8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1801 - 1819 of 1819 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
@deltatechx The civic still trucking along? I am about to hit 310k on mine, but it doesn't get driven near as much as it used to now that I have several cars.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Anyone over 300K with an automatic, what other maintenance have you done besides fluids, tires and brakes?

Anything else specifically? Also is your ATF routine 30K drain and fill and 5-8K on oil changes? Have you ever touched that inline ATF filter?

Any detailed log for maintenance would be much appreciated. :)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Anyone over 300K with an automatic, what other maintenance have you done besides fluids, tires and brakes?

Anything else specifically? Also is your ATF routine 30K drain and fill and 5-8K on oil changes? Have you ever touched that inline ATF filter?

Any detailed log for maintenance would be much appreciated. :)

I cannot account for the first 170k miles, but in the 140k I've put on the car, i have not touched the ATF. The dealership has every record, i'll scoop them up next time im in to verify. Oil changes are set for every 3k, at which point it takes roughly half a quart to a quart to top it off. I'll go another couple weeks before i get it changed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
I cannot account for the first 170k miles, but in the 140k I've put on the car, i have not touched the ATF. The dealership has every record, i'll scoop them up next time im in to verify. Oil changes are set for every 3k, at which point it takes roughly half a quart to a quart to top it off. I'll go another couple weeks before i get it changed.
Thanks, for last 140K have you done any major work or it's all with the dealership?

Any sensors or anything else?

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks, for last 140K have you done any major work or it's all with the dealership?

Any sensors or anything else?
Nothing major in my mind, but the most expensive was getting a new starter and A/C compressor (I took it to a different shop for the A/C cause the dealership shop rate is ridiculous)

I did have one other annoying issue that stemmed from a CAI, TBS and tune. MD requires routine emissions testing, and somehow the mods I installed eventually caused an emissions leak. Went down a rabbit trail trying to fix it, replaced the charcoal canister as well as the EGR valve. Eventually led them to replacing my ECU (twice). The last time, i left the stock tune on and was able to pass emissions. Then I uninstalled everything to save on the headache for next time. That wasn't a terribly expensive journey though.. everything else has been great with car.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Nothing major in my mind, but the most expensive was getting a new starter and A/C compressor (I took it to a different shop for the A/C cause the dealership shop rate is ridiculous)

I did have one other annoying issue that stemmed from a CAI, TBS and tune. MD requires routine emissions testing, and somehow the mods I installed eventually caused an emissions leak. Went down a rabbit trail trying to fix it, replaced the charcoal canister as well as the EGR valve. Eventually led them to replacing my ECU (twice). The last time, i left the stock tune on and was able to pass emissions. Then I uninstalled everything to save on the headache for next time. That wasn't a terribly expensive journey though.. everything else has been great with car.
Thanks, my car is completely stock. Curious what was the mileage when starter and AC compressor gave up?

Being stock means, hopefully don't have to worry about later issue. Fingers crossed though :vtec:

·
Registered
63 Posts
Thanks, my car is completely stock. Curious what was the mileage when starter and AC compressor gave up?

Being stock means, hopefully don't have to worry about later issue. Fingers crossed though :vtec:
The starter went about 3 years ago around 250k, and the AC was a year later. I should clarify on the AC Compressor... it was the AC clutch that actually failed and not the compressor. In trying to save a buck, me and a buddy tried replacing just the AC clutch... Well we ended up puncturing the compressor lol so it all got replaced.

·
Registered
31 Posts
We do medical deliveries to nursing homes. My girlfriend does about 80k and I do about 125k miles a year. I still have the original seat but I had to replace the shifter knob a couple times and the steering wheel once and my center console arm rest is busted. lol
How is your arm rest?still broken? You can have my factory one if you like ? i replaced mine with a black one and it's lying around it's grey and free ? hope your civic is live and well ? gives me faith for my manual 2010 lx coupe!

·
Registered
1 Posts
HEY! I live in evansville as well! My 07 SI has 214k. As for your headlights, i used to work at sams club and their headlight renewal is LEGIT and will have them looking brand new. its fifty bucks total for both.

·
Registered
63 Posts
An update on mileage would be cool @deltatechx ! I was able to reference my comment from a year ago.. sadly only put about 12k miles since then. Doesn't get driven much anymore because of all my other vehicles. I have been slowly piecing exhaust together to return back to fully stock. I did finally do an ATF drain and fill as the trans would occasionally do some rough shifts. Airbag light has come and gone... the car is starting to feel its age in mileage, these things don't like to stay parked! Oddly though, excess oil consumption is gone. I typically have to add a quart of oil at the 3k mile mark just before I get it changed, but I went about 4500 miles before changing it last time and the level was perfect. I just checked a week ago as im at the 3k mile mark and the oil looks and is leveled perfect. Current mileage is about 322k miles.

·
Super Moderator
2,042 Posts
I'm at 240,000 miles now. I NEVER touched the ATF filter. I don't plan on touching it unless my tranny starts to do funny things. Besides, the "filter" is actually a metal mesh. Unless something BREAKS, I don't think replacing the "filter" is worth it.

Regards!
So after seeing a video on someone sawing the "filter" in half, I saw that it is in fact a filter and not a steel mesh. Ordered one and it is sitting in my basement until I get to it. Egg on my face. Still, I'm at 290,000 miles. Lately, my alternator is dead and I replaced the a/c compressor last year. Everything is fine on mine so far.

·
Registered
39 Posts
EdNaviEX- Well at least the alternator is pretty easy on our cars. Not like some cars where you have to crawl under the engine to remove it.

My 08 EX is about to roll over 83,000 miles. WOOOO big miles big miles!
I do not think my old 1981 Dodge Aries I drove in high school made it that far before everything started breaking.

·
Super Moderator
2,042 Posts
EdNaviEX- Well at least the alternator is pretty easy on our cars. Not like some cars where you have to crawl under the engine to remove it.

My 08 EX is about to roll over 83,000 miles. WOOOO big miles big miles!
I do not think my old 1981 Dodge Aries I drove in high school made it that far before everything started breaking.
I used to have a Grand Cherokee ............... Dodge? Wow, I don't need to say about how unreliable Chrysler products (and Heeps) are.

Yes, the alternator looks like a straightforward job, the A/C condenser was a PITA. Mechanic friend had to unscrew the subframe to get it out/in. Fun times.

·
Registered
51 Posts
We do medical deliveries to nursing homes. My girlfriend does about 80k and I do about 125k miles a year.
Damn I guess you guys were hating life when Trump took away the mileage writeoff in 2018 on the Unreimbursed employee expenses. I work for Domino's and was writing off 20K miles a year, over $10K. (Unless you are self-employed,in which case I think you can still write mileage off.)

1801 - 1819 of 1819 Posts