8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know some manufactures are phsyco about getting your oil changed at a dealer to keep your warrenty valid. Is Honda like this? Or can I just do my own oil change and be ok? Thanks

Also is Mobel 1 5W-30 good for my Si? Thanks agian.

·
Registered
362 Posts
In the user manual, there's a section for you to write in the oil changes that are done by you or other oil chance places other than Honda. So I assume they are okay with you changing your own oil but want it recorded if there may be any warranty issues later.

·
Registered
494 Posts
nexgen91 said:
I know some manufactures are phsyco about getting your oil changed at a dealer to keep your warrenty valid. Is Honda like this? Or can I just do my own oil change and be ok? Thanks
As wheeler wrote, log your changes and keep your receipts for the oil and filters.

nexgen91 said:
Also is Mobel 1 5W-30 good for my Si? Thanks agian.
Yes, Mobil 1 5W-30 is good for your Si, that said, 0W-30 (a superset of 5W-30) is even better.

·
Banned
380 Posts
There is some kind of law in Texas that protects consumers who do their own scheduled maintenance. As stated, you just have to keep your receipts to show what mileage the changes were done at.

·
Registered
1,364 Posts
Keep a log, receipts, and do not exceed the longest factory recommended drain interval and you'll be fine.

Even as an AMSOIL dealer my dad's F150 is on 5k intervals with Motorcraft 5w20 and Motorcraft filters.....and it kills me to do it! But better safe than sorry.

·
Registered
2,287 Posts
i don't think it void the warranty. some people don't like the dealer, some can go outside and do it for cheaper, as for me i do it myself. what kind of bs is that when you don't change it with the dealer your warranty is void.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I spoke with my dealer about servicing my car and was told that it won't void the warranty. He said to make sure I keep a record of reciepts and mileage.

·
Registered
2 Posts
As wheeler wrote, log your changes and keep your receipts for the oil and filters.

Yes, Mobil 1 5W-30 is good for your Si, that said, 0W-30 (a superset of 5W-30) is even better.
I have a 12 Si, what do u mean a superset of the 2 oils? 2 quarts of each? Really? Why is that if u dont mind me asking.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Oil to use

As wheeler wrote, Yes, Mobil 1 5W-30 is good for your Si, that said, 0W-30 (a superset of 5W-30) is even better.
Hi. I just got a 12' Si. What do u mean, 2 quarts of each? Really? Why is that if u dont mind me asking.
Also I've read that people use a thicker oil in winter, is this valid? I live in NJ.

Thanks

·
Registered
3,906 Posts
0w30 is going to be the same viscosity as 5w30 at operating temp but not thicken up as much when cold. It takes some extra chemistry to make a 0w30, you won't likely find it offered as a conventional oil, and it tends to be a bit more expensive.

Using a thicker oil in winter is backwards, if anything you would use a lower first number (_w) for better oil flow on cold starts.

Just read the manual, it's got oil viscosity recommendations and temp ranges.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts