8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hey 8thcivic! I was researching my options for wrapping my steering wheel and came upon this thread. A few people mentioned this Xuji wheel wrap and had good things to say, so I decided to pick one up! I was so impressed with the quality that I thought I would post a review and a few install tips.

When I purchased mine it cost me $17 with shipping and arrived in one week, which is really impressive for Aliexpress considering everything comes from China. I've waited 3 weeks for a phone case that I had ordered on Aliexpress before, so when it arrived at my door 1 week after ordering i was really surprised.

Here's the link to the Aliexpress listing.

I don't have any pictures, but what you get in the box is:
  • The leather steering wheel wrap.
  • Two spools of thread. Way more than you need.
  • A long ass needle.
  • A roll of double sided tape.
  • A plastic spatula thing for tucking the leather under things.
  • A set of instructions.

The instructions are actually pretty thorough so I won't go into the full install here, but I wanted to post a few tips that I wish I knew and weren't super clear when I started.

The wrap is made to go OVER the existing leather on the wheel. Don't cut the existing leather off. I think the RedLineGoods wrap is made to replace the existing leather which is why I was unsure.

Make sure you take the steering wheel off and completely disassemble it. There is a great tutorial on here on how to take the steering wheel off that I used. The instructions the wrap comes with talk about being able to do it with the wheel on the car and all the trim pieces intact and then using that plastic tool to tuck the leather under the trim, but I promise that won't work on our cars. Also, this wrap adds quite a bit of thickness to the wheel. I personally like the extra meat on the wheel, but it does introduce some issues when getting the trim pieces back on. The plastic trim on the face of the wheel that goes around the audio controls is supposed to clip into little slots on the edges. You'll see when you get it disassembled. Well, with the added thickness of the new leather I wasn't able to push in the trim piece enough to get it to clip in so it doesn't have quite the nice flush look it used too. It doesn't look bad by any means, but I'll post some pics for you to see.

Also, one little thing, but when you finish getting the wrap on you may find that the material covers some of the screw holes for the trim pieces. You'll just have to do a little trimming. Overall the wrap is bigger than needed so you won't have to worry about it not covering everything at least.

Get a curved upholstery needle. The one that is came with was fine (and it's what I used) but a curved needle would have made the whole project go quicker. Also, the kit came with more than double thread needed, so don't feel bad about wasting any. If you mess up and need to start over you'll still have plenty of thread to do so. I might have used half of one of the spools of thread. When I'd spool out the tread I'd need to do a section I would use about 3x the length of the section to make sure I wouldn't run out.

It isn't super clear in the instructions, but you are supposed to go every other stitch when you go back and forth sewing the two halves together. I don't really know much about sewing or upholstery, so I have no idea if I'm using the correct terms. Also there aren't an equal amount of stitches on each half of the wrap, so you'll have to be aware of that when sewing to avoid it being uneven. You'll notice this when you get to the points where the leather switches from perforated to smooth and you have that seam where the two leather types are sewn together. If you aren't careful this seam won't line up when you sew the halves together. I remedied this by just sewing through every stitch (instead of every other stitch) on the side that is "behind" for about 5-10 stitches until everything is lines back up properly. This just sorta "catches up" the side that is behind. Other than these two things it was a really simple process and the included instructions go into pretty good detail on how to do all the sewing.

Final fit and finish is really impressive. The leather looks super nice (especially considering it isn't real leather) and has none of that cheap faux leather look. It's a great upgrade to the worn stock steering wheel. The only two fitment issues were that it was pretty loose around the grips at 10 & 2 (you can see it's sort of wrinkly there) and it was SUPER tight around the top of the wheel. I don't really think the second one is a complaint, it's just that I had to really tighten the thread there to get it to completely wrap the wheel in a way that I didn't have to anywhere else.

So for the price I give it a solid 4.5/5.

·
Super Moderator
2,512 Posts
Wow, nice pictures! thanks for sharing! I have this same kit but for my R18. I have many mods to do and this is one of them. Interesting how you use the double sided tape to cover pretty much all of the wrap whereas others have suggested to use it sparingly. I've never "sown" anything together, so this project will be my first.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Wow, nice pictures! thanks for sharing! I have this same kit but for my R18. I have many mods to do and this is one of them. Interesting how you use the double sided tape to cover pretty much all of the wrap whereas others have suggested to use it sparingly. I've never "sown" anything together, so this project will be my first.
I'm not really sure if the tape did much, honestly. It sorta held it in place before I started threading it together, but I can't say that it really gave it any sort of support or structure. I could have used half as much and gotten the same results.

·
Registered
159 Posts
I'm not really sure if the tape did much, honestly. It sorta held it in place before I started threading it together, but I can't say that it really gave it any sort of support or structure. I could have used half as much and gotten the same results.
Or none at all and avoid most of the wrinkles...
I have the same wrap on my FA1 and the damn tape ruined what should have been a wonderful wrap.

Maybe someday I'll get around to remove it and re-stitch the thing again to fix a couple of miss-aligned holes.

On the bright side, I have had mine for almost 8 months using it daily, with no extra care whatsoever and sitting half the day under the sun.
No fade, no drying of the material, no peeling, no nothing!
this thing is amazing

·
Super Moderator
2,512 Posts
I believe Bplurple only used the tape on the top part of the wrap and nothing else. No wrinkles on his install if memory serves.

Or none at all and avoid most of the wrinkles...
I have the same wrap on my FA1 and the damn tape ruined what should have been a wonderful wrap.

Maybe someday I'll get around to remove it and re-stitch the thing again to fix a couple of miss-aligned holes.

On the bright side, I have had mine for almost 8 months using it daily, with no extra care whatsoever and sitting half the day under the sun.
No fade, no drying of the material, no peeling, no nothing!
this thing is amazing
Very encouraging! I hate when mods don't last. Thing one seems to be a winner!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 · (Edited)
The winkles on mine aren't due to the tape, it's due to it being loose in a few places like the grips and around the audio controls. I love the wrap, but I can admit that it isn't perfectly sized.

Edit: Also, I should mention that you could probably get away with not using the tape at all. There is enough friction between the steering wheel and the wrap that it isn't going to slide around once it's installed. I think the tape is just to keep it in place when you start.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I just finished installing mine a few days ago, took about 2hrs and I didn't remove the steering wheel, just loosened the 4-6 screws holding the steering wheels front bezel. I ended up using the fabric double sided tape from walmart and also used the curved needle. The curved needle did help with threading and I did have to redo one of the threads. Also, the tape from walmart is way easier to work with, it allowed for repositioning very easily. For the wrap being $20, I'm pretty happy with the results. I just wished the red was more pronounced. I still have 1 full spool of thread left.

·
Registered
185 Posts
Did y'all take off the old leather, or just install over it?
If you went "over", does it make the wheel noticeably "fatter"?
Thanks

·
Registered
1,832 Posts
I just finished installing mine a few days ago, took about 2hrs and I didn't remove the steering wheel, just loosened the 4-6 screws holding the steering wheels front bezel. I ended up using the fabric double sided tape from walmart and also used the curved needle. The curved needle did help with threading and I did have to redo one of the threads. Also, the tape from walmart is way easier to work with, it allowed for repositioning very easily. For the wrap being $20, I'm pretty happy with the results. I just wished the red was more pronounced. I still have 1 full spool of thread left.

Looks good, BUT you missed what appears to be every other stitch. The red thread should have been threaded through all stitching on the leather. Had you done so, the red would be much more pronounced.

This is what it should look like.

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
^ That's what I did. It also makes it a more uniform pull on the leather since the spacing between stitches is half.

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I don't think there is really a wrong way to do it, but the instructions definitely show going every other stitch. I don't think it makes a real difference other than thread usage and sewing time though.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey guys, apologies for bringing back a thread from the dead, but I was wondering if there is a "final" consensus on whether the OEM leather wrap for Si wheels needed to be removed prior to installation since I've been seeing threads go back and forth on this.

My wrap (from "mewant" on Aliexpress) came in today and I test fit it around the wheel, and it did seem like it required a bit of a stretch to get a "seamless" close on the wrap if I draped it over the OEM Si leather. I am unsure if this slight stretch is desired or if it's just going to bulge when I do the stitching. Has anyone, or can anyone, point me to some examples of wraps done with the OEM leather wrap removed?

·
Super Moderator
2,512 Posts
From what I recall, the wrap is made to be installed on top of the old wheel material. Yes, if you have the time to FULLY take the old leather off, do so, but it is not required. The new wrap WILL winkle a bit (I've seen a few jobs) and make it look a little "loose", but that just supports the idea of leaving the old stuff on.

I'm in the same boat as I have yet to install mine. Hope this helps and good luck!

·
Registered
665 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 · (Edited)
Do not remove the existing leather, these replacements wraps are made to go over the existing steering wheel. At least for the one I installed here it would've been really loose had I removed the stock wheel leather. The stiches can only cinch the material up so much and even on my installation here it was still a bit loose on the grip area at the 10 & 2 positions, so I can only imagine the fitment issues had I removed the stock leather.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts