8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
483 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
ok so i have had trouble with it. been testing it out. for example, ill redline and shift fast, it will usually grind second. then i will redline shift slow, like really slow or a regular shift, no grind, and sometimes it will grind just on a regular fast shift. and sometimes when i put it in second or third gear it make a weird sound like the gear box is jiggling, but not necessarily grinding. do you think i should just take it in? because my dealer said that my car was know and will most likely have gear problems. (he said it like it was no big deal.) so should i take it in now. or just not worry about it until a while later?? and i know i have the clutch all the way down when i shift. lol.

i know this is an on going problem in this forum. but i only want this answered. :bunny: please and thank you! i just need opinions.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
This thread could get huge but here are just a few starter tips.

First, fine-tune your technique. Make sure you are absolutely stomping the clutch, just to be 110% positive that the pedal is to the floor before attempting to take it out of gear. I too used to have the occasional grind going into 2nd (and every once in a while, 3rd) and I thought it had nothing to do with my technique. I've been consciously stomping the clutch in ever since and haven't ground once since then that I recall.

Also, it helps if you bias the 1->2 shift ever-so-slightly diagonally towards yourself, instead of straight down. Pull down but also towards you somewhat.

If you're still grinding with these tips, why not test for clutch drag as explained in this thread?

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/transmission/203074-diy-2nd-gear-grind-fix-clutch-adjust.html

Just keep in mind that this adjustment can go wrong. If you adjust too much, you risk putting too much strain on the master cylinder, which means the clutch is not fully engaged when you are off the pedal.

Finally, consider AMSoil synchromesh transmission fluid, shifter bushings, and then motor mounts in that order until you reach a satisfactory point. For me, it just took AMSoil MTF and a little more thought into the actual shift action.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
Also, you appear to have a 2009 or 2010 Si based on your avatar, so I'm ruling out synchronizer damage for the time being... But the more often you grind them up, the worse it's going to get. Granted, they can take their fare share of abuse IMO.

·
Registered
2,003 Posts
You could, but it will very likely just be a waste of your time, and nothing will be done to remedy this, unless you've truly got something mechanically wrong. Be ready for them to keep your car for a few days, and then tell you they couldn't duplicate the issue. It wouldn't hurt to document your findings on-file with the local dealership.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts