8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 402 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
After reading the DIY in the thread mentioned above I am still a little confused. Has anyone else attempted this? Unfortunately the DIY is a cut and paste from another forum "HondaPartsDeals" and the poster "Avenger" has not attempted the mod, also the original writer of the how to "CivicMania" from the HOndaPartsDeals forum is unreachable. If anyone if familiar with this individual and knows a forum where they frequent please let me know.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
OK I have an update on this. I have been doing a lot of searching and reading and thanks to dpnvektor who has a link to electrical diagrams in the automatic climate control thread I think I have an answer. To complete the steering wheel audio control mod you need to purchase the control assembly 36770-SNA-A11 (2006) or 36770-SNA-A12 (2007). I don't think there is a difference between the two parts but they have different numbers. Next you need to install the 2 wires missing from vehicles without steering wheel audio controls. Basically you need to run 2 wires from the connector at the steering wheel to the connector at the audio unit. Here are some pictures of the connectors in question.

Steering Wheel Connector
View attachment 4597

Audio Unit Connector
View attachment 4598

The view of these connectors is from the back. So following the DIY posted in the link above you would need to remove the upper portion of the steering column shroud and the portion of the dash surrounding the audio unit/climate controls. Instead of purchasing the EX wiring harness and cutting/splicing wires together you only need to run the 2 wires shown from one connector to the other. This is all in theory for now as I haven't had the time to attempt this yet but I see no reason why it won't work. If anyone attempts this before me let me know how you make out.

Attachments

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I would love to put this theory to the test but Canadian Honda dealers want a rediculous amount of money for the control switches, $125 up here compared to $50 in the US. Anyone want to buy a set of controls and ship them to me? I have tried all of the online dealers and there is no way to avoid all of the duties, taxes and brokerage fees involved with buying from them. However an individual could purchase them and ship them as a gift valued at less than $20, this would eliminate all of the fees involved with cross border shopping. I would be happy to pay for the part and shipping via paypal.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I'm looking to do it on my 07 LX sedan. I have ordered the part and it is being shipped to my uncle in Florida. He is returning to Canada (he spends the winters there) at the end of the month so I will do the install and "how to" guide at that time. If you do it before me shoot me a PM or report back here.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Normally those are ment to use factory audio controls, with aftermarket Head units.

The LX and DX model people, are left out of the Factory Steering Wheel Audio Controls for their Factory Stereo category, hence this thread topic. =]

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I will be picking up the new audio/cruise controls on Sunday. I should start on this either Sunday or Monday. I don't think the procedure is complicated but a few things will have to be removed to do the job. Don't worry I will document the procedure very well and take lots of pictures.:thumb:

·
Registered
618 Posts
RBP LX said:
I will be picking up the new audio/cruise controls on Sunday. I should start on this either Sunday or Monday. I don't think the procedure is complicated but a few things will have to be removed to do the job. Don't worry I will document the procedure very well and take lots of pictures.:thumb:

Thank you, RBP LX...I look forward to your pics and install notes...I am ready to order the part as long as you dont' have to tear the car completely apart to do this upgrade...

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Well great news everyone, IT WORKS!!!!!:party: :rockwoot: I'm just in the process of cleaning up all my connections but I wanted to share the good news first. A complete how to will be done for tomorrow or Tuesday.

·
Registered
618 Posts
RBP LX said:
Well great news everyone, IT WORKS!!!!!:party: :rockwoot: I'm just in the process of cleaning up all my connections but I wanted to share the good news first. A complete how to will be done for tomorrow or Tuesday.
I am glad that the upgrade works and I know you are working on a DIY...but I just have a quick question....do you have to only order the one part? do have the specific part number? I would like to go ahead and get it on order so maybe I can install this weekend....where did you order yours from? how long did it take to arrive? Thanks....I appreciate all of your help...looking forward to making my steering wheel control work too....

1 - 20 of 402 Posts