8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately for some of us that live in the NORTHERN half of the USA we do get the "occasional" blizzard and A LOT of the " i dont know how to use the search button" people will be making BILLIONS of new threads on "what to get" for the winter. So instead of 100 threads...lets try and keep it to ONE.

Post up some WINTER tire setups, what kind of car, driving experience, overall review, pictures if you have any, comparisons if you have personally had more than 1 set of winter tire experience, etc...

I'll start off with mine...

Car: 2004 Dodge SRT-4 w/500whp
Setup: Stock rims w/205/50/17 Dunlop Winter Sport M3 tires.

Review: Overall I can't compare these the the Blizzaks that a lot of people but BUT I will say that the Dunlops WERE CHEAPER than the Blizzaks. When I got these put on I pulled out of the tire shop and expected some tire spin with the 3" of snow that we had. NADDA!!! Driving around town in even 5-6" of snow I didn't get any tire spin keeping the gas pedal under control of course. Taking turns at only 5mph slower than usual (so around 15mph) these guys hugged the snow and just somehow gripped and went!!! When I get my Civic Si I WILL MOST DEFINATELY be buying these again in the proper size! I have quite a bit of confidence in these tires.

Heres some pics!

·
Registered
281 Posts
Car: 2006 Honda Civic Si (Coupe)
Setup: Stock rims w/215/45/17 Nokian WR

Nokian WRs are considered an all-weather not snow or all-season...they last a lot longer then snows and if you want you can use them all year long..but at reduced performance in dry weather...This will be my 3rd winter on them...

·
Registered
50 Posts
Car: 2006 Mazda 3
Setup: Stock rims w 205/50/17 dunlop m3's ;)

great in powdered snow..handled our snow just fine, I was second guessing myself spending a bunch of money to buy it but last year we had a ton of snow! Only had problems with the damn ice but thats expected

have some dunlop m3's waiting for my civic..i expect the same from it maybe better since i got 195/65/15

btw you want to sell me your 205/50/17 dunlop m3's..i have a bubble in one and its nationally backordered bleh

srt4 look at the dunlop 3d's..m3's are rare and it'll be a ***** if you need to replace one

·
Registered
3,560 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
^^^ yea... i already sold them thankfully LOL ... but im looking at some winter tires for the Civic so i'm DEFINATELY giving Dunlop top priority :)

·
Registered
230 Posts
06 civic sedan
kingston ontario
Hankook Winter iPike W409
High performance studdable winter radial. T-speed rated.
195/65/15

·
Registered
54 Posts
Bought studded Winterforce tires, wrapped on some cheap alloy rims. They should be here this week and I'll post some pics. Studs FTW!

Including shipping cost me about $900, which is what Costco wanted for Michelin X Ice on Steel, and no studs.

·
Premium Member
30,957 Posts
loation: Regina Saskatchewan
Car: 2006 Acura Csx
Oem honda 15" steel rims
Goodyear ultra grip
195 65 r 15

paid $ 650 were bought with the car. i have never goten stuck great for the kind of weather we have here (-40) with blowing snow a little loud on dry pavement but that to be expected overal i love them fell like i have better control on ice/snow covered roads

·
Registered
54 Posts
Studded Winterforce

215/55R16 winterforce studded tires on 16x7 alloy wheels.

Initial impressions:

These tires feel a bit spongy compared to the stock Type-S tires.
Studs are definitely noticeable, not annoying, but they are there.

It snowed today, will post up a winter review later tonight :)

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Car: 2007 Si Sedan
Setup: 16" LX Steelies w/ Dunlop SP Winter Sport 3D

they are going on tomorrow its suppost to snow this week :-D

edit: update with pics attached, one two have pics of the HID's on for kicks, Id move it outside but its freezing outside.

Attachments

·
Registered
54 Posts
Tire Review: Winterforce M+S Studded

Snow: TBD
While there was a little bit of snow on the ground, there was not enough to get an accurate feel of how they will be in 6+"

Street: 7/10
The tires feel a bit spongy in dry pavement, and have a tendency to drift compared to the stock tires. Nothing too drastic, but you can definitely feel the difference and slight loss of grip on the dry.

Ice: 10/10
We had a substantial sheet of ice on our street, as well as throughout the area, and the tires performed very very well. This is where these studded tires shine.

Noise: 6/10
Quiet these tires are not.

·
Registered
300 Posts
I got blizzack REVOs for like 80 bucks each and just drove 800 miles over the weekend in the series of snows we've had in the Northeast. I think I drove through just about everything except an icestorm (and no really cold temps).

the tires don't handle particularly well on the highway, but holy crap, do they stick on the snow. I drove through about 6 inches of unbroken snow with no problem, traction was amazing, I couldn't believe it. they also handle pretty well on cold dry roads. the rubber is unbelievably soft. Clearly driving them in warm temps would wear them out in no time.

On wet and slush covered roads the tires didn't slip once, they seemed to cut through crud and get traction. And I was pushing the car through all the windy roads. :)

I got them b/c my wife who is from Mexico doesn't fear driving in the snow at all, and I know she'd crash my car again if i left the stock OEMs on there. The snow tires are awesome.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I recently got the new nokian, they are pretty nice, great in the rain, severe weather tire amd high performance all season and the tread design is asymetrical check it out

·
Registered
9 Posts
Nokian Hakka 5s

My lovely wife has Hakka 5s, 205/55-16s, on her WRX. Great so far, this is the first winter, and we have had a great deal of snow this season in NH. I will be putting these on my Civic for next year.:coffee:

1 - 15 of 15 Posts