8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am tinting the Si today and had to back out of doing it yesterday because they wouldn't go below 32% in GA. I did find a guy that would do it and have it scheduled for this afternoon. I won't put the 20% on the Driver and Passenger windows, but the rest are going 20%. I called one guy and he said the coast would be 1000.00 because if was going to be fined for doing it, he was going to make it worth his wild.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Not sure how your law enforcement does it but up here in NY we have certain officers who are qualified, with a meter, to check tinting. Usually though they don't check it unless someone has been a problem. I know quite a few of the officers since I'm a firefighter and they won't pull someone over just because they think the windows are too dark. I'll be looking in the spring to get my windows tinted too.

·
Registered
21,304 Posts
GeorgiaBoy said:
I am tinting the Si today and had to back out of doing it yesterday because they wouldn't go below 32% in GA. I did find a guy that would do it and have it scheduled for this afternoon. I won't put the 20% on the Driver and Passenger windows, but the rest are going 20%. I called one guy and he said the coast would be 1000.00 because if was going to be fined for doing it, he was going to make it worth his wild.
$1,000?! :eek: That's way too expensive to have your windows tinted! I'd never pay that. When I had mine tinted I paid $165. Prices usually range from $150 to $200. Shop around. You should be able to find someone to install it for much cheaper.

.....moved to Inside and Out.

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
1000 is totally insane to tint a car. I think the highest quote I've had on any car I've ever owned was $225. Like 2fast said - it shouldn't be anywhere near that cost.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Average tint cost should be around $200-$220. No way you should pay $1k. There is too much competition to tint your car so take your business elsewhere.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
I think i'll be getting my windows tinted sometime next week. it's illegal to have your front windows tinted in illinois but i dont really care. i'll be getting 20% on all the windows.

it's amazing how much it makes a difference at keeping the sun out - i love it.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Got them tinted. It seems that the guy that qouted 1000 was trying to say that if he was caught puuting that on or told on after a ticket was issued that it could cost him the business, therefore the 1000.
I found a guy that did an awesome job and put 20% in the back and rear corners and then 32% (legal) in the front windows. It looks great. The guy that did it said the same that the tickets locally are from 170-270 on the tint law if you get caught and that most of GA now has the tint device to rate what percentage. :xyxnervou . He didn't seem to care if he was caught and let me look at the 20% before applying the 32% on the rest. I only paid 150 and got a warranty! :laughing:

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
pictures? i want to see how dark they are. I'll still probably get 20% all around though. I think it's 250 dollars but comes with a lifetime warranty - any scratches or defects and they fix it for free.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got the same deal but I didn''t get the front strip and it was 20 more for the 20% on the drivers and passenger windows.

·
Registered
445 Posts
Here in Hawaii we have to go thru yearly safety check inspections, $15 w/o tint and $23 with. 35% on all windows are legal. Anythning darker you're on your own.

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
Not a bad idea to get 32% on doors Georgiaboy. You should be totally legal. I have a bad feeling that my next ticket is gonna be for my windows. In court the other day a saw a girl get a $75 fine for windows being to dark(first offense). Which really sucks because last year they lifted the window tinting law and now they just put it back into effect recently. I'm thinking about removing the 20% and putting back 32% so I dont get a ticket for that. If I was to get pulled over now both windows go down immediatly so cop can see inside and hands visable. That has seemed to always keep me from getting a window tinting ticket. BTW my windows tinted costed $160 with the front strip.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
~racnjsn04~ said:
Not a bad idea to get 32% on doors Georgiaboy. You should be totally legal. I have a bad feeling that my next ticket is gonna be for my windows. In court the other day a saw a girl get a $75 fine for windows being to dark(first offense). Which really sucks because last year they lifted the window tinting law and now they just put it back into effect recently. I'm thinking about removing the 20% and putting back 32% so I dont get a ticket for that. If I was to get pulled over now both windows go down immediatly so cop can see inside and hands visable. That has seemed to always keep me from getting a window tinting ticket. BTW my windows tinted costed $160 with the front strip.
front strip = windsheild? do you have a picture of that? i'm thinking about getting that but i want to see how it looks.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I paid $200 for 5% tint on all side and back windows, including the 2 front little ones. It's super dark and not legal, but in Arizona my friends have only gotten "fix-it" tickets. The tint place who did mine would not give me a receipt on the front windows so they couldn't be held liable or whatever. Looks nice though, I like them blacked out & it really makes a difference with the sun. Cops really haven't looked twice at me, and the fronts look a bit lighter than the back anyways during the day, since the big front windshield still lets in a ton of light.

·
Registered
898 Posts
hey guys here in NYC the law is 35% for all cars, including sedan coupe etc etc... but for trucks n suv you can put whatever u want in the rear windows except for the 2 front but u can still put 35% on it...

i just went to a shop today in NJ n it will cost me around $180 for all windows including the front windshield...

im planing to get it soon like mid april...

im gonna put 5% all around except for the windshield...

so hopefully it will work out...lolz

·
Registered
132 Posts
$80 with a warranty and 20% all the way around. I'ma cop and I don't stop anyoen for tint. Now if your a%@^&#%^&@ when getting stopped for something else then maybe you deserve a ticket for the tint. Now in Georgia I am not sure I would put darker than legal on it as Georgia State Troopers know to give a ticket to their own mother for a traffic violation.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I'm from GA and the guy who tinted my windows suggested to leave it legal 32% but if you wanted to get 20% you're on your own. The person who did the tinting is not liable if you get a ticket for having a window that is too dark, that's according to a friend of mine who happens to be a Police. 20% tint would be nice but it could be dangerous and will cause you a lot of tickets. Trust me it wasn't nice after getting 3 tickets because of my windows. by the way he charged me $120 for the tints. He did a very good job.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts