8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
why did honda quit making the hatchback for north america?. i see the rabbit and it looks great and i see the last ones out there and i wanna get one some day so what gives with honda?.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
ep3 didnt sell as well? i rarely see the 01-05 Si.. i like them but the engine was way underpowered and a lot of people arent as into the hatch anymore

·
Registered
5,745 Posts
I believe the Ep3 was the worst selling Si for Honda in America. The 99 Si coupe sold really well, so that's why Honda went back to the coupe design. Besides, the EP3 looked like a mini-van.

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
I believe the Ep3 was the worst selling Si for Honda in America. The 99 Si coupe sold really well, so that's why Honda went back to the coupe design. Besides, the EP3 looked like a mini-van.
haha i wanted to use the mini-van thing but i dont mind the ep3.. after riding in a S/C one i fell in love with it

·
Registered
243 Posts
I hope the next gen SI is a hatch. They are much more versatile than either coupe or 4dr models. With gas prices staying high for the near term Honda would be wise to cram as much utility into their cars as possible. The idea of an all wheel drive, turbo, hatch for the next SI is the way to go.

·
Registered
243 Posts
why all wheel drive? And honda making a turbo? i wanna see that
Well Honda needs to keep ahead of the pack. Turbo's will become more popular as car makers look for more power from small displacement engines. 4 and 6 cylinders will replace many v8's for performance and economy. I guess I could do without AWD but it would be nice to put the power to the ground.

·
Registered
3,049 Posts
With gas prices staying high for the near term Honda would be wise to cram as much utility into their cars as possible......all wheel drive, turbo, hatch for the next SI is the way to go.

ummm....

Turbo + AWD = good fuel economy?

·
Registered
5,818 Posts
honda makes AWD F/I cars... they're just called Acura...

and yea the fit is a hatch but i took it as the OP was talking about the Si...

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
im pretty sure they wanted the civic to be only a sedan and coupe cause as
someone mentioned above, you have the Fit/FitSport for hatchback needs.

·
Registered
8,756 Posts
The 04+ EP3 was actually nice, esp w/ gunmetal CTR headlights. Part of the reason why the sucker didn't sell was it was underpowered at 160hp, and still used a 5spd. Not much faster than an EX.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
:yeahthat:

I was actually looking at used late-model EP3s before getting my FG2. I like the way they look, and the versatility of a hatch without having to buy a sedan. I also like the seats, and the shifter position. I thought I'd mind not having a center armrest, but -- I actually don't mind either way.

The EP3's main problem is that hatchbacks do not seem to sell well here, at least until the MazdaSpeed 3 came along and wow'ed everyone with power and torque (much like the M-B C63 AMG, come to think of it....). The 160hp engine was lackluster, with the same horsepower as the 5th gen. It was also heavier, thus making it slower. And, a 6800RPM redline is hardly the cusp of exciting 4 cylinder engines. And finally, it was Honda's first move to the McPherson strut suspension, rather than the double-wishbone set-up of yesteryear.

I guess you can just call it, "Growing Pains".

And there is a hatchback. Sadly, only for the European market.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
i think the popularity of redoing a hatch like VW did for rabbit would work except dont give it a standard name like ep4 call it a cool name. i mean do you like hearing a person call your privates ***** or **** during sex or do you like hearing "i love your penis/******", which sounds sexier. i know bad analogy, im sure design and performance are a big factor not just a cool name change.

1 - 20 of 36 Posts