8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
A buddy of mine has an Si coupe with Mugen suspension designed for the sedan. Instead of paying $620 for the coupe HFP suspension, why not use the sedan suspension on a coupe for $430? He said there was no problem installing and it rides awesome.

·
Banned
24,191 Posts
More than likely there is'nt much difference between the two different parts.But then again some companies do independant testing for each as there should be small differences between the chassis that need to be optimised for.

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
Anyone know what the differences between the sedan and coupe HFP suspensions are?
Strut and shock valving for sure, but not sure if the spring rates are slightly different (if any) between the two. Nobody really knows the difference as Honda didn't publish that information.

Poeple have done what you question and seem to work fine as both Coupe and Sedan suspensions are physically interchangeable.

·
Registered
71 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Strut and shock valving for sure, but not sure if the spring rates are slightly different (if any) between the two. Nobody really knows the difference as Honda didn't publish that information.

Poeple have done what you question and seem to work fine as both Coupe and Sedan suspensions are physically interchangeable.
what is different about the shock valving? The only difference I can see on my friends Mugen SS is a bracket for a brake line mount. I know what I can see doesn't mean they aren't different but if the Sedan and Coupe stock Si suspensions are the same then it stands to reason so are the HFP Si suspensions. Maybe this bracket is enough reason for Honda to give them a different part#?
I have a blown shock and need to do something asap

·
Registered
10,957 Posts
what is different about the shock valving? The only difference I can see on my friends Mugen SS is a bracket for a brake line mount. I know what I can see doesn't mean they aren't different but if the Sedan and Coupe stock Si suspensions are the same then it stands to reason so are the HFP Si suspensions. Maybe this bracket is enough reason for Honda to give them a different part#?
I have a blown shock and need to do something asap
Shock valves control the rebound, compression rate, and dampening. These can completly change the ride from ultra soft to super hard. From bouncy to controled..... Racers will adjust shock valves based on the track and even driver weight. Some go so far as to set up the driver side shocks different from the passenger side to account for the 200lbs driver.

If I recall correctly the stock Si sedan is sold with stiffer front springs. I would assume HFP is also stiffer plus correct valve settings.

Perhaps you can find the same shocks at a different vendor for the better price.

·
Registered
23,477 Posts
can anyone with the HFP sedan kit on a coupe comment? I've seen all kinds of posts where people have heard you can do this but never anyone that's actually done it themselves
...Poeple have done what you question and seem to work fine as both Coupe and Sedan suspensions are physically interchangeable.

·
Registered
344 Posts
I'm doing this in a week will let you guys know how it goes, putting hfp coupe on my fa5 because it was a deal I couldn't pass up, although I know there's atleas 2 other members on here that have already done it and are completly satisfied

·
Registered
43 Posts
I put FG2 (coupe) HFP suspension on my FA5 (sedan) There's been a lot of speculation, I can tell you the car handles superbly with the FG2 coupe suspension on it. I'd say that there isn't any difference between the two and honda applied different part numbers to track which of its owners were purchasing HFP parts, possibly to determine market trends for future marketing. If you look at the install directions for the two they are identical and I can tell you from having them on my car every bolt went right back where it came from. I will say coupe to sedan and back the pieces from honda are the same. enjoy your HFP, I think you'll really like it!

·
Registered
344 Posts
I put FG2 (coupe) HFP suspension on my FA5 (sedan) There's been a lot of speculation, I can tell you the car handles superbly with the FG2 coupe suspension on it. I'd say that there isn't any difference between the two and honda applied different part numbers to track which of its owners were purchasing HFP parts, possibly to determine market trends for future marketing. If you look at the install directions for the two they are identical and I can tell you from having them on my car every bolt went right back where it came from. I will say coupe to sedan and back the pieces from honda are the same. enjoy your HFP, I think you'll really like it!
i agree my moms suspension guy ( lifts trucks ect..) said theres no difference atleast that he could see they sell the kit there... i just got it for way less elsewhere :) but he will be installing it once it comes in the mail:deadhorse:

·
Registered
94 Posts
i agree w/ happy as well i've also done the coupe hfp suspension on my r18 sedan. rides a whole lot better. i wanna say it lowered about 3/4th of an inch all around.

·
Registered
439 Posts
i agree my moms suspension guy ( lifts trucks ect..) said theres no difference atleast that he could see they sell the kit there... i just got it for way less elsewhere :) but he will be installing it once it comes in the mail:deadhorse:
So any results? I'm about to do it within the next week or so. And I did read th guy above you, just curious on your results

·
Premium Member
7,409 Posts
I just installed HFP suspension meant for an FG2 on my FA5. So far I've driven about 100 miles and haven't had any issues. The installation went smoothly and the ride seems the same as my friends FA5 with HFP meant for the FA5. I'll report back in a week or so about how it's doing.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.