8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I can't decide between these two intakes.
They both have theirs pros and cons. Anyone of you had experience with these two intakes.
I think the xintake you have greater gains, but is more prone to heatsoak and dust, since it don't have a air box protecting it.
On other hand, we have the M&M scoop, that maintains the OEM look of the engine bay, and provides great throttle response and more cold air.
What can you tell about these two, experiences and opinions would be greatly appreciated.

·
Si-Onara
5,874 Posts
I can't decide between these two intakes.
They both have theirs pros and cons. Anyone of you had experience with these two intakes.
I think the xintake you have greater gains, but is more prone to heatsoak and dust, since it don't have a air box protecting it.
On other hand, we have the M&M scoop, that maintains the OEM look of the engine bay, and provides great throttle response and more cold air.
What can you tell about these two, experiences and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
you pretty much gave yourself the answer, I love my X-style intake wouldn't trade it for anything... However the M&M scoop is nice for gains and retaining the stock look

·
Registered
890 Posts
I can't comment too much on the X-Intake by itself, but I kind of combined both in that I have the M&M Tuning Intake Duct but I also use the Honda CR-V tube that the X-Intake uses. I don't have any dyno charts to prove the claims, but I feel like I'm sensitive enough to my car to know what's hurting and what's not. When I was using the M&M duct and the original intake tube, there was a drastic difference in throttle response and acceleration especially at higher speeds from stock. I then cutout and sanded down all the veins inside the air box lid. That helped a little at lower speeds and changed the sound. I then put the CR-V tube and that made a more noticeable difference in response and acceleration. Finally, ported the air box itself and the gains are minimal and is only noticeable at higher RPM's and VTEC.

I would suggest using the M&M duct and the X-Intake/Honda CR-V tube. You don't have to port the air box and lid, but it does help a little. I will say use a high flow drop-in filter though. I used K&N.

The intake tube was the best part to assist the duct. You can't really dyno the duct because the vehicle is at a standstill. But when you're actually driving, air pressure increases in the box because of the intake velocity and you're gonna want that straighter, shorter and fatter intake tube to feed that higher volume of air into the manifold as fast as possible. You'll really notice it driving around.

I ported the air box so it can have a more volumetric efficiency and ported the lid so air can flow through the MAF sensor and into the throttle body faster with less turbulence and proper air flow readings for better fuel trim.

The only other thing I have that is questionable is the throttle body spacer. I don't know if that has really helped or hurt the performance of the intake in that it affects the bend of the CR-V intake tube.

When not using the spacer, the tube is compressed enough that when it's connected to the stock air box it's perfectly straight. When using the X-intake, that open filter gives you the extra room so if you decided to use the spacer you'll still be able keep the tube straight. However, my configuration causes the tube to kind of bend on itself making a really sharp restrictive bend in the tube where it connects to the throttle body. I haven't really thought about it till now and I don't know what's more beneficial; keeping the throttle body cooler while restricting the flow, or allowing it to be warmer and having better flow.

Anyways, hope this is helpful.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
I got mine from japanparts.com. At the time, it costed me like $250 or something around there. Pricing fluctuates because of the currency exchange so it might be different now.
You got the exact link, I'm having trouble finding it on their website?

*Edit* I think I found it listed under FD2?? It's essentially the same setup as the T1R conduct box that will never come out but a bit more expensive since it's oversea's.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Here is the direct link: japanparts.com : PARTS DATABASE

As for the question by the OP, I think either setup would work well. The X-Factor type setup gives the performance of a SRI, w/o worrying about A/F ratio or bogging or excess heat transfer into the intake.

The M&M scoop ingests a lot more air, air that is cooler and denser than the ambient air in the engine bay. I know that with just that mod, my car performed a lot better.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Since the M&M scoop is designed for an FN2 Type R, the scoop will not fit into the plastic tube for the Si. I used a Samco 3 1/8 coupler to connect the two.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
Since the M&M scoop is designed for an FN2 Type R, the scoop will not fit into the plastic tube for the Si. I used a Samco 3 1/8 coupler to connect the two.
I'd like to order the scoop since I'm tired of waiting for T1R. Where did you order the samco 3 1/8 Coupler from?? (I would like to order these at the same time) I was thinking about ordering the c/f box to but 400+ bucks is ALOT of money plus since it's for the FN2 I'm sure it would not just clip right on to my FA5 stock airbox!! Would this work for the coupler? https://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Straight-Silicone-Hose-Coupler-p-18037.html

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
I'd like to order the scoop since I'm tired of waiting for T1R. Where did you order the samco 3 1/8 Coupler from?? (I would like to order these at the same time) I was thinking about ordering the c/f box to but 400+ bucks is ALOT of money plus since it's for the FN2 I'm sure it would not just clip right on to my FA5 stock airbox!! Would this work for the coupler? https://www.polyperformance.com/shop/Straight-Silicone-Hose-Coupler-p-18037.html

The link you showed looks great. Price is right too, especially for a Samco piece.

The CF airbox cover will connect to your base. It is no different from what T1R is using. M&M is the original manufacturer of these parts. Notice the big sale going on at japanparts.com for the month of March.

·
Registered
138 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 · (Edited)
Thanks for all replies. Either options seem to be a great intake solution for our cars.
I had the Injen SRI, and didn't like it because of the absence of MAF vanes. The bog on low RPMs was terrible for a daily driving car.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
The link you showed looks great. Price is right too, especially for a Samco piece.

The CF airbox cover will connect to your base. It is no different from what T1R is using. M&M is the original manufacturer of these parts. Notice the big sale going on at japanparts.com for the month of March.
If that's the case I am going to order this entire set by the end of march starting with the scoop and coupler now and the actual c/f box by the end of the month!!

·
Registered
4,916 Posts

Well, I almost just ordered it but the total between the two came to 727.66 before shipping plus an additional 105.66 to ship. OUCH. I noticed it said 15% (total) off for this month but it was not calculating in the order so I guess they said it would be calculated after you place the order which worried me some. Even though it will still cost nearly 750 for the entire system which hurt's! LOL I think I'm going to just order the scoop and call it a day.

·
Registered
4,916 Posts
1 - 20 of 59 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.