8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
21 - 23 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
I just wanted to say thank you to the folks who pointed this product out on Aliexpress and for advice on how to actually put it on.

My steering wheel was pretty far gone, the leather is actually so bad that it crumbled in some areas, completely wearing away and exposing the material underneath. So I did a bit of prep-work by covering those areas with tape to give the cover a smooth-ish area to go over and prevent an uneven surface. I can confirm that you need to keep your old cover on, as the cover is sized correctly to go over it.
Automotive tire Tire Rim Thumb Bumper

Like everyone else, I had to take the steering wheel off the car, and can confirm that a bit of trimming is required on the left and right "wings" to prevent covering screw holes and other clearances. Nothing crazy there, and for assembly I used a bit of Super77 adhesive to keep those wings down while I assembled the plastic trim back on (optional, it just makes it less fiddly/keeps things tight). The only other thing I did was start the stitching from the top and bottom non-perforated areas and make my way towards the wings. This is because if do it from the wings outwards, you might find yourself with some misalignment where the two areas transition.
Motor vehicle Circuit component Hood Black Automotive design
Tire Wheel Bicycle wheel Bicycle wheel rim Bicycle tire

Because I took my time with this, I took my wheel off the car on a Friday, did the trim over two days on and off, and then put it back in the car on Sunday night. You can do the whole thing in probably half a day if you are really dedicated to finishing it but I didn't want to rush it.
Automotive design Automotive tire Motor vehicle Bicycle part Carbon
Motor vehicle Automotive tire Automotive design Plant Wheel

As for how it feels- coming from a steering wheel with hard busted leather and a sharp edged hole under my left palm, it obviously feels incredible. It did add a bit of thickness, but not as much as I was initially worried about. My original wheel probably shrank over the years from use and abuse, because the cover did slightly overlap in some zones (the 10 and 2 o'clock grip zones), so the thickness isn't something I really notice while driving. I would say the thumb grip on the 9 and 3 o'clock positions is even improved. If you drive like me with your hands at the 9 and 3 o'clock position or in gangster pose on the highway, you probably won't notice at all

·
Super Moderator
2,510 Posts
STILL haven't gotten around to doing this, my volume buttons have faded steadily over the years, so I did get replacment buttons. The gray trim's paint is coming off (next to the volume buttons), so that will have to be painted. Just a matter of time before I to this. Thanks for sharing! Great work!

21 - 23 of 23 Posts