8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I heard that on other cars it causes the cruise control to stop working and other stuff and I do want to know before buying and installing it if I can just install the LED bulb on the 3rd brake light without having to do any kind of modifications to it. I used Sylvania ZEVO on the brake light and rear turn signals (soon doing the fronts) and want to get the 3rd brake light to match the brake lights. This forum has been amazing and I would appreciate any advice/help. Thanks!

EDIT: Read a bit more about this and turns out the EX models have the LED 3rd brake light unit in it from factory. I have a Halogen bulb in there now so does that mean I can throw in the LED bulb as is? I'll just experiment and see what happens. I have a Sedan.

·
Super Moderator
2,375 Posts
I have an EX model and it came with a regular Joe-Smo bulb. No 8thgen came from the factory with a LED 3rd brake light. Unless you are talking a 3rd brake light that is one a spoiler (?).

Make sure the LED is bright enough b/c many of them out there 1) don't last long, 2) Aren't bright enough.

I recommend vLeds, give them a look. I've been using their products for years and never had a problem.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I'll just install it and see what happens. As for the vLeds, i'll take a look at them because I want to upgrade the headlights!

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
I have an EX model and it came with a regular Joe-Smo bulb. No 8thgen came from the factory with a LED 3rd brake light. Unless you are talking a 3rd brake light that is one a spoiler (?).

Make sure the LED is bright enough b/c many of them out there 1) don't last long, 2) Aren't bright enough.

I recommend vLeds, give them a look. I've been using their products for years and never had a problem.
The 8th gen hybrids came with a LED third brake light and I believe the EX and up coupes did as well.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
The 8th gen hybrids came with a LED third brake light and I believe the EX and up coupes did as well.
I'm not really a fan of the white look of it so I'll just go the easy route and throw in the LED bulb. I might lose cruise control after the install until i install a resistor (if it needs it). It's not like I use it at all.

·
Super Moderator
2,375 Posts
Cool, learned something today. I wonder why they didn't do that with the sedans. Hmmmm, I might have to "upgrade" that, LOL.

·
Super Moderator
2,375 Posts
Well shoot. For us EX sedan guys, the whole deck has be replaced. At least that is what this post insinuates. In another post, the deck comes with the LED as part of the assembly, but is $175.

If anyone can chime in with new info, that woud be great

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I saw a video on YouTube that was posted recently about a guy with his sedan LX model that was able to swap the regular halogen 3rd brake light for the full LED unit from the sedan hybrid model. He made it possible and at the end showed the public that it really does work. Pretty cool!

I did change my mind. I will go with this route actually because I will have the rear windows tinted anyways and the clear 3rd brake light won't be seen at all which is great. It might be a bit more pricier than the LED bulb route but at least I won't have to "maybe" add a resistor which could mess up the wiring and it won't be a real LED brake light at the end. A new LED 3rd brake hybrid light costs $150 online for the genuine part.

·
Super Moderator
2,375 Posts
If you can find this vid, post it please. If I don't have to replace the whole rear deck,....

·
Super Moderator
2,375 Posts
NIce! Wow, so just get a 3rd brake light "assembly", take the rear deck out, pop old one out, pop new one in, done. Doesn't seem difficult to do. I'll try to get a part number............. Thanks FD!

EDIT: So, there are 2 types of LED lights, 1) plastic red and 2) plastic clear. The clear is from the Hybrid and the red is from the EX. Both light up red. Nice. I like the clear so I found this:

click on part #1. It is # 34270-SNC-A02 . IT is $127.04. Ouch. Wow, this forum has cost me alot of money, LOL.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Ouch, I can't see used ones for sale right now so I might have to buy a brand new one later on. It also looks like I have to drill a small hole on the deck for ventilation but it's not too bad. The guy in the video didn't do it but I did hear something about hybrid model having vents in the back.

Part #: 34270-SNC-A02

1 - 18 of 18 Posts