8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Wierd fumes and burning smell in Si...

Hey guys, I picked up the Si tonight and brought her home. It is roughly 25 miles to the dealership. On my way home I stopped by to show off the car when I noticed an odd burning smell coming from the engine. You could see the smoke moving in front of the headlights. Not alot of smoke, but enough to worry. I was able to take it on the interstate and got it up to 75-78. Let me know what you other Si guys are coming up with. Or what you guys think. I found a couple of scratches and am taking it back on Wed. Then I should have pics for everyone.
:help:

·
Banned
308 Posts
i dont sell hondas.. but i do sell new cars.. that is normal.. it goes away before 100 miles.. the engine is breaking a few seals.. go easy on the motor..

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thankyou

I will have to remind myself to wait until that 100 mile mark to get over 55 again. I think it was that 2 miles ont eh interstate at 75 that pushed it. :thumb:

·
Registered
136 Posts
Slight burning smells are pretty normal on a new motor but they should go away pretty fast. It's worse on a car with a turbo.

I had one new car that actually smoked a little when you opened the hood. It wasn't bad seals or anything but the detailing crew had sprayed the motor with some kind of armor-all stuff.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That is exactly what was happening. Actually, becuase the front rake on the SI is much longer and the engine bieng tucked under, the fumes really had no other place to go but up and out from under the hood when stoped. That makes alot of sense. I will still be putting some type of custom hood on the extract or force air over the engine.

·
Registered
201 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks.
I checked the oil, and it didn't have a burn smell in it, nor discoloration. I appreciate the help. I have my girl putting iles on it, by taking it to and from work, where she isn't going to be going over 55.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts