8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey i just got a tanabe sm hyper on my 08 coupe.
I was wondering if i should leave my resonator on or take it off.

As of now I like the sound...low and not too loud. Once i hit around 3-4k rpm i mainly hear all engine and intake. but i think i might wanna take it off for a little more noise but not too much that it will sound like a 'fart' can.

Will the resonator make that much sound difference?

opinions???

thanks.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
when you say "raspy", would you say it be irritating. i mean i know its all your own preference, but just wanna make sure before i do it. i dont wanna take it off then have to pay again to put another resonator on.

but my guess is that it should still sound low right(tone)? i mean, thats the whole point of the muffler.

·
Banned
2,315 Posts
i took off my resonator when i had my apexi black polished and it sounded kinda g*y the exhaut sounded better with the resonator on but it performed better with the resonator off

now i have a hfp and the exhaust sounds way better with the resonator off
so its just depending on the exhaust i guess

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
How did you take it off? just cut it and weld on a straight pipe? or did you change out your whole exhaust?
i dont think you're asking me but to take it off i was gonna bring it back to the shop and get it cut off. then get a piece welded back on.
mine is a custom cat. but now after a few opinions im definitely gonna take it off. specially since the stock resonator is smaller than the piping i used. probably losing some juice.

·
Registered
104 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I have stock exhaust, I had the mechanic saw off the larger resonator right after the cat.
hmm. okay. so that just means mine is just gonna be somewhat like yours but just LOUDER.

well, im pretty much convinced to take it off already. im just gonna wait a while till i do though. prolly wait till i order some other parts for my car.

cant wait!:woowoo:

·
Registered
1,046 Posts
I just took my resonator off today after finishing installing my fogs. I got a K&N Typhoon SRI and SI axleback and honestly it's a bit louder and sounds more aggressive. I like it..Plus it opens up a lil bit more airflow into the engine bay from the grill

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.