8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a new guy here and this is my first post ever. I just bought my 07 Si about three weeks ago, Ive never owned a honda in the past so please forgive my ignorance if this is a stupid question. Why is it that my A/C is always on. Im refering to the top portion of the buttons/controls. My windshield defroster and everything else on that line never seems to turn itself off. The light always stays on unlike the bottom portion like the rear defroster and MAX A/C buttons which if I press it twice the light will turn off. Is this supposed to be normal or am I just that ignorant. Any help is greatly appreciated, Thanks.

·
Registered
2,949 Posts
You must select one option to be always on. In my case, I always have the face fans lit. Only until the AC light is lit will the fan acctually blow cold air.

Your owner's manual will help you out with further questions you may have about this. It's all in there.

·
Registered
322 Posts
Another thing is also when it comes to defrosting windows, the A/C button acts as a dehumidifier to remove the moisture out of the air.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
i noticed that on my EX sedan, i hear the a/c compressor turning on when
in the feet vent mode. the a/c LED does not light up, but i can hear
the compressor going on/off... similar to when we have it in the defrost
mode. the compressor turns on automatically regardless of the LED.

·
Premium Member
141,752 Posts
This will give you the option to turn it off when using the defrost vents.

1. Turn car on.
2. Turn temperature knob all the way cold and turn the fan knob to off.
3. Put vent location to "face"
4. Turn car off
5. Hold down the Recirculation Button and the A/C Button.
6. Hold down both buttons and turn the key all the way to the on position.
7. Keep both buttons depressed until one of the lights blink a few times, then you get a solid green light once the change has been made. Then let go.
8. See if it works by putting the fan on in Defrost. You should see the A/C light turn on and you should be able to turn it off.

·
Registered
595 Posts
kenchan said:
i noticed that on my EX sedan, i hear the a/c compressor turning on when
in the feet vent mode. the a/c LED does not light up, but i can hear
the compressor going on/off... similar to when we have it in the defrost
mode. the compressor turns on automatically regardless of the LED.
IM not sure but isnt that your electric cooling fan going on and off to maintain a set tempature?? Im pretty sure as with my older hondas we would disconnect them and hookem to a switch for better cooling (I lived in yuma AZ and it can average 115-120F in a summer) and let it run after we turned the car off. with it connected it would come on and off regularly

·
Registered
878 Posts
^ Yes - this is a feature that has really bugged me. The AC results in a 3 to 4 mpg decrease for me. 90% of that reduction - I suspect - is a result of me over-revving to compensate for the loss in power due to parastic drag from the AC system.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Why is this even an option, how does having the AC on at all times help us out? This thing is anoying the hell out of me. Im going to try out those steps that dentrecords suggested but, what bothers me is that I shouldn't be having to go through this trouble.

·
Premium Member
141,752 Posts
NO MA'AM said:
Why is this even an option, how does having the AC on at all times help us out? This thing is anoying the hell out of me. Im going to try out those steps that dentrecords suggested but, what bothers me is that I shouldn't be having to go through this trouble.
From the original thread where I got the information:

"the AC removes excess humidity from the air. Drier air can more easily absorb the condensation on the inside of the windshield which allows the defroster to "defog" the glass that much faster.

If you live in a relatively low humidity environment, you don't need the AC on for the defrost to work. If you live in a relatively humid part of the country, like I do here on the Texas Gulf Coast, you won't have much luck defrosting the windshield with the AC off. It will take a lot longer to defrost than it will if the AC is on. I think that's the main reason that most auto manufacturers set the system to activate the AC in defrost mode. They've gotten tired of customers in humid climates complaining about the defrost not working when they refuse to leave the AC on. Instead, the manufacturer just takes the decision away from the customer."

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
dentrecords said:
From the original thread where I got the information:

"the AC removes excess humidity from the air. Drier air can more easily absorb the condensation on the inside of the windshield which allows the defroster to "defog" the glass that much faster.

If you live in a relatively low humidity environment, you don't need the AC on for the defrost to work. If you live in a relatively humid part of the country, like I do here on the Texas Gulf Coast, you won't have much luck defrosting the windshield with the AC off. It will take a lot longer to defrost than it will if the AC is on. I think that's the main reason that most auto manufacturers set the system to activate the AC in defrost mode. They've gotten tired of customers in humid climates complaining about the defrost not working when they refuse to leave the AC on. Instead, the manufacturer just takes the decision away from the customer."
Enough said.

·
Registered
2,643 Posts
bulletSisedan said:
IM not sure but isnt that your electric cooling fan going on and off to maintain a set tempature?? Im pretty sure as with my older hondas we would disconnect them and hookem to a switch for better cooling (I lived in yuma AZ and it can average 115-120F in a summer) and let it run after we turned the car off. with it connected it would come on and off regularly
really? cause this was in the winter... not that im not saying
that cars won't overheat in the dead winter (it can).

·
Registered
450 Posts
Does this feature turned on from factory for Canadian versions as well? Just wondering because there's strong winters here.

·
Registered
878 Posts
dentrecords said:

1. Turn car on.
4. Turn car off
7. Keep both buttons depressed until one of the lights blink a few times, then you get a solid green light once the change has been made. Then let go.
8. See if it works by putting the fan on in Defrost. You should see the A/C light turn on and you should be able to turn it off.
Fantastic! I just confirmed that this works. Thanks.

·
Premium Member
141,752 Posts
dextor said:
Does this feature turned on from factory for Canadian versions as well? Just wondering because there's strong winters here.
Yes, it's on for the Canadian versions. Totally unnecessary (in the Winter when there is very low humidity). Do the above steps and save yourself some gas!

·
Registered
450 Posts
dentrecords said:
Yes, it's on for the Canadian versions. Totally unnecessary (in the Winter when there is very low humidity). Do the above steps and save yourself some gas!
Sounds good! I'm going to try it today and see if it works.

·
Registered
5 Posts
How in the hell would you find out how to "hack" your air conditioner....wow:)

dentrecords said:

1. Turn car on.
4. Turn car off

1 - 20 of 115 Posts