8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I’m kind of new to the car scene but I’ve had an interest in cars for a very long time. I’ve had a civic EX for about two years now and I’ve been wanting to do some modifications just to get me started. Any tips and ideas?

·
Registered
21 Posts
Upgrade your brakes. Probably the most straightforward system to work on and see drivability results. Take it from someone who has installed almost every braking component wrong; it's hard to get it so wrong that your brakes don't work. A tip: Those clips on the back brake pads are there so you don't put them in backward. I once decided that was bullshit and cut them off to make them fit, accidentally installing the pads upside down, friction end facing the caliper. And proceeded to chew my rotors almost in half as I "broke in the pads." Mind you, the entire time I had the pads upside down, the car stopped just fine, just with a horrible noise.

·
Registered
583 Posts
To make it a bit sportier, I would upgrade the shocks and install some lowering springs to make the car handle a lot better. It won't be slammed with this setup and you should be able to slide in 2 fingers to the gap no problem. I'm also throwing in 17 inch wheels from the Si to make it handle even better.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Upgrade your brakes. Probably the most straightforward system to work on and see drivability results. Take it from someone who has installed almost every braking component wrong; it's hard to get it so wrong that your brakes don't work. A tip: Those clips on the back brake pads are there so you don't put them in backward. I once decided that was bullshit and cut them off to make them fit, accidentally installing the pads upside down, friction end facing the caliper. And proceeded to chew my rotors almost in half as I "broke in the pads." Mind you, the entire time I had the pads upside down, the car stopped just fine, just with a horrible noise.
Ahhh I see. What kind of brakes did you get?

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
To make it a bit sportier, I would upgrade the shocks and install some lowering springs to make the car handle a lot better. It won't be slammed with this setup and you should be able to slide in 2 fingers to the gap no problem. I'm also throwing in 17 inch wheels from the Si to make it handle even better.
Any recommendations?

·
Registered
24 Posts
You could do a spoiler if you don't mind the added drag. The 8th gen also comes with really dim lights, so that would probably make a great upgrade.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts