8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

Wiring up an LED lighted shift knob

3K views 3 replies 3 participants last post by  AlfredaBerta 
#1 ·
Hello all! I am definitely a beginner when it comes to adding new powered accessories to my car. I just purchased an LED shift knob that is powered by 12v DC. I am going to tap power from the radio harness to light it up when the headlights are on, just like the dash. It has a simple positive and negative terminal wire. It is not, however, a dimmable LED, so I need to make sure I don't wire it up to the dimming line.

My car is a 2007 Civic LX Sedan, with the regular non-premium head unit. From the wonderful pictures provided by Leveldowen in this thread, I have identified two terminals related to lighting: A1 (ILL-) and A10 (ILL+). Please corect me if I am wrong, but if it were a dimmable LED, I would wire the LED positive to (ILL+) and the LED negative to (ILL-), right?

Since it is not dimmable, I should wire the LED positive to ILL+ and the LED negative to A9 (RADIO GND), yes? Or does the positive go to ILL-? I don't want to get it wrong and fry the LED; lighted shift knobs seem to be hard to come by, and there don't seem t o be any related posts here or videos on youtube.

I have attached an annotated copy of the audio unit connector description. If anyone can point me in the right direction, I would be most grateful. Thank you!
Font Material property Handwriting Paper Paper product

See less See more
#4 · (Edited)
I am an avid fan of color lighting. There is something attractive and unusual about this. I even replaced the lamps in my kitchen with LED ones from https://www.vont.com/product/vont-bulb-color-smart-light-bulbs-smart-bulbs/. Btw, you can make the gearshift knob colored yourself. It must be disassembled without damaging the edges of the nickel-plated surface. After that, you should remove the glass, cut out the recess for the LED, and insert it there. Then take the glue gun and cover everything with glue.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.