8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok, this may be a stupid question but i'm new to this so bear with me ;-) I just bought a 06 LX Civic. I'm looking at buying the Delphi SA10175 portable XM radio unit. It has plug and play and also an FM modulator....I saw a review where the guy stated he plugged it into his auxillary stereo input in his car. Is there one on the LX? or am I stuck with having to use the FM modulator? any help on this is greatly appreciated....this is my first post and i've been reading everyones previous posts. You guys are awesome and a wealth of information!! keep it coming!

·
Registered
21,304 Posts
Hello and welcome to the site CivicChick :wavey:

The LX comes with the 160-watt AM/FM/CD 6-speaker audio system that lets you play your MP3-or Windows Media Audio-compatible Cd's. There's an MP3/auxiliary imput jack.

So, to answer your question, yes the LX has one :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Cool! Thanks for the info. I knew there was the MP3 jack but I didn't know if it would allow you to plug in the XM or not.... I'll be back with more questions later :rolleyes:

·
Registered
79 Posts
I just bought an '06 LX sedan and I had to have the auxillary jack installed by the dealer. I worked it into the deal so it was free. The radio has an AUX button but no input jack unless it's on the back of the radio. Currently I use the jack I had installed for my iPod but also am thinking about a portable satellite radio to plug in there.

·
Registered
342 Posts
And the cool thing is that if you have the right addapter you can hook in other audio sources as well. We have portabe DVD player that we take along for the kids to watch in the back seat. Now I'm just not sure if I want to listen to the sound from "The Incredibles," or "Monsters Inc," all the way to where we are going. But its a thought...

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Silver06, my LX did have the auxillary jack?? mine is located directly under cigarette lighter adapter plug in....I heard some other people say they didn't have one....why do some LX's have it and other's don't?

·
Registered
79 Posts
Sounds like the same jack I had installed. Maybe your dealer was thinking ahead and ordered it that way? Either way, sounds like you have what is needed. Glad to hear it. Let me know if you do buy the satellite radio, I'm interested to see how well it works. I think we would have close to the same set-up if/when I buy mine.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I ended up buying it over the weekend. I got the Delphi RoadyXT (read tons of reviews on it and it seems to be one of the better like units)... I put it in without even using the auxillary jack. I'm just using the FM transmittor to the radio and it sounds like it's CD quality. I was worried about having to run the antennae through the seal on the rear window and slightly worried about someone messing with it on the car. For now I mounted it on the rear console and it has perfect signal 100% of the time. With the LX the only thing I don't like is not having radio controls on the steering wheel. So I mounted the XM at the base of the gear shifter so when my arm is resting on the center console it lays perfectly to change the XM stations without having to look down. So far I love it!

·
Registered
79 Posts
Thanks CivicChick, I'll keep that model in mind when I'm looking again. Glad to hear your up and running!! I too wish I had the steering wheel controls for the radio. I have them in my other vehicle. Oh well, next time......

·
Registered
18 Posts
FM Modulator

Hey CivicChick,

I kinda did the same as you. I have the Delphi SkiFi unit. As the Civic's antenna is in the rear glass I mounted my magnetic antenna right at the very back edge of the roof. I ran the wire through the channel, around the rear window, through the trunk, and finally through the side sill to the front. I sit my radio in the storage area right in front of the gear shift and then use my remote. Just had to play around with the recommended stations until I found the best one. The FM modulator works just fine. Absolutely no complaints.

The only thing you have to do that's a bit unusual is use just a few dabs of silicone sealant to hold the antenna wire in place around your back window. The Civic has no rubber gasket around the window like a lot of cars so you have to have some type of adhesive to keep the wire down in the channel. Once done it's invisible.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
eric29 said:
This unit is basically free if anyone is interested:

link
Thats cool! Thanks for the link. Also Wal-mart has an xm unit for under $30 and 1 thats about $50. Also they can have you set up and listening to xm with in minutes of purchasing.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Update: It was between the Roady 2 and the Roady XT. I went with the Roady 2 and a home kit for a couple different reasons. Price being one, the Roady 2 cost less and the option to go portable in the future. Right now there is no kit available for the XT to go portable. I've read about a kit by Belkin but I can't find it anywhere. Anyway, I'm very happy with the Roady 2. It works well inside using the FM transmitter and it works well in the car. I know the XT is newer technology but so far so good with the Roady 2.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts