8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
381 - 400 of 402 Posts

· Registered
3 Posts
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP?!?

Does anyone know if it's possible for me to install an EX steering wheel that has the audio controls and get them to work on my DX ? I understand the cruise control wont work but would it be possible for me to get the audio steering wheel controls to work with my aftermarket pioneer double din ? by using a steering wheel control adaptor such as the Axxess ASWC-1. My 2009 honda civic DX only has a connection for the horn behind the wheel nothing else. Would that mean I would have to find a way to wire the steering wheel adaptor directly to the steering wheel and then to the back of my double din ?

if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks

· Registered
1,834 Posts
CAN SOMEONE PLEASE HELP?!?

Does anyone know if it's possible for me to install an EX steering wheel that has the audio controls and get them to work on my DX ? I understand the cruise control wont work but would it be possible for me to get the audio steering wheel controls to work with my aftermarket pioneer double din ? by using a steering wheel control adaptor such as the Axxess ASWC-1. My 2009 honda civic DX only has a connection for the horn behind the wheel nothing else. Would that mean I would have to find a way to wire the steering wheel adaptor directly to the steering wheel and then to the back of my double din ?

if anyone can help it would be greatly appreciated

Thanks
Take a look at post 191 of this thread.

You need:

The steering wheel audio switch. (remove the CC switch since you won't be using it) IF, your "new" steering wheel switch has the HFL buttons, you can use them or tie off the HFL connector under the airbag.

A clockspring capable of passing the signal. (use part number 77900-STK-A02. It's the least expensive and is plug n play)

Add 2 wires (1 signal & 1 ground) to the connector that plugs into the back side of the clockspring. These 2 wires will go to the Axxess ASWC1. IF, you have and will be using the HFT buttons, you'll need to run 2 more wires.

· Registered
5 Posts
I have the switch of the audio control , and the adaptor axxess aswc 1. The adaptor is connected to the stereo, and the switch is installed in the steering wheel, you know that the Honda civic lx 2006, comes without the audio control remote, so I have to improve another way for the connection. And I don't know how to route the wires.

· Registered
3 Posts
1. Does RBP LX or anyone have the photos showing how to do this job saved to their computer? They were unfortunately originally hosted on Photobucket, which continues to do its part to break the internet.

2. I have a 2009 LX sedan with three spoke steering wheel. I ordered a knockoff version of the switch set from an ebay vendor, whose listing claimed it was the correct part for my car. What I received was a "Malcayang"-branded part that came in a box with a sticker referencing "36770-SNA-A12," which to my understanding is the part number for the earlier cars, rather than the 36770-SVA-A41 which would apparently be the correct one. Doing some Googling, Malcayang has a lot of listings on Aliexpress for these switches, which reference various OEM part numbers, but all claiming that they are all "For Honda Civic 06 07 08 09 10 11," leading me to suspect that they're selling a "one size fits all" type of product. Does anyone know what the difference is between the OEM versions of these switches? (A41 is quite a bit more expensive than A12.) Has anyone tried installing the Malcayang one on a car that is supposed to take the 36770-SVA-A41 version?

· Registered
3,546 Posts
Official How To

OK here we go. I'm not going to go into detail about how to take apart the dash . There is a great description with pictures found HERE. I will however emphasize that you must disconnect the battery negative, DO NOT attempt this mod without disconnecting the battery because you will be removing the driver's side airbag.

Once you have the dash apart the next thing to do is remove the steering wheel airbag. To do this you need to undo each of the Torx screws, one on each side of the steering wheel. While you are doing this remove the 2 Philips screws on each side that secure the audio/cruise control trim piece.

Now that the screws are out the next thing to do is disconnect the electrical connections for the air bag and wiring harness. The connectors are found on the underside of the steering wheel behind a removable trim piece.

Once these connections are undone you can pull the air bag forward and remove it. Now tou need to remove the remaining screws securing the trim piece as well as disconnecting the remaining connector.

Here is the removed trim piece with the wiring from the existing cruise controls.

This is the back side of the trim where the audio controls will be installed. First you need to remove the 2 Philips screws on each side that secure the existing cruise controls and the blank where the audio controls will go.

Here is a picture of the old and new control harnesses

And the new controls installed in the trim piece.

Everything on the steering wheel put back together the reverse of how it came apart.

Now on to the hard part JK:laughing:
Next you need to remove the upper steering colum shroud. I still have not figered a way to do this without breaking the little plastic snaps that holds it together but a bit of super glue puts them back together.

If you choose to you can remove the bottom piece as well, it is held on by 3 Philips screws. If you are like me you will have to do this to glue the broken pieces back together. With the shroud removed you now have easy access to the steering wheel wiring connector which I forgot to take a picture of prior to installing my wiring harness. Speaking of which it is now time to destroy one wiring harness and make another. From the old cruise control harness you need to steal 4 female pins. They look like this when removed.

The old wiring harness will look like this. Notice the plastic is peeled back. The pins lock into position when installed so they are hard to remove. You can either peel the plastic back or use a small screw driver (eyeglass) and hammer them out from the front.

The pins will be used to make the new connections at the steerig wheel connector and the radio connector like this. You can refer to my diagram on the fist page of this thread for pinout locations but steering wheel is 3&4 radio is 6&7. For ease of installation I use red/pink and green/green wires from the old harness to make it easier to remember which wire went were, I also labeled everything. They can be hard to push into the new slots and may require the help of a screw driver pushing them to get them all the way in. Notice that they should only go in one way, make sure to install them the right side up, just mimic the existing ones.

Next you need to make a wiring harness to connect the new plugs. This harness needs to be at least 24" long 30" would be better. This allows enough slack when putting everything back together.

Wiring harness installed.

Now you are ready to test. Reconnect the radio and all harness connections, have your security code ready. Reconnect the battery negative and turn the ignition to the accessory position II. You shoul now have to turn the radio on by pressing the power button, enter your code and test the steering wheel controls. If everthing is fine start to put everything back together and enjoy.
Pictures courtesy of RBP LX.

· Registered
423 Posts
2. I have a 2009 LX sedan with three spoke steering wheel. I ordered a knockoff version of the switch set from an ebay vendor, whose listing claimed it was the correct part for my car. What I received was a "Malcayang"-branded part that came in a box with a sticker referencing "36770-SNA-A12," which to my understanding is the part number for the earlier cars, rather than the 36770-SVA-A41 which would apparently be the correct one. Doing some Googling, Malcayang has a lot of listings on Aliexpress for these switches, which reference various OEM part numbers, but all claiming that they are all "For Honda Civic 06 07 08 09 10 11," leading me to suspect that they're selling a "one size fits all" type of product. Does anyone know what the difference is between the OEM versions of these switches? (A41 is quite a bit more expensive than A12.) Has anyone tried installing the Malcayang one on a car that is supposed to take the 36770-SVA-A41 version?
Uh oh.

I'd bought an eBay switch which was also Malcayang, to use on an Si steering wheel I was planning to use. I never noticed the part number you did, but if mine is the same part, we're in the same boat. I'll have to take another look when I'm home.

For US market cars:
36770-SNA-A12 is for the two-spoke steering wheel used in 06-08 sedans.
36770-SVA-A12 is for the three-spoke steering wheel used in '06 coupes.
36770-SVA-A41 is for the three-spoke steering wheel used in '07-'11 coupes, and '09-'11 sedans.

I think the screw locations are different between the two and three spoke steering wheels, so if the part numbers are accurate, the switch isn't correct for you. I don't know what's different between '06 and the other year coupes.

From an eBay listing for the SNA-A12 part

I did a teardown of my Malcayang and my worn OEM Si switches, and while not identical, the individual components were pretty interchangeable, and surprisingly, some of the Malcayang bits look to be better built than OEM. I didn't take things down so far as to see whether the button faces could be swapped, but it may also be the 2-spoke and 3-spoke buttons are shaped differently.

· Registered
2 Posts
hello everybody, thank you for what you are doing to the honda community.
i have a honda 2014 DX from canada with a single radio and i wanna add the controller to my steering because i wanna buy a neu aftermarket unit.
i guess the method shown here it's just for 2007 and 2012 can some one advise me please.
this is what i have in my car

381 - 400 of 402 Posts