8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 43 Posts

·
Crazy Yellow Puppet
26,930 Posts
Welcome to the forum! I'm not sure there's a definite answer to your question, but it is a valid one. I think Honda made a great move by offering the Hybrids with a couple different exterior color choices, but I'm really not sure why they chose to make the interiors navy blue and tan (and whatever the other color choices are). Hopefully there's a color combo available that suits your tastes.

2008 Honda Civic Hybrid - Color Selector - the Official Honda Web Site

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
One of the reasons the Hybrid interior isn't in black is because black absorbds more heat and the A/C will have to work harder to cool the interior, thus lowering fuel economy, a lighter colored interior helps with better fuel economy

·
Registered
550 Posts
One of the reasons the Hybrid interior isn't in black is because black absorbds more heat and the A/C will have to work harder to cool the interior, thus lowering fuel economy, a lighter colored interior helps with better fuel economy
Oh, never knew that :thumb:

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have seen the dark blue interior change to light gray with a leather conversion. I was bothered by the large contrast between the light gray seat shells and the dark blue cloth. I have also been perplexed why Honda and Toyota for that matter would think that potential hybrid owners would not like a sunroof, leather or other premium interior and other "standard" items found in non-hybrid cars. I can sort of understand the logic for the saucer style wheels, but they are challenging for sure.

·
Banned
18,265 Posts
actually there have been tests done on other cars, i say other cars b/c i haven't seen one on the civics yet... but these tests have proven that the a/c wastes more gas theory is WRONG... especially on the highway... city is about even but hwy u actually get more mpg using the a/c...

if driving manual: if u shift at the same rpms with a/c on or off u will get the same mpg...

i've even seen dyno's where the a/c only makes the car lose about 5-10lbtq off peak and the hp is only off by about 1-2hp...

·
Registered
504 Posts
actually there have been tests done on other cars, i say other cars b/c i haven't seen one on the civics yet... but these tests have proven that the a/c wastes more gas theory is WRONG... especially on the highway... city is about even but hwy u actually get more mpg using the a/c...

if driving manual: if u shift at the same rpms with a/c on or off u will get the same mpg...

i've even seen dyno's where the a/c only makes the car lose about 5-10lbtq off peak and the hp is only off by about 1-2hp...
I agree to some extent. It still introduce significant loss, IMHO. In fact, you can feel the car slow down slightly when the compressor kicks in. To compensate, you have to give it more gas. Not to mention that the blowers (both inside and the fan outside) are turned on with the A/C, putting more load on the alternator, adding more drag to the engine.

But on the highway, you would usually open the windows when not using the A/C. This disturbs the car's aerodynamics and would somewhat affect MPG. You're better off turning on the A/C (windows closed) on the highway... roughly the same MPG but much more comfortable for the passengers (little or no wind noise).

Sorry for going OT.

1 - 20 of 43 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.