8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 124 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
here are some pics.. installation went well.

XenonDepot HID Install Guide

Disclaimer:
I take no responsibility for this guide if something shall happen to your vehicle. The HID kit is not DOT legal. Offroad use only. Installing this kit may void your warranty, so please speak to a honda representative first. DO NOT ask a salesperson, technician, or even service writer. If a Honda rep will warranty your vehicle, get it in writing. If they won't, then seek a service manager at your dealership and get it in writing. Only thing is, they will only warranty it at that specific dealer rather then cross-country.

Do not install the HID kit if you do not know how to replace the stock bulbs, have no idea of how an electrical system works, or removing components from the car.

Tools needed:

Bumper Clip Remover (basically a two prong fork looking tool)
Flat-Head Screwdriver
Philips Screwdriver
10mm wrench
10mm socket
rachet
long and short extensions
Scissors or Wire Cutter
Allen Key

1. Disconnect battery terminal on both sides
2. Remove battery from vehicle (makes it a bit easier, but not necessary)
3. Remove upper grill cover clips. (1 on each side by the fender, and two in the middle by the hood release)
4. Remove 2 philip screws, 1 on each side of bumper by the tire.
5. Remove the bumper clips below the vehicle.
6. Using an allen key, unbolt the two bolts holding the bumper left. They are located on top of the bumper, in the middle of the front by the hood release.
7. Slow pull on one end of the bumper, moving your hand closer to the middle of the front of the car. Then do the other side. Finally just take the bumper away from the vehicle CAREFULLY.

--That's pretty much the hard part!

8. Using a 10mm long extension rachet, remove the headlamp housing bolts. There's 1 deep one, one located on the amber side of the headlight, and two bolts on top. 1 is easy to spot on top..right next to the fender. Its the silver bolt, not the one color matched to your vehicle (that one removes the fender). Then the last bolt is inside the front frame rail. You'll see a bunch of holes, its the silver bolt.
9. Unscrew that colored match bolt for the fender. (makes it easier to remove the headlamp.
10. Remove headlamp carefully!!!
11. Remove lightbult by turning and then pulling out
12. Remove the 3 little screws around the gasket where the bulb came out.
13. Insert the HID bulb into the hole, and screw in 3 new longer screws. Don't overighten as you can break the bolt or bulb. Just tight enough where the bulb does not move in any direction and gets a good seal. The bulb does not fit in like the stock bulb because it has a bigger base.

-- Take a break now, you're doing great!

14. Put the headlamp housings back into place and bolt them back up. Make sure the 2 wires coming out of the bulbs are easily accesible.
15. Find a mounting spot for the ballasts and use the double sided tape or metal brackets to bolt it up. I mounted them below the headlamps. Make sure its not too far away from the headlamps because you have to connect the other box to the headlights from the ballast.

16. Now all your left doing is running the large wire harness from the battery to each of the ballast and connecting the other connections to the stock factory connectors. Zip tie the wires away from any of the cooling fans, exhaust manifold/convertor, belts, etc.

17. Connect the two relays to the wire harness.
18. Finally connect the harness to the battery.

Test out the bulbs to make sure it works properly.

19. Replace the front bumper and upper grill cover.

20. Adjust the aiming downwards to keep from getting a lot of middle fingers.

21. You're all set!

Next thing i'm going to do is retrofit some TSX housings or possibly make eyelids for the stock headlamps to keep the beam from blinding other people and making it more straight rather than all over.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
oh yeah, if anyone in nj area need help installing them, let me know :)

mods, not sure what the rules are with helping people locally, but please don't close the thread.. just delete whats needed or i'll do it myself...

btw the kit is a 9006 HID bulb, 4300K from XenonDepot

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
heh, i think i'm like the first one..

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Unfortunately I didn't take many pics.. but i'm installing OEM foglights this weekend, probably Sunday. I'm going to rip apart the HID's and do a step by step write up for you guys.

I really want to find out how close the TSX housings are to the civic coupes.. If its close enough, I might mold something around it. The reason for the TSX housing is because it was designed for HID's..so the beam would project better then the stock civic housings.

I'm trying to be the first for everything, making the path for the 8th gen civic.. Only thing is, i'm a college student and funds are low.. Plus i have a turbo'd honda PWC for the summer..so that's my other toy. Hoping to push near 250 hp this coming season.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
also, i was thinking of making the highbeams the HID's and keep the low beams stock, so if cops give you a problem.. you can say you had your High beams on by mistake.

I'd have to disable the DRL though....just a thought..

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
I updated your post - and merged the DIY install into this thread. Now it's all together with the pics.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
cool thanks..

i'm thinking of the 4300k kit again for the fogs..not sure yet

·
Registered
57 Posts
y would you get 4300K for fog??? that would pretty much take the hole consept of a bog light. fog lights are yellow for a reason. so if you get white light (4300k) then the fog will reflect sence the light is white. yellow light wont reflect thats y fog are yellow. but wat ever floats your boat. also i will be looking forward for the install writhe up. keep it up bro.

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
youngxlos said:
y would you get 4300K for fog??? that would pretty much take the hole consept of a bog light. fog lights are yellow for a reason. so if you get white light (4300k) then the fog will reflect sence the light is white. yellow light wont reflect thats y fog are yellow. but wat ever floats your boat. also i will be looking forward for the install writhe up. keep it up bro.
i know the difference between white and yellow lights... but fog lights also help light up the road more.. plus with the HIDs always on, it won't help much driving through fog with or without yellow light.

·
Registered
594 Posts
thats super sexy =P Def somethin i will want to do. Now the only prob is that i have no clue what im doing so ill have to go to a shop or something and get these done... but thats gonna be a prob also cause its illegal lol

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
since you say your from jersey, i'll do the install for you.. takes a little more then an hour.

·
Registered
594 Posts
sweet.... ill def take u up on that

question is now.... does the car pass inspection with these lights or no?

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
no it won't pass inspection, but the nice thing about this kit, it doesn't involve cutting the stock harness so you can plug the stock bulb back in and your good to go. Then just disconnect the HID harness power wire from the battery (as extra safety).

Its a bit annoying, but I think inspection is 4 yrs the first time, then every 2.

Reactions: Kabs

·
Registered
1,672 Posts
I have a question... my dad works for a lexus dealer as a machanic and he brought home the computer chip (or capacitor, or 4whatever that square thing is) and the xenon bulbs out of a lexus... i want to put them in my si when i get it but will they work?? can i cut and splice and do all that?? or do i really have to spend $400 on a kit? :eek:hnoes:

·
Registered
594 Posts
unplugged.... i got a few questions for you man

If im correct the new civics including the Si will have daytime running lights.... wont that burn out the HID's really really fast? Also dont DRL use a very little amount of juice? Wont that affect the HIDS?

Also do you have highbeams anymore? Cuase i know some bulbs have highbeams built into them... and i dont know if the new civic does....

And if it doesnt did you get a highbeam HID too? or is it pointless since the HID is just as bright

thanks man

·
Premium Member
1,294 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Ep3racer954 said:
I have a question... my dad works for a lexus dealer as a machanic and he brought home the computer chip (or capacitor, or 4whatever that square thing is) and the xenon bulbs out of a lexus... i want to put them in my si when i get it but will they work?? can i cut and splice and do all that?? or do i really have to spend $400 on a kit? :eek:hnoes:
the bulbs are around 150 each, you need 2.. so that's 300. Can't you spare another 100 for the two ballasts and wire harness MADE to work/fit with YOUR car?

those ballasts your dad has may not even work.. I don't know the specs for the lexus.

1 - 20 of 124 Posts