8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
309 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am installing my amp and sub set-up it's 2 12" legacy 500 watt subs to a 1000watt 2 channel visonnik amp fairly cheap I just can't figure out what gauge power and ground wire I need I tried contacting crutchfield but they weren't sure. I have a jvc deck already in and I had this set up in my tiburon but had bestbuy install it so idk what size they used.

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
The guy at crutchfield wasn't feeling 4 he mentioned 8g
The guy at crutchfield is a jackass. Its true that that amp probably isn't making anywhere near 1000W, but voltage drop in 8 AWG power cable is still going to be significant over the length of the run from the battery to the trunk, even with relatively low current draw. Having larger power wire than necessary is never a bad thing. Like DotKristian said, how big you go depends on if you plan on upgrading in the future or not, and how much power you plan to run. Personally, I would NEVER run a main power run from the battery to the trunk using anything less than 4 AWG.

Whats the amperage rating of the fuse(s) on the amp? That will give a more realistic idea of what kind of power its actually producing.

Hans

·
Registered
1,917 Posts
50 Amp fuse means the amp can probably make around 400-450W RMS at best. Divided by 2 channels, that means 200-225W RMS per channel. Not that there's anything wring with that, just saying.

But yeah, like everyone is telling you, 4 AWG will work well. If you plan on adding a really big subwoofer amp in the future, you can run 1/0 AWG now so you don't have to upgrade later, but it would be enormous overkill for the amp you have at the moment.

Unless you plan to add a large subwoofer setup in the future, 4 AWG will work just fine.

Hans

1 - 9 of 9 Posts