8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In another thread I see where somone said dealers reccomend not tinting your windows if you have NAVIGATION, because it can cause it to malfunction? I didn't know tint had metalic in it? I planned on getting my windows tinted at 20 percent all the way around soon after my purchase. I was wondering if there is a certain tint I should or shouldn't use? The place where I take it is very professional and they should know, but I'm glad it was brought to my attention that a certain tint can cause the navigation to malfunction. Thanks

·
Registered
141 Posts
I did a search on yahoo concerning your question. Yes there it metallized tint that affects navigation systems. I reccomend going with a non-matallized tint and you should be fine.

·
Registered
21,304 Posts
That's an interesting bit of information. :thumb: Thank you 06civicex! I'll have to remember that when I get tint.

·
Registered
518 Posts
only prob wit non metalic tint is it will fade alot quicker...
i tinted my accord, and i have nav, and yes dealers busted my balls when my nav malfunctioned

·
Registered
141 Posts
Compariable Navigation Units??

Please everyone I need your help? Does anyone have any ideas or sugestions on what the best aftermarket portable Navigation unit that is compariable to honda's navi. I heard Alpine makes honda nav, but I need a good portable unit with a good sized screen. Thanks in advance.

·
Registered
166 Posts
TomTom series are good ones! The graphics are good touch screen ,I believe, and SD cards for holding maps. Nice package all in all!
TomTom

·
Registered
518 Posts
reason the nav might malfunction when u have it tinted is because alot of tint has metal in it(to prevent fading) so the metal in the tint interfears with your reception from the sat.
this causes your nav and the sat to not work properly with each other...
and basically you might be 400 yards close to a mile away from where u wanna be and the nav says u have arrived, or vise versa

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think i'm gonna go with the tomtom 700. There are a few U.S seller on ebay with competative prices. Bestbuys and circiut city says retail is $899, I have seen a few repuable sellers on ebay offering it for around $700. I like the idea that its bluetooth integrated and portable so I can take it out of my car at night or use it in friends cars.

·
Registered
108 Posts
I've never heard that before, definitly something to keep in mind.

Where is the Navi's antennae (sp.?) in the back window? Would it malfunction with tint only on the back windows?

·
Registered
518 Posts
GeeOff said:
I've never heard that before, definitly something to keep in mind.

Where is the Navi's antennae (sp.?) in the back window? Would it malfunction with tint only on the back windows?
yup only the back windshield, thats where the line of sight to the sat is.
the antenna is on the back dash

·
Registered
18 Posts
the GPS antenna is under the gauge cowl in the front dash, not in the rear. so tinting your rear window will be just fine on civics, but i recommend leaving the front alone, not even a visor.

with poor antenna reception u may find the navi nto working at all or being off. this will be due to the number of satelites it picks up.

2 satelites to even find you
3 to find an axxis
4 to find elevation.

gps signals are very weak as it is. so even a non metalic tint can create poor navi performance.

·
Registered
297 Posts
I have 20% tints all around and added a tint strip across the top of the windshield. No issues with the stock gps. As zero said, the antenna is under the windshield

·
Registered
101 Posts
A friend of mine has a IS 300 with navi with metallic tint and he has no problems with the navi at all....someone needs to run some tests to show if the metallic tint really screws up the navi or not

1 - 20 of 26 Posts