8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Banned
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wideband is cutting out SOMETIMES during tuning so I didn't get any nitrous runs at all. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? They tried 2 new sensors and they both are doing the same thing. At upper RPMS it SOMETIMES reads 7.5 which is not accurate. It is just cutting out randomly, it is not happening every time and it is not happening at certain rpms.

Rick (the tuner) thinks it MIGHT have something to do with the resonance of my exhaust setup but he is going to contact Innovative and hopefully get back to me sometime today. I need some help from the 8th to avoid a LOT of unnecessary shop time trying to fix this issue. I have a skunk2 70mm exhaust and a Kidd Racing header. The wideband is in the place of the factory S02. Anyone have any ideas?

·
Banned
4,164 Posts
My wideband is cutting out SOMETIMES during tuning so I didn't get any nitrous runs at all. Does anyone have any thoughts on this? They tried 2 new sensors and they both are doing the same thing. At upper RPMS it SOMETIMES reads 7.5 which is not accurate. It is just cutting out randomly, it is not happening every time and it is not happening at certain rpms.

Rick (the tuner) thinks it MIGHT have something to do with the resonance of my exhaust setup but he is going to contact Innovative and hopefully get back to me sometime today. I need some help from the 8th to avoid a LOT of unnecessary shop time trying to fix this issue. I have a skunk2 70mm exhaust and a Kidd Racing header. The wideband is in the place of the factory S02. Anyone have any ideas?
thats where mine is at and ive never had any problem like that. i had a skunk2 header with a custom 3 inch exhaust with a vibrant resonator..

could it possibly something in your wiring?

what wideband is it?

·
Registered
2,556 Posts
innovate wide bande, the op mentioned it in the 1st post..

in for answers bc i have teh same widebanddd, i enver installed mine yet.. planning on soon tho

·
Banned
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I doubt very much its the wiring. Flashpro is reading the same AF/R as the display on the wideband controller so it seems to be wired good. Plus its working perfectly most of the time or its reading 7.5 like it's just dead :(

It'll come right back though, but obviously this isn't good enough, especially since N20 is involved.

·
Premium Member
1,156 Posts
I doubt very much its the wiring. Flashpro is reading the same AF/R as the display on the wideband controller so it seems to be wired good. Plus its working perfectly most of the time or its reading 7.5 like it's just dead :(

It'll come right back though, but obviously this isn't good enough, especially since N20 is involved.
Where is the unit grounded? It might be a ground loop issue where the frequency of the feedback in the ground is causing the unit to fail. Hondata states that the best place to ground a wideband is the same ground as the ecu.

·
Banned
4,164 Posts
Where is the unit grounded? It might be a ground loop issue where the frequency of the feedback in the ground is causing the unit to fail. Hondata states that the best place to ground a wideband is the same ground as the ecu.
kinda of what i was shooting at but i didnt want to insult this guys wiring

·
Banned
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
It's not my wiring it's Kinetic Motorsports wiring. I will pass that info along to the tuner. Please...don't hold answers back lol. Nothing will insult me I just want my car fixed haha.

·
Banned
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Just sent him an email asking where it's grounded. Thanks :thumb: I hope it's something simple.

·
Registered
9 Posts
I had a similar problem with my Innovate LM-1 about 5+ years ago on an all motor B18C in a ’98 Civic with header, cams, etc. It would cut out and I would see random AFR values. So I bought a new O2 sensor. The LM-1 wouldn’t even calibrate or start up correctly with the new O2 sensor. I finally sent the LM-1 unit and O2 sensor to Innovate. The LM-1 unit had some kind of failure, which they repaired. It has worked ever since then. Sounds like there might be something wrong with the unit.

Another thing to look into, your O2 sensor isn’t getting too hot, is it? I never had such a problem, and I don’t think you would either. I just remember Innovate showing how to add a heat-sink to the O2 sensor, if this is the case. They even have the HBX-1 Heat-Sink bung extender.

Good luck.

·
Banned
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Hmmm thanks for posting that info. All good things to look into. The tuner said he did NOT wire it to the same location as the ECU, but he really doesn't think that is the problem since it is definitely grounded.

I hope they repair/replace it for me too that would be awesome. I just don't wanna pay for any more shop time on this but I know I have to :(

·
Banned
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Now its just permanently at 22.4. Sometimes when I start it up it shows 7.5 but once it's warmed up the wideband always displays 22.4

This is pretty frustrating :(

·
Banned
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Don't think its an exhaust leak. Now the shop is saying it will probably need a new sensor just to troubleshoot the controller. I'm wondering do you guys think it would be cheaper to just get a new (AEM) wideband and have any shop wire that in its place and just be done with it?

·
Banned
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Pressed the reset button (which I had done at least 20 times before) but this time like a mad man over and over and it seems to be working again....lol. The only other thing I did was wash my car rofl.

I am beginning to think shoddy wiring or something crazy. I am still holding out on the N20 for a little bit.

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
maybe you did just really get a bad wideband. have they tried plugging in a new one and seeing what is going on? The shop shouldn't be charging you extra time because they can't figure out how to wire it up

·
Banned
6,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
maybe you did just really get a bad wideband. have they tried plugging in a new one and seeing what is going on? The shop shouldn't be charging you extra time because they can't figure out how to wire it up

Well as it stands now I am done with the shop (for good) but everything is working now. I just reset it like a maniac lol. I pressed the neutral air calibration button like 6 times in a row while I was pissed. Good ole' punch the tv trick if you will :facepalm: Anyway...its working now and I just haven't run N20 yet. I am trying to save up some $ for a little while so I doubt I'll be spraying anytime soon anyway.

I'll keep this updated if it breaks again or anything in case anyone else is in the same situation. Seems to be all good now :thumb:

·
Registered
648 Posts
Hey sorry to bring this from the dead but i am having the same issue as you explained. Reading pretty close to the same numbers as well. Did you end up finding out what exactly was wrong? Mine is the digital innovate.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts