8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone!
i just got my Yonaka catback exhaust for my ‘11 civic coupe (LX). I had it installed by my mechanic, and it’s rattling.
At first it rattled in when the car was in Reverse, my mechanic said it’s a little too long/big for my car so he cut a little piece of the frame. It didn’t rattle anymore. Just drove it home and now it’s rattling in Park (after I switch from Drive). It doesn’t rattle every time in Park. I am going to go back to the shop this afternoon but I’m going crazy.
my boyfriend has the same exhaust on his ‘09 civic coupe (LX) and it’s flawless.
Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated!!

·
Registered
2010 Acura CSX
35 Posts
Hi there,

Congratulation on your new exhaust, way to go girl ^_^

I am guessing here, but that is what I can come up with, so here they are:

1) I assume your mechanic has check the fitment of the exhaust to make sure it is not touching the chassis with the engine operating, and also check the condition of all the rubber exhaust hangers and make sure they are in good condition
2) If you retain your catalytic converter, check the condition of the heat shield and their mounting bolt, as it is a well know fact that the heat shield will corrode away and cause a rattling. It is especially true in area with snow and road salt. My 10 year's old CSX heat shield is rotted and cause a rattle. I use a large stainless steel pipe clamp to tighten the whole thing so it is not rattling when I stopped at a light in gear.
3) Last check the condition of your engine mount since excessive vibration on the engine might cause the exhaust to shake badly and might cause the exhaust to touch the chassis.

If you found out that none of the above issues are in your ride, (I am speculating here) then try to hang a piece of brick (or weight) at the the of the tail pipe and see if the rattling goes away. If it does may be the exhaust is hitting it nature vibration freq at whatever gear your're in. The solution is to add some weight to the exhaust by welding.

Cheers!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi there,

Congratulation on your new exhaust, way to go girl ^_^

I am guessing here, but that is what I can come up with, so here they are:

1) I assume your mechanic has check the fitment of the exhaust to make sure it is not touching the chassis with the engine operating, and also check the condition of all the rubber exhaust hangers and make sure they are in good condition
2) If you retain your catalytic converter, check the condition of the heat shield and their mounting bolt, as it is a well know fact that the heat shield will corrode away and cause a rattling. It is especially true in area with snow and road salt. My 10 year's old CSX heat shield is rotted and cause a rattle. I use a large stainless steel pipe clamp to tighten the whole thing so it is not rattling when I stopped at a light in gear.
3) Last check the condition of your engine mount since excessive vibration on the engine might cause the exhaust to shake badly and might cause the exhaust to touch the chassis.

If you found out that none of the above issues are in your ride, (I am speculating here) then try to hang a piece of brick (or weight) at the the of the tail pipe and see if the rattling goes away. If it does may be the exhaust is hitting it nature vibration freq at whatever gear your're in. The solution is to add some weight to the exhaust by welding.

Cheers!
Hey there! I’m so proud of this and the K&N intake I ‘helped’ put it (I put the rubber on the heat shield lol). Thank you so much for the suggestions! I’m completely new to wanting more for my car than basic care so I’m learning as I go and intend to keep this civic until I run it to the ground. The mechanic is going to lift it tomorrow and check the alignment to see if he can readjust it at all. From the ground he thinks it’s hitting into the body which is causing the vibrations. I have a short video where it’s not vibrating as much as it was but still got to catch some of it, but I cannot figure out how to add the video to this post :(

·
Registered
2010 Acura CSX
35 Posts
Nice, you can post some pictures afterward. Get the exhaust sort out as soon as you can, since you do not want the exhaust to rub on the chassis and cause damages.

With the Engine running put the car in Park with hand brake secure and make sure it is safe, if the exhaust rattle use a piece of long wooden stick and push the exhaust under each side of the car and see if the vibration goes away. If it does there is a big chance of the exhaust is hitting the chassis.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Nice, you can post some pictures afterward. Get the exhaust sort out as soon as you can, since you do not want the exhaust to rub on the chassis and cause damages.

With the Engine running put the car in Park with hand brake secure and make sure it is safe, if the exhaust rattle use a piece of long wooden stick and push the exhaust under each side of the car and see if the vibration goes away. If it does there is a big chance of the exhaust is hitting the chassis.

Thank you so much for your suggestions and input! I truly appreciate it, I feel like I'm going crazy over this but rattling cannot be good. As soon as it's sorted out I'll post a picture of it :)

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Just an update: I went to my mechanic three times to have the rattling taken care of. He even used an air hammer and trimmed the frame so it wouldn't hit and make the rattling noise. After the third time and it rattled again I just about lost it. My boyfriend looked up a local exhaust shop (literally 2 minutes away from us) and so far so good! They adjusted the exhaust towards the middle (I am so sorry, I have no clue what exactly they moved, but that part of the exhaust was lowered from what I understand). But it was so the middle part of the exhaust does not bang up onto the metal under the frame, and they continued to trim some metal on my car by the end pipe so it would not rattle there either. I've done two test drives so far- and it sounds great! Fingers crossed!!!!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts