8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
85 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was just wondering if the SI wing gives some downforce on the back tires..... removing the wing should free the "extra weight" from the downforce.....?

This saturday im going to the track........i'll do some runs as ussually....and then i'll do a couple wingless...... hope to get a 0.1 decrease ;) hehehehe

·
Registered
2,739 Posts
I'd say that wing is probably only fully functional on steady high speed courses like the autobahn, at speeds of 100+ it should keep air from getting under and lifting the ass a bit, but otherwise on the quarter mile it's just added weight.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
OP, you make a great point. In drag racing, you will see wings on Pro Stock cars, but they are flat and protrude from the trunk.

Given the power of a stock Si, I would say that any improvements would be negligible as you are not going fast enough for drag to really affect the speed of the car.

If you were running an AJP turbo with 500 hp and running in the 11's, I would say it would be worth a try. As with everything, experimentation may lead to an improvement in your trap speed. Give it a try.

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
I'm going to have to say that it would drastically improve your 1/4 mile times. Now don't get me wrong, I don't believe that for a second.. but I do, however, think that si's look better wingless.

:D

·
Registered
525 Posts
That sounds like a philosophy question to me... Does the existence of down force = the lack of lift?
Natural Philosophy. Lol, just take a hint from newton. In the end, all that matters is the sum of forces. Lift is an upward force, and downforce is, well, a downward force. They are really two sides of the same coin. You have to analyze, ceteris paribus, the individual effect of the wing on the car. If it adds downforce, it has the same net effect as modifying something on the car to reduce lift.

However, there is a difference as to WHERE you reduce or add force. On a RWD car, adding a wing places more weight on the back, increasing grip. On a FWD, the splitter (wing in the front), does the same job. I really doubt a FWD car needs a spoiler in the back...

·
Registered
929 Posts
Natural Philosophy. Lol, just take a hint from newton. In the end, all that matters is the sum of forces. Lift is an upward force, and downforce is, well, a downward force. They are really two sides of the same coin. You have to analyze, ceteris paribus, the individual effect of the wing on the car. If it adds downforce, it has the same net effect as modifying something on the car to reduce lift.

However, there is a difference as to WHERE you reduce or add force. On a RWD car, adding a wing places more weight on the back, increasing grip. On a FWD, the splitter (wing in the front), does the same job. I really doubt a FWD car needs a spoiler in the back...
You've just proven that you know nothing about race cars & aerodynamics then. I can tell you that the wings that we (and every other team) use on our touring cars are not only useful but essential to keep the cars on the track, especially in high speed corners...

·
Still dropping trout
16,213 Posts
A wing on a FWD car is needed in high speed applications at the track, but 99.9% of the time is useless on a daily driven application.

Silly ricer, useless wings are for penguins.

·
Banned
24,191 Posts
it won't make any noticeable difference.There are so many other factors that will make a difference that you might average slower without it on one day and then go again and average faster without it on.driver skill will make more of a difference then mods.after that I'd focus on traction and power mods.

·
Banned
24,191 Posts
and with a trap speed of under 110 in the best case the gains would be minimal at best.consider the fact that any measurable gains would be achieved above speeds of 80 mph and figure exactly how much time a car spends there and you see that at best you may see a .001 gain.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.