8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 85 Posts

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I can't stand my dealer anymore. They finally pushed me over the edge today.. What do you do when your only local dealer, and Honda of North America BOTH refuse to admit you have a problem with the car and help with it.

I can no longer shift into second gear at or above 5500 RPMs without a 1 in 5 chance of a severe grinding happening. It has no become so consistent that I experience the grind 2-3 times I drive it. I haven't even been into vtec in several days now, and my car feels like my old LX did.

I brought it in, they checked it out and said there is no problem. I drive around with them and after a bit it grinds (this is the 2nd time I've brought it in now for this), the guy is once again firm on his stance that I'm shifting without the clutch completely depressed, and that I'm shifting too aggressively.

Then I bring up the buzzing in my amp - again, that's 'normal' according to Honda Corp, after my dealer called them. Then they ask me what I'd 'like' for them to do, and naturally I tell them I want my second gear / synchros replaced, because I'm only at 3700 miles or so, and I have a feeling my 2nd gear looks like hell from all the grinding. The guy started smiling, I could tell he was just holding back from laughing. He tells me they'll need it for a few days at the shop (and won't give me a loaner) to see if they can get the problem secured, but this has me freaking out now because when I brought it in to check my buzzing amp, they put 17 miles on my car. It didn't even need to be turned on to see the problem, yet somehow it got 17 miles on it.. I can't imagine two days of them ragging the crap out of it, trying to get the problem fixed. And to make it worse, college just started today and I NEED a car, I can't go without one for 'a few days' because there are no 'extra' cars in my household.

Then.. they drop it on me after all this. They turn the problem onto me! The guy literally says something along the lines of "I know at 18 I would've been going nuts in an SI myself, but you're the only one having these problems, and one of the problems is from you driving it aggressively. Maybe you shouldn't be shifting at such high RPMs". Now I have to ask you guys, who would honestly buy the SI if they knew they were going to have constant problems engaging the clutch at ~6k+? The car is a waste if I can't do that. And what's even worse is both of my parents are with the dealership, and they're wondering why I'm shifting it so high. My dad, who likes to pretend like he knows everything, is freaking out saying how I'm abusing the car so badly, when he didn't need to replace a gear on his Saab until 180k into it.

I love my SI and all, but I'm starting to feel hopeless about it. They can't even fix the damn rattles in my car, and it seems like I get a new one every week :mad:

Then I brought up to my parents that if Honda doesn't fix my gear issues, I'm trading in the car for something else. Now this has my parents in an uproar because this is my 2nd brand new car in a year. Naturally, I would be upset as well, but what can I do if I'm driving a brand new car that cant' be fixed?

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
And I don't need any responses about how "I'm the only one who dislikes my Civic." I love my civic, and I want more than anything for them to fix it. So keep the replies civil, please.

And don't lock this thread AGAIN because it has to do with the 2nd gear problem - I know that it exists, but this post wasn't made for us to ponder what causes it.

·
Registered
37 Posts
I dunno what to tell you about your shitty dealership experience but you may want to try changing your MT fluid and see if that helps the grinds. At the very least try to take it easy on 1-2 shifts until something conclusive happens.

·
Registered
1,128 Posts
this sounds like my dealership, except they finally fixed my problem, i took my si in for a clutch click. ok they told me that they ordered a new linkage and itll be in in about a week. they call me back and i bring in the car. they look around and find that i need a new clutch master. then they blame that i am driving my car the way it wasnt designed to be driven.
WTF!!! they fix it under warranty however they said that if it happens again they will not cover it and it will be full price.$800. what i think it is that they just told me to take it easy and to scare me this way i dont bring it back. any way it just sounded like bs. i hope you get your problem fixed.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
Hey man, I'm really sorry to hear all of this. It's really some b/s when someone acts as if there's no problem when you know that there is. I haven't even taken my car up to my local dealership because I know that they'll react the same way about my synchros.

Sh!tty dealerships FTL.

BTW, flaming posts will be removed so if you feel the need to flame, just either hit the X to close the window or hit the back button. Your call. I'm not saying people cannot question his driving style, but don't flame while doing it.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
sf-si-02 said:
Get rid of the si.. I did, and couldn't be happier
I'm only 18, so if possible, I would love to avoid getting another new car (which I already get enough crap for) and getting a new payment plan, etc etc. My 'local' mazda dealer is already trying to rope me in on a MS3, showing me how my payments would go down and whatnot. That's besides the point though, I like my car a lot and I would rather they just fixed it right instead of putting me through the hassle of getting another car.

I just don't understand how you expect someone to put up with a problem of that caliber.. especially on the SI. If I had my old LX, I wouldn't care as much since there would be little point in shifting that high, but I would still be pissed regardless. You can only imagine the look of anger on my face after he blamed it on me and told me to stop shifting that high.

And just to add.. I really don't have a shitty driving style. The amp problem is nothing that I did.. and the gear problem.. it sounds like you all have that as well. I don't slam the shifter when I shift, I've done TWO burnouts since I had the car, and both times it was just out of curiosity because it was my first manual. I don't throw it hard into turns out of fear of wrecking the car, and the only 'abuse' it really gets is when I'm merging onto the highway and I take it up to 65 or so, bringing it into vtec in 1st/2nd. If you call that abuse, then I guess I'm guilty.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I Vtec said:
^^

So I guess from your post, you've never hit vtec in 1st gear? Interesting.. (cation)
Yes I do frequently, you just can't bang it into gear, you must let the synchro do it's job.

Pretty much any MT car is the same way. My WRX was worse than my civic is, but you can avoid grinds by making quick yet deliberate shifts. Like the guy above said... you might try changing out your MTF to something like AMSOIL MTF. It may help your gearbox to be less notchy.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cation said:
Yes I do frequently, you just can't bang it into gear, you must let the synchro do it's job.

Pretty much any MT car is the same way. My WRX was worse than my civic is, but you can avoid grinds by making quick yet deliberate shifts. Like the guy above said... you might try changing out your MTF to something like AMSOIL MTF. It may help your gearbox to be less notchy.
I'm not 'banging' it into any gear. I shift into 2nd how I shift even when driving normally - clutch in, push it back into gear release clutch. Yet it only happens at high RPMs - hence, there is a problem. I'm not some maniac like that guy on youtube who was throwing his whole body behind his shifts to make them lightning fast.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I Vtec said:
I'm not 'banging' it into any gear. I shift into 2nd how I shift even when driving normally - clutch in, push it back into gear release clutch. Yet it only happens at high RPMs - hence, there is a problem. I'm not some maniac like that guy on youtube who was throwing his whole body behind his shifts to make them lightning fast.

Don't know what to tell you then man. Try the MTF, if it doesn't fix the problem, the only other option is to fix it yourself or try a different dealer.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Dude, stop going to that dealership and go to a different dealership. That's what I did to fix my gear grind. And forget the ppl that suggest to simply swap the MTF. That's a bandaid solution that's only a temporary fix. I wouldn't settle for anything less than a syncromesh replacement.

As for them putting 17 miles on your car, I say it's worth it if they can replicate the issue. Dang Honda techs drove my car for a total of maybe 50 miles before they could finally catch the grind.

·
Registered
302 Posts
Yeah it's really hard to say. I've had zero problems with my transmission. Perhaps damage was done when you were trying to learn how to drive a manual? It could be the way its built. Yamaha transmissions esp on the r6 and r1 are extremely clunky and terrible from 1st to 2nd, however they are engineered perfectly. I realize its a different machine though.

This is your 1st manual though. Are you giving it gas before letting the clutch out?

You have said its one fluid motion? Well I'd first change the transmission fluid before making a drastic and costly decision of getting rid of the car.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
aki said:
Dude, stop going to that dealership and go to a different dealership. That's what I did to fix my gear grind. And forget the ppl that suggest to simply swap the MTF. That's a bandaid solution that's only a temporary fix. I wouldn't settle for anything less than a syncromesh replacement.

As for them putting 17 miles on your car, I say it's worth it if they can replicate the issue. Dang Honda techs drove my car for a total of maybe 50 miles before they could finally catch the grind.
The problem is, there are no dealerships around me other than this one. If I had known it was going to come down to that, I would've gotten my first choice, but I didn't because the closest dealership was an hour and a half away.

And I realize 17 miles isn't a lot.. in general. But when they put 17 miles on it, the problem didn't even require the motor being turned on. All they had to do was turn the key 1 click to get the radio on, and viola.

achapman said:
Yeah it's really hard to say. I've had zero problems with my transmission. Perhaps damage was done when you were trying to learn how to drive a manual? It could be the way its built. Yamaha transmissions esp on the r6 and r1 are extremely clunky and terrible from 1st to 2nd, however they are engineered perfectly. I realize its a different machine though.
I suppose it's possible, but I don't think so. There are too many others with the exact same problem. And I didn't really learn on this car per say, it was just my first manual. I knew how to drive it before I got it, and all my shifts since day one were spot-on. The only rough shifts I ever really had in the SI were on the car I tested, not the one I bought.

And when I'm letting the clutch out, I slowly start giving it throttle to avoid any jerkiness. This is what my dealer told me to do when she was getting my refinement down on the first SI I drove

·
Registered
163 Posts
Can't say I would take the dealers reply as final, but I have to question both sides of this story. Do you shift from 1st gear above 5000 RPM's frequently? If so is there a reason for it? I can't honestly say I have ever ran 1st over 5500 unless I was trying to have a fast start for racing. If your not racing I don't see running first past 2500 - 3000 and then shifting to 2nd. Correct me if I am wrong but first gear is setup as a startup gear and winding it out is pointless in normal driving. Now on the flip side of the coin, the SI was built to be driven hard, and proof of this would be the VTEC engagement at 5500-6k. So it should be able to take this but I wouldn't do it every day.

Just some feedback here

Good luck with getting it fixed.

·
Registered
302 Posts
I see, well since you have driven a manual before this car, I'd rule that out. I would def. try changing the fluid. A quality fluid can make a difference. Much like synthetic oil makes a difference.

What is the production date of yours? I thought they ended up changing the fluid for production to a newer one to combat the grind...

Do you let the car warm up before driving it? I always wait a few minutes for it to warm up. At least till I have about 5 bars in the temp gauge.

I remember once that I did have 3rd gear pop the shifter back into neutral, but I ruled it out as my fault since I was just kinda being lazy with the shifter and using a few fingers to shift....

Have you changed the tranny fluid?

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
I grind ALL the time when I try to shift too fast. When I wait until the RPMs start dropping (the "lag") then I don't grind 2nd. The rest of the gears seem fine to this quick shifting, it's only 2nd that does it.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
Izzy said:
I grind ALL the time when I try to shift too fast. When I wait until the RPMs start dropping (the "lag") then I don't grind 2nd. The rest of the gears seem fine to this quick shifting, it's only 2nd that does it.
I don't think we should be forced to adapt to our transmissions' faults. I expect my car to shift at 8k RPM from 1st gear fine. And it does. If it doesn't I'll take it to the shop till they fix it.

To the OP, for one why didn't you call them out for the 17-mile joyride? Also, if the grind's really bad I'd just have them drive it around. What's 15 miles of them thrashing the car, if it would fix that issue? $800 Transmission grind >> tech joyride, IMO.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
aki said:
I don't think we should be forced to adapt to our transmissions' faults. I expect my car to shift at 8k RPM from 1st gear fine. And it does. If it doesn't I'll take it to the shop till they fix it.

To the OP, for one why didn't you call them out for the 17-mile joyride? Also, if the grind's really bad I'd just have them drive it around. What's 15 miles of them thrashing the car, if it would fix that issue? $800 Transmission grind >> tech joyride, IMO.
Wasn't there a whole other thread about the 2nd gear syncrhos being tougher, therefore necessitating the need to shift just a bit slower for 2nd? I could have sworn there was.

1 - 20 of 85 Posts