wire). And that's it for the steering wheel side of this mod. Of course this has to be done with the airbag off in order to get to the connector, don't forget to disconnect the battery when you do this to avoid accidental deployment of the air bag, or do this mod to the steering wheel when it's off before you install it (if you had to buy it before hand and it wasn't already installed, like me).

Now when you press an audio button like the volume up or down, or voice command, or the bluetooth phone buttons, all their signals now travel along one wire, as opposed to the factory setup which had seperatel control units like the HFL (bluetooth), and voice command (navigation head unit).

I bought the Metra axxess aswc-1 becuase it allowed me to program/map the buttons exactly how I wanted to, and in this case, you'll need to map out and manually program the new buttons that we just added (bluetooth & V.C.) because the SWC module won't automatically recognize the additional buttons.

Follow the steps in the instructions for manually programming the new buttons, and then your done.

The hardest part with this was actually getting off my ass and going to honda and asking for the wiring diagram (5 mins of effort) to see what the pin outs were. People have complained about not keeping those controls, now you can.

Hope I've helped somehow, enjoy.

Sorry for not having pics, I figured they weren't needed since we now know what pin outs to cut/tap into. What controls what ect.

· Registered
7 Posts
Big Thank You to all who posted. Did this install today, and it was really straightforward using all the info in this thread.

The posts that helped the most:
- Page 19, above, where MrkThMn posted his summary. I pretty much followed everything he said.
- Page 10, where AV911 uploaded the original DIY with install pictures included.
- Page 1, which has the wiring diagrams for how to modify the stock steering wheel harness and the radio harness in the dash.

Install took about 2 hours. Hardest part for me was de-pinning the old cruise control harness to steal the pins/wires, then inserting those wires and pins into the harness behind the steering wheel and the one behind the radio. Especially the harness behind the radio. Inserting the pins there was a huge pain - I ended up using needlenose pliers to push the pins into place bit by bit, and had to end up grasping and pushing on the wires to shove the pins down some more. Wasn't sure I pushed the pins in all the way until after putting everything back together and seeing everything work! then it was all good. Steering wheel controls are great!

361 - 380 of 402 Posts