8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone with good experience with window tint know if it is safe to use a suction cup on a tinted window? Looking to get a portable navi and want to mount it on the side corner window opposite the mirrors, I have a Fit but it's pretty much the same as the FA & FDs. I have that little window tinted though and curious to know if the suction would be enough to disrupt the glue of the tint from underneath it.

·
Registered
637 Posts
I've tried to use suction cups to mount both radar detectors and GPS units. They are a pain. Most of the time they don't stick. They leave ugly rings because you usually have to wet them to get them to stick. And then you wonder what they might do to tint film.

Suggestion: Ditch the suction cups and use some industrial strength hook and loop, or use the stuff they fasten thruway transponders 3M DualLock (like this). You'll be much happier.

·
Registered
2,300 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hmm, thanks for all the replies. From what it sounds like if you are even successful at getting it on the tint it shouldn't be strong enough to seperate the tint from the window. I'll give it a try, if not then it will just go on the windshield.

·
Wegue Wegue
12,785 Posts
As long as the suction cup isn't close to the edges, you'll be fine.
It's the surface you mount on that grips the windshield, then the suction cup gripping the surface. (basically you're using TWO suction mounts.) Try ripping the suction cup off the windshield by pulling it, you can't , but if you lift the edge , air gets in and suction is lost. Similar to what would happen if the tint started peeling it eventually all comes off, after a long period of ugliness... but for that to happen is very rare.)

Mounting a suction cup on tint is okay, finding a spot on the tint will be a challenge. Unlike glass, the tint surface is pitted with imperfections, tiny air bubbles bumps, etc. if you get it to stick, awesome, don't be let down if there isn't enough 'grip' for the suction to work, it can be overcome by using a tiny amount of clear silicon to ensure an tight seal, tiny, like really tiny, very thin, very very thin... it's messy.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.