8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just picked up the '06 tonight (white/auto/fog lamps/day-night mirror). What do I need to get the XM radio to work, from the equipment side (I know I have to subscribe to the service)? Just an antenna? :confused:

Never had XM before and want to give the 3 month free deal a shot.:)

TIA

·
Registered
98 Posts
Well... You need the $500ish kit to install the factory one. I had planned on buying one eventually when the price goes down but I think I'll stick with my Roady 2 that was $50 at Best Buy plugged into the aux input. The Honda kit should integrate well but at 10 times the cost and a huge install process I don't really think it's worth it.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply..I think I'll pass as you did and hookup to the aux and go from there.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I have opted for the factory install kit. Install 10/21. We will see how all come out. I couldn't wait for an aftermarket product to hit the streets.

·
Crazy Yellow Puppet
26,930 Posts
CoZo6 said:
I have opted for the factory install kit. Install 10/21. We will see how all come out. I couldn't wait for an aftermarket product to hit the streets.
??? Aftermarket parts have been on the streets for a while. Any Best Buy or Circuit City will give you a great deal, and even financing if you need it. If you're looking for something that's fully integrated, go for the factory install, but if you just want XM for a great price that sounds good, get a $50 or $100 unit, stick it in one of the 700 pockets the new Civic has and drive!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
We were going to give that a try, but the wife wants the "factory" feature so we spent a few bucks more. Now that $50 Unit in my F450 truck just might woirk out fine!!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Actually the install went ok. The antenna is inside the car, while XM suggests mounting it outside the car. Took it back to Honda, and the engineers are looking "it over" since XM wants the antenna on the outside (where the guiys with the navi have their antenna).
Oh well, so far, so good *except for large buildings that face south..seems like here in Colorado the satelite is quite south and large buildings block the reception a bit, Kinda like when I am in the garage..LOL:)

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
I had problems with my D1 and my XM visiting Canada. Crossing frequencies would cause the Navigational system to run backwards, as if I had the car in reverse. Sucks ass...

To me, XM isn't really worth it. I don't really find any of the channels all that great. Is anybody using Sirius? I think I want to change over to them for my Civic but I wanna know if anybody has experience with both and prefers Sirius over XM. I could seriously do without Howard Stern though :(

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
^ You suck. Howard Stern is funny. Plus, there are many other good stations on Sirius. You know, you can block stations if you want, then you can be safe in your own sound bubble. :)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts