8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
It's happened 3 times now, civic won't start when oil level gets to about 3/4 of a quart low. (Not bad idea,) But last two times, the next day the car would not start.
This last time it started in the morning but not in the afternoon. Finally after the 3ed day it started in the afternoon and I made it home. Any ideas?
The car is a 1992 honda civic LX 1.5 16 valve with 86,000 mi.

·
Registered
4,011 Posts
Go ask this on Honda-tech. Your car is older than some of the people here.

No one's going to know much about it.

·
Registered
823 Posts
I don't know. I can tell you that the car has no idea how much oil is inside it. If the oil is low, then it is possible the piston rings are not getting oil and thus not sealing and thus not holding compression, but that is a long shot. Normally, if all the oil drains down from the rings it takes days, not hours.
B

·
Registered
18,914 Posts
low oil shouldnt stop it from starting

not to mention, if you know your low on oil, why are you continuing to drive it wihtout putting more in?

·
Registered
1 Posts
1992 Civic won't start with low oil

It's happened 3 times now, civic won't start when oil level gets to about 3/4 of a quart low. (Not bad idea,) But last two times, the next day the car would not start.
This last time it started in the morning but not in the afternoon. Finally after the 3ed day it started in the afternoon and I made it home. Any ideas?
The car is a 1992 honda civic LX 1.5 16 valve with 86,000 mi.
My son had an earlier Honda with the same problem and found reading a technical manual that there is a sensor that detects the oil level and actually prevents the car from starting by turning off the gas pump. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
403 Posts
My son had an earlier Honda with the same problem and found reading a technical manual that there is a sensor that detects the oil level and actually prevents the car from starting by turning off the gas pump. Hope this helps.
Interesting, never hear that Civic have something like that...:clapping:

·
Does this do anything?
2,716 Posts
Honda does this on all of their small equipment motors, but I've never heard of it on an automotive engine, nor can I find an oil level sensor for a d15 on rockauto. The computer will cut the fuel pump if it doesn't detect the oil pressure coming up within a few seconds though, so if the oil is low enough that its not getting in the pickup for the pump, the engine will start and then die.

I'd bet that you have some other kind of electrical issue and the oil thing is purely coincidental.

·
Registered
1 Posts
ok i just wanted to say my bit on this :)
My 2011 civic just stopped dead. Wouldn't go at all.
The mechanic comes. puts oil in it. They confirmed that there is a fuel pump cut out that activates if the engine is very low on oil. My oil light didn't come on once at all.
I had no warning at all till the car just died.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts