8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
2010 Civic SI with 50,000 km (31000 mi).
It has at least 2 previous owners, the last one has removed a hondata flash pro, and coilovers to return it to OEM-ish condition. My concern is the engine has been tuned or abused in some way because I don't know a lot about the hondata capabilities. The only modifications remaining seem to be the exhaust, sway bars F and R, HID's and a k tuned coil pack cover.

What do you think?

·
Super Moderator
2,217 Posts
so there is so much missing here. How does it drive? What condition is the oil/ATF? 31K miles is NEW, so who knows. IF you can get a service history, that would be helpful.

·
Registered
267 Posts
2010 Civic SI with 50,000 km (31000 mi).
It has at least 2 previous owners, the last one has removed a hondata flash pro, and coilovers to return it to OEM-ish condition. My concern is the engine has been tuned or abused in some way because I don't know a lot about the hondata capabilities. The only modifications remaining seem to be the exhaust, sway bars F and R, HID's and a k tuned coil pack cover.

What do you think?
Just like EdNaviEx said, lots of info missing. Since you said that it's been tuned, a compression test is VERY important to know if the engine is in good shape. Other than that, all the other fluids have to be checked to make sure the car is in good shape.

31k is very low miles for an Si, so something might be fishy. Get a pre-purchase inspection or run a VIN check - the CarFax app on the app store is free. Just put in the VIN and check the maintenance history.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Engine oil is clean, I did pull the dipstick. The owner tells me the hondata was installed to correct rev hang. There doesn't appear to be any other modifications other than what is listed above. I have a carfax canada report, I just ran it yesterday. No maintenance history available, but it has been registered every year in Calgary Alberta since new, with consistent odometer readings. I will look into how I can check the ATF condition, I haven't done this before. I plan on driving the car tomorrow afternoon to get a feel for it.

Thanks for the tips so far.

·
Registered
267 Posts
Just realized that Si's don't come with a transmission dipstick. Just ask the owner (if he's honest) when was the last time he changed the ATF. If he hasn't changed it, 31k is the perfect time to change it either way. Just make sure the transmission doesn't have any issues when going through the gears.

·
Registered
80 Posts
Let me put this bluntly - You do not want that car.

"Modifications" means the previous owner tried to "rice it out" (which seems common practice when young men own civics) and who knows what has been done to it. People think they can just bolt on whatever mods and all is well. That is not how it works.

And in doing so, he probably didn't drive it like a grandma only to the grocery and church on Sunday. No, the car was probably abused.

And 31,000 miles on a ten year old car? Something isn't right.

·
Super Moderator
2,217 Posts
I'm ALWAYS warry about modded cars. So you are the third owner? For a car with such low miles, the would be question on my mind is ........ why? Anyway, draining and filling the ATF is almost always a good idea, but FIRST, How did the test drive go?

If the body/interior/etc is in good shape and the engine and tranny perform fine, go for it. I got my wife's 4Runner with 70K on it not really knowing how it was maintained, but I took solace that it was a CPO car (warranty) and hear I am, 10 years later with 110,000 more miles on it and she runs like a champ. Maintenance and how it was treated are EVERYTHING. If the car runs ok, then fine (Honda engines run forever if properly maintained).

What are you looking for in this car? You want a toy or a Daily Driver?

Good luck!

·
Registered
71 Posts
You are already questioning your decision.. I'd walk away from that one and try to find one as close to factory release as possible.. go with you gut.

·
Registered
267 Posts
How much do they want for the car? I would look for another one maintained by an older person (and completely stock).

·
Registered
2010 Si sedan 86k for sale
126 Posts
I have a 2010 Si sedan 6spd manual, silver. Paint is good (I found recall info on that) and my visors are mint (people say they fall down) 86k miles. kbb says $12,000 so I'm going to be asking that for mine. Drives like new. All factory, no mods. I'm just doing a full service on it so the engine oil and trans oil are fresh for the new owner. Also changed the factory spark plugs with new factory spark plugs and air filter. Still have to do the cabin filter. Other than that the car was driven on premium because I found receipts in the car and it was my friends husbands car so it's not a random mystery. I thought I found a new daily but being worth $12k...

·
Super Moderator
2,217 Posts
I have a 2010 Si sedan 6spd manual, silver. Paint is good (I found recall info on that) and my visors are mint (people say they fall down) 86k miles. kbb says $12,000 so I'm going to be asking that for mine. Drives like new. All factory, no mods. I'm just doing a full service on it so the engine oil and trans oil are fresh for the new owner. Also changed the factory spark plugs with new factory spark plugs and air filter. Still have to do the cabin filter. Other than that the car was driven on premium because I found receipts in the car and it was my friends husbands car so it's not a random mystery. I thought I found a new daily but being worth $12k...
Sun visors don't fall down, they break apart due to heat. They are cheap to buy and install yourself. Sounds like you found a "mint-like" and unmodded Si (unheard of nowadays). If you decide to get it, good luck!

·
Registered
2010 Si sedan 86k for sale
126 Posts
Sun visors don't fall down, they break apart due to heat. They are cheap to buy and install yourself. Sounds like you found a "mint-like" and unmodded Si (unheard of nowadays). If you decide to get it, good luck!
Nice to know, thanks for the info. I have the car, got it for a good deal. I'd like to sell it now instead of driving it since I found out how much it's worth. I'd love to put a supercharger on it and keep it but it's worth double what I thought it would be worth. It's totally stock. Got it from a family friend.

·
Super Moderator
2,217 Posts
Nice......... I heart breaks as these cars are becoming rare (unmodded). I'm definitely in the minority here as most love to mod (engine and all) their rides. BUT, I mod mine, but my mods are imperceptible (everything still looks factory). I leave the drivetrain alone. Anyway,, to each their own. Good luck with her no matter what you do.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts