8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sorry, I'm no vanilla-bean, tie-wearing corporate tool (though I do work for one :D), nor am I a hair-gel ricer boy (I'm Asian, so I get to say that). So what's with this guy and his absolute hate for Hondas? Did he get ass-raped by a Honda tech or something?:

Profile for: RV
(just paginate through all his vitriol and his clear love for his WRX)

Why is autoblog so populated with incensed Honda-haters and '89 Camaro-humping, body-wrapped-in-the-U.S.-flag freaks?

?

·
Pillar of Objectivity
8,915 Posts
Most people I know and have encountered, who hate Honda or GM or any other car company, do so because they or someone they know had a bad experience with one or a few of that company's car.

They then generalize it into saying "Because this one/few <insert maker's name>'s car sucked so bad, all of them must suck this bad."

And then it just balloons from there.

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
Lets see... why do haters hate:

• Lost a job to an import company
  • Used to own a F&F Honda, got made fun of viciously, makes up for it by hating on Hondas now that they've moved on and "up" in their eyes.
  • Constantly gets beat by Hondas and have yet to educate themselves on anything other than what they drive
  • Lost a girl to a guy in a Honda
  • Lost to a girl in a Honda

Just a few things that I think may cause it

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
Age demographic of the cars play a role. A lot of young drivers own Honda's and those young drivers tend to be the ones that zoom around in traffic with loud mufflers...

Makes most people form a negative opinion of moddified Hondas.

Of course that is very general - Since I am 29 and just yesterday I was zooming around as I was in a hurry.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
There are people out there who are either misinformed, uninformed or downright biased and predjudiced. There is no lacking of *******, mouthbreathers who are the BillyBobs of this country.

Back in 1976, I bought a '76 Scirocco. I had been a Chevy guy and had had a 1970 Camaro SS350, two 427 Corvettes and sundry Impalas and Novas. When the Arab Oil Embargo hit the country in 1974, I began to check out my options for better fuel economy.

In 1975, Chevy came out with the Monza, which was a stylish coupe based on the Chevrolet Vega. Supposedly, Chevrolet exorcised all the demons out of the Vega platform when the Monza was built.

The car right from the get go was a piece of crap. The car would lean surge when driving 30-35 mph. Its cold starting was a crap shoot. I quickly ditched the car for the then new water cooled VW's. I bought a fuel injected Scirocco which was a novelty at the time.

When I drove the car to work, you would have thought that I had just bombed Pearl Harbor. All my co-workers attacked me. One guy thanked me for putting Americans out of work. Others told me how unpatriotic I was.

I reminded them of the fact that my car used so little fuel relative to theirs, that I was helping our country out by buying less foreign oil. Nevertheless, I was now persona non gratis at my job. I have never, ever bought another "Murican" car after that and have only had Hondas and Volkswagens until I got my G35.

Unfortunately, people associate cars with geographic areas and the people living there. When I was growing up, Japanese goods were known for their poor quality and cheap prices. We used to joke that when there was a problem with an American car, somewhere the part was stamped, "Made in Japan". Honda wiped the smirks off people's faces when the Honda Accord debuted in 1976. Ever since then, the Japanese have had quality products.

Overlook the haters. They will always be there.

Reactions: atruhondagrl

·
Premium Member
37,357 Posts
Age demographic of the cars play a role. A lot of young drivers own Honda's and those young drivers tend to be the ones that zoom around in traffic with loud mufflers...

Makes most people form a negative opinion of moddified Hondas.

Of course that is very general - Since I am 29 and just yesterday I was zooming around as I was in a hurry.
I'm 31 and I zoom too. Everytime I do it I think,"Dammit. I'm acting like one of them." As a lowered (cut springs), green (Macco $99 paintjob) Accord ('92) with gold wheels (spraypainted), and green brakes (drum), fartcan muffler (Ebay $44), spoiler (10' aluminum drag bench), altezza tail lights :)shady:) and projectors (Ebay) with tint (10 year old windex purple) flies past me in a low altitude flyby (like a Cessna buzzing an F16) and leaning back like he's cool with the bass so deep his neon is blinking and the license plate is rattling on the rust bumps that keep it in place.

Trust me, this is what I see everyday where I live. But for the most part, they leave me alone.

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
There are people out there who are either misinformed, uninformed or downright biased and predjudiced. There is no lacking of *******, mouthbreathers who are the BillyBobs of this country.

Is the word ******* not hatefull and prejudiced? :( Or do you have nicknames for people of all colors?

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
Is the word ******* not hatefull and prejudiced? :( Or do you have nicknames for people of all colors?
******* hateful and predjucided? Nicknames for people of all colors? What in God's green earth are you talking about man? I was supporting the OP. If you can construe that I am hateful and predjudiced for my use of the term "*******", you need are terribly misinformed.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
HOLY CRAP! I thought you were my age!!!!! :eek2: Ever the kid eh? Sweet. You like GMs and Hondas and you drive a black G35... Are we related by any chance? :laughing:
I think we are Dawn. You love Camaros, I love Camaros. You love Si's, I love Si's. You love black G35's, I love black G35's. You truly are a woman after my own heart. :thumb:

·
Premium Member
18,457 Posts
Unfortunately, people associate cars with geographic areas and the people living there. When I was growing up, Japanese goods were known for their poor quality and cheap prices. We used to joke that when there was a problem with an American car, somewhere the part was stamped, "Made in Japan". Honda wiped the smirks off people's faces when the Honda Accord debuted in 1976. Ever since then, the Japanese have had quality products.

Ever hear of Usa, Japan?

:laughing: I think Japan renamed a mfg city or something Usa so they could ship all their toys "Made in Usa" brilliant eh?

·
Registered
227 Posts
******* hateful and predjucided? Nicknames for people of all colors? What in God's green earth are you talking about man? I was supporting the OP. If you can construe that I am hateful and predjudiced for my use of the term "*******", you need are terribly misinformed.
Actually, I wish the term "*******" would just go away. I know you didn't mean to be offensive but it just comes across that way. Actually, I wish folks would just stop using all ethnic/racial labels.

·
Registered
227 Posts
Getting back to the OP's topic, I have owned many different cars over the years. Yes, I'm a car whore.

I find it interesting that there are the brand diehards that have to bash the competition. Honda guys bashing Chevys, Ford guys bashing Dodge, Evo owners bashing Subies, etc. I figure they are just insecure. The TRUE car guys out there appreciate all makes of cars.

By the way, BMW >> all others ;)

·
Registered
450 Posts
I am in agreement with that. I am honda to the core because I was brought home from the hospital in 79 in a honda. I have owned 3 myself and my mom has had a few in my life.

I like cars as a whole. I like to look at engines, interiors. I'm not that obsessive over exteriors. Mostly I am disgusted with all the "performance" mods people do to their exteriors. However, why is it that the vast majority of honda cars are quality and long lasting? Why is it that the american car makers cannot have this kind of magic across their line. They all make 1 premiere car. Honda makes em all top notch. Even the "American Honda" saturns are turning into crap. Why? They complain that the Japs are taking their jobs. Well make a car that is of high quality for a reasonable price. Hyundai does it. Why does it take Ford so much engine volume to make power in a mustang?

·
Registered
227 Posts
Why does it take Ford so much engine volume to make power in a mustang?
Well, the new Mustang GT (300 hp, 4.6L) is just a different animal than our SI. They are fast and handle surprisingly well on race tracks in stock form. I'll go so far as to say that Ford finally got it right with the latest Mustangs. Plus, the torque that the 4.6 produces at low RPM is pretty slick. Those V-8s just don't work that hard and tend to last a long time. I'm sure Ford could produce a high-performance V-6 and drop it into the 'stang but that's just not what the Mustang is about. Mustang buyers who care about performance want V-8s and I don't blame them. V-8s rock. It's much more than just hp/litre.

I used to track a '95 Mustang GT with the venerable 5.0L engine. Totally bulletproof motor and it's very easy to add significant hp with simple bolt-ons (exhaust, shorty headers, GT-40 heads, etc.). I never had a single problem with the car and wish I hadn't sold it.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.