8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,111 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the si is my first stick car, so i'm still learning. what i was doing while shifting was clutch in, move shifter, then i would start adding gas and let the clutch out. kind of similar to how you do it from stop to first. so my shifts were really bucky and jerky. now i realize you need to let the clutch back out before you get back on the gas and my shifts are so much smoother. did shifting the way i was do any serious damage?

·
Registered
3,648 Posts
nothing serious. your clutch may not like you after a while if you keep it up. I dont know can you smell it burning?

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
If you were unsure on how to drive stick, you should have asked someone to teach you. Anyway, it didn't do much damage besides put unnecessary wear on your clutch...no harm to the car :)

·
Registered
11,889 Posts
dnbsi said:
clutch in, move shifter, then i would start adding gas and let the clutch out. . now i realize you need to let the clutch back out before you get back on the gas and my shifts are so much smoother.
i thought u always add gas slightly while letting the clutch out..... doing that i sumtimes get little jerks too.... but i thought thats how its supposed to be.

but clutch out completely b4 adding gas ???

Do I need help with my driving ?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!

HELPPPPP

·
Registered
1,468 Posts
nayilsi said:
i thought u always add gas slightly while letting the clutch out..... doing that i sumtimes get little jerks too.... but i thought thats how its supposed to be.

but clutch out completely b4 adding gas ???

Do I need help with my driving ?!?!?!?!?!!!!!!!

HELPPPPP
you're supposed to add some gas while letting out the clutch. You let out the clutch fast until right before the engagement point, stop and start letting it off slowly, add some gas, then completely let go of the clutch. You'll figure it out soon :)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts