8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
been getting my balls busted lately about my yellow headlights from only ONE specific cops numerous times. no one else. no state trooper, no other county cop pulls me over but HIM!...are they really illegal (In NY) as he says? and as for that, are HIDs illegal up to a certain temp?

·
Registered
85 Posts
yea in headlights only clear colors work like 4300k and 6000k. I got 30k extreme blue in my car since june and got my first ticket out in Brooklyn last saturday. Then that sunday got warned by a toll officer that by lights are illegal.

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
*sigh*
Traffic Rules-
Section 4-09
Equiptment: Clause C:
Colored Lights prohibited
No Operator of a motorcycle or motor vehicle other than authorized emergency vehicles, shall operate said vehicles when displaying other than white or yellow lights visible from in front of the vehicle.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
*sigh*
Traffic Rules-
Section 4-09
Equiptment: Clause C:
Colored Lights prohibited
No Operator of a motorcycle or motor vehicle other than authorized emergency vehicles, shall operate said vehicles when displaying other than white or yellow lights visible from in front of the vehicle.
as it says, other than white or yellow lights...meaning, yellow lights are legal on a vehicle, correct?

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
As far as HID: I know here in CA it is illegal to have HID's unless the car came equipped with them from the manufacturer...ya...makes a lot of sense...Not sure about other states, but likely similar..

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
As far as HID: I know here in CA it is illegal to have HID's unless the car came equipped with them from the manufacturer...ya...makes a lot of sense...Not sure about other states, but likely similar..
if they're not DOT approved, then it is illegal within the 50 states

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
if they're not DOT approved, then it is illegal within the 50 states
werd...DOT or not here in CA you can't have them unless they came equipped...The CHP site even states "They may help you see better, but they are illegal.":pat:

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
werd...DOT or not here in CA you can't have them unless they came equipped...The CHP site even states "They may help you see better, but they are illegal.":pat:
no kits are DOT approved. Of course many sellers will tell you they are however on the box it will say "off-road only" which makes them not liable for any lawsuit.

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
no kits are DOT approved. Of course many sellers will tell you they are however on the box it will say "off-road only" which makes them not liable for any lawsuit.
Hell, you learn something new every day! Obviously the bulbs must be (at least some) or they couldn't sell them on cars from the factory...and you couldn't legally replace the bulbs

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
Hell, you learn something new every day! Obviously the bulbs must be (at least some) or they couldn't sell them on cars from the factory...and you couldn't legally replace the bulbs
depends.
rebased bulbs are illegal since they do not comply with dot specs.
Non-rebased bulbs must meet DOT and ECE specs

·
Registered
1,913 Posts
Well thats one thing about Memphis,TN ... H.I.Ds, yellow headlights, blue turn signals or any crazy lighting period they could care less I have had either yellow,blue or purple headlights in my cars since i've been driving... I guess in NY the cops dont have enough to do...

·
Registered
12,546 Posts
Well thats one thing about Memphis,TN ... H.I.Ds, yellow headlights, blue turn signals or any crazy lighting period they could care less I have had either yellow,blue or purple headlights in my cars since i've been driving... I guess in NY the cops dont have enough to do...
it is the fact that they are enforcing the law!
It's not our fault cops in Memphis don't care about the law

·
Registered
926 Posts
yea in headlights only clear colors work like 4300k and 6000k. I got 30k extreme blue in my car since june and got my first ticket out in Brooklyn last saturday. Then that sunday got warned by a toll officer that by lights are illegal.
30 k?????? IS a joke not usefull, its a gimmick. I wouldnt go beyond 8k, 4,300k and 5k if u want an oem look, 6k if u want some color. ALL I have to say about 30K is wow....its like having a black light :SHOCKED:

·
Registered
6,543 Posts
been getting my balls busted lately about my yellow headlights from only ONE specific cops numerous times. no one else. no state trooper, no other county cop pulls me over but HIM!...are they really illegal (In NY) as he says? and as for that, are HIDs illegal up to a certain temp?
illegal... I get it from only one cop all the time. i recently changed my plates, and I haven't seen him lately, but it was about two consecutive weekends and he caught me a couple months back. Just got stopped on base and told that they're illegal too, and that was 2 nights ago.

·
Registered
4,372 Posts
In NY now, any real mods to a vehicle are illegal if an officer sees that they may disrupt normal driving. Like cali, stock lightings are the only form that are acceptable, yellow headlights and HID are a no-no.

I just moved from there to FL, where we have no laws, no inspections, can drive without doors on your car, people in the back of trucks, HID to 100000K, and red headlights if you want... but the cops can still pull you over if its TOO much.

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
well..just checked nyc.gov and found the traffic rules section that striker posted..it says yellow or white only...but nothing about low beams! so i printed it out and im gunna keep it in the glove box to show this effing cop...yeah i know all those southern states u can drive a damn lawnmower with disco lights all over it on the parkway and they dont care! wtf!

·
Premium Member
10,506 Posts
well..just checked nyc.gov and found the traffic rules section that striker posted..it says yellow or white only...but nothing about low beams! so i printed it out and im gunna keep it in the glove box to show this effing cop...yeah i know all those southern states u can drive a damn lawnmower with disco lights all over it on the parkway and they dont care! wtf!
Good luck! I'm guessing there is additional vehicle codes that you did not read...I'm sure your cop buddy will be happy to inform you next time he pulls you over...:popcorn:

·
Registered
690 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
ironically...just last night after i printed that out from the nyc.gov website, i merged onto the parkway as a state trooper passed the exit ramp i was coming on to...and bam!, pulled me over, first time by a state trooper...after i explained who my PBA card was from to him, he called me a **** and an ******* to my face! i shoulda been the one calling him a ****! he was the one being a **** about it!...but anyways, i ripped em off 5 mins ago lol.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts