8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
With the new suspension and bigger sway bars, higher spring rates, and more shock travel - you will only enjoy auto x more. This car will be more stable (Ex and especially Si) and will rotate more than the 7thgen. (ie rotation = back of car rotating out, so its kicking out the back).

Eddie

·
Registered
166 Posts
~racnjsn04~ said:
I guess the LSD is what makes the Si so good for auto crossing. How about the Ex tho, Im thinking about auto-crossing with my new car.Is that crazy?
I auto X with my ex - have koni yellows and lowering springs on her and she does very well

·
Registered
1,291 Posts
~racnjsn04~ said:
Would the new Si be good car for auto crossing?
OK,

If you are just getting into the sport, an 87 Sentra XE would be an ideal car! You see, this sport is all about seat time... I've been doing it for 11 years (nationally since 2000) and can honestly say that I am still learning.

Autocrossing places MUCH greater emphasis on the driver rather than the car. I am going to be buying a 2006 Civic LX Coupe once my B16 93 Coupe is sold. The 93 is basically a race car without a pickup and trialer to tow it... I am stepping down to a "simpler" class. Why?

Because it isn't about money (as much) in the "slower" SCCA stock classes like GS and HS (which is where I think the non-Si Civics will go btw). Once you reach DS (ITR, 2006 Si) and climb through CS (99 Miata), BS (C4 Vette), AS (S2000) and end in SS (911, Z06 Vette) you run the risk of being in the flavor of the month classes.

What I mean is, if you are just doing this for shits and giggles, fine, get the Si, I'll admit stepping from a car with an LSD to one without will take some driving adjustment, but if you get hooked and then decide to do this on a bigger scale, be prepared for "the next great thing" to unseat the Si. For now, the ITR is still my favorite in the class as it is 400# lighter, features basically the same hp and is within the ballpark torque-wise, and has the gearing to allow it to stay in 2nd (60+ mph) on 90% of all autocross courses. I don't know if the new 2006 Si's gearbox will allow 60 in 2nd.

Almost 2900# is quite high, I am impressed that the LX weighs almost 250# less and features an almost identical toque per pound rating... Only the Si's gearing will allow it to accelerate it harder. BUT, you must find the power MUCH higher in the rev range. The R18 in the LX/EX makes power in the midrange (4-5500rpm) where many corners in autocrossing leave you when finished navigating them.

It's like the Celica GT and GTS. The GT is actually the better autocross car because the GTS makes power too high up for anyone to really extract its true potential long enough on the average SCCA Solo course to convince people otherwise.

Sorry for it being so long!

·
Premium Member
7,195 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
honda93 said:
OK,

If you are just getting into the sport, an 87 Sentra XE would be an ideal car! You see, this sport is all about seat time... I've been doing it for 11 years (nationally since 2000) and can honestly say that I am still learning.

Autocrossing places MUCH greater emphasis on the driver rather than the car. I am going to be buying a 2006 Civic LX Coupe once my B16 93 Coupe is sold. The 93 is basically a race car without a pickup and trialer to tow it... I am stepping down to a "simpler" class. Why?

Because it isn't about money (as much) in the "slower" SCCA stock classes like GS and HS (which is where I think the non-Si Civics will go btw). Once you reach DS (ITR, 2006 Si) and climb through CS (99 Miata), BS (C4 Vette), AS (S2000) and end in SS (911, Z06 Vette) you run the risk of being in the flavor of the month classes.

What I mean is, if you are just doing this for shits and giggles, fine, get the Si, I'll admit stepping from a car with an LSD to one without will take some driving adjustment, but if you get hooked and then decide to do this on a bigger scale, be prepared for "the next great thing" to unseat the Si. For now, the ITR is still my favorite in the class as it is 400# lighter, features basically the same hp and is within the ballpark torque-wise, and has the gearing to allow it to stay in 2nd (60+ mph) on 90% of all autocross courses. I don't know if the new 2006 Si's gearbox will allow 60 in 2nd.

Almost 2900# is quite high, I am impressed that the LX weighs almost 250# less and features an almost identical toque per pound rating... Only the Si's gearing will allow it to accelerate it harder. BUT, you must find the power MUCH higher in the rev range. The R18 in the LX/EX makes power in the midrange (4-5500rpm) where many corners in autocrossing leave you when finished navigating them.

It's like the Celica GT and GTS. The GT is actually the better autocross car because the GTS makes power too high up for anyone to really extract its true potential long enough on the average SCCA Solo course to convince people otherwise.

Thanks for explaining that to me, makes sense to me. I would love to go auto-xing in scca. That would be awesome!

·
Registered
805 Posts
honda93 said:
OK,

Nice write up :thumb:

1 - 11 of 11 Posts