8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i went up the the schoolyard tonight to aim my headlights better because i was gettin more light on the right side, and it turns out the drivers side headlight is throwing crappy, cloudy light, and hte passenger side is performing fine, thus the uneven light.
right side only

left side only

both together

anyone know why this is happening? im not usin HIDs btw, im usin piaa 4100k halogen bulbs @51w if that makes a diff

·
Registered
28,275 Posts
Why is it all concentrated in a circle in the middle like that?

Should be on the ground, in almost a 180-degree dispersion. :think:

·
Banned
4,080 Posts
It doesn't even ahve the \_ \_ shape :S

move closer to the wall, get another photo, and someone might be able to help identify the problem ?

·
Six eyes
5,010 Posts
It doesn't even ahve the \_ \_ shape :S

move closer to the wall, get another photo, and someone might be able to help identify the problem ?
There's only supposed to be one drop-off.
Curtis is in Australia so he's got a different headlight cutoff spec. All the overseas Civics have much better cutoff than North America.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Another thing you may want to try OP is to switch the bulbs from side to side... as in put the passenger one in the drivers side and the drivers one in the passenger side. Does the "dimness" go with the bulb?

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
i switched them and im just waitin for it to get dark so i can check the difference, hopefully it fixes my problem :x

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
forgot to update :x i switched them and it was the same, turns out when my headlight was replaced after an accident they didnt re-aim it, so it was at the sky basically.. i did my best to re aim it and its much better now, still not perfect tho

·
Six eyes
5,010 Posts
forgot to update :x i switched them and it was the same, turns out when my headlight was replaced after an accident they didnt re-aim it, so it was at the sky basically.. i did my best to re aim it and its much better now, still not perfect tho
Also make sure that when they replaced the light, they re-installed it properly. I just finished doing a retro for a guy a few weeks ago and when he dropped the car off, he mentioned that the driver's side was not aimed well, despite his best efforts to fix it. I told him I'd take a look at it (especially considering I was doing a retro...).
Turns out that the headlight he had bought to replace the old damaged one had been mangled by the bonehead previous owner, which made it really easy for the shop to install the light wrong on his car. It turned out to be an easy fix, but moral of the story is if you're going to check your aim, check that the lights are installed correctly first.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
it still looks the same i aimed as best i could.. the screw in the left headlight for aiming came out of its socket(removed headlight and i could see it not gripping the housing, and i couldnt get it back on w/o opening headlight.. and my oven is too small to open them like the DIT clearing headlights guide said.. FML the right one looks fine i guess. though i think i want HIDs in the future sometime.

·
Registered
28,275 Posts
I think he means the lens of the headlight is faded/dirty to the point that it dimishes light.

I have yet to see an 8thgen with this yet though.

·
Registered
883 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
:facepalm: I have yet to see plastic rust.
exactly why i was really confused.. LOL

its not the original part i got T-boned by a grand cherokee right in the front left tire(lucky all i had was a stiff neck for a day) id assume they replaced with a honda genuine part since insurance paid for it. that explained the mis-aiming from before.. however now the aimin screw broke so im stuck.. i got yellow highbeams for dark spots though so its all good =]

1 - 18 of 18 Posts