8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I'm all confused what I'm looking to get for my next car. Pretty sure it's gonna be an EX Civic, but also in the mix are the Si and RSX-S (in addition to the Nissan SE-R Spec V, but the other post clears up why that's scratched off).

Anywho, one thing really made a big difference for me, both the gas mileage and gas requirement differences. Here's a rough calculation I whipped up. The following assumes and average of:

15,000 - MPY (Miles Driven per Year)

$2.20/gal 87 Octane for EX
$2.40/gal 91^ Octane for Si/RSX-S

35MPG for EX
25MPG for Si/RSX-S
Civic EX
15,000mi / 35MPG = 428.57 gallons/year

428.57gal x $2.20 = $942.85/year

Civic Si/RSX-S
15,000mi / 25MPG = 600.00 gallons/year

600.00gal x $2.40 = $1440.00/year

$$$ Differences
1 Year Difference - approx $500

3 Year Difference - approx $1,500

10 Year Difference - approx $5,000

Maybe that doesn't seem like a big deal to some of you, but to me, it really kind of surprised me... these are just the differences for gas alone! For me it's easy to take in the consideration of gas mileage numbers, but I often forget the premium requirement of the Si/RSX-S. Don't even think about the insurance difference on top of that. Maybe I'll still go in that route anyways in the end, I dunno, but just wanted to share my findings:rolleyes:

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
No trying to sound like a jerk or anything, but I don't get why people are so surprised the Si sips Premium. The 99-00's did too, so it's nothing new. I guess I'm just used to paying for premium with the Legend. But I didn't realize the differences would be that much.

·
Registered
96 Posts
jandree22 said:
So I'm all confused what I'm looking to get for my next car. Pretty sure it's gonna be an EX Civic, but also in the mix are the Si and RSX-S (in addition to the Nissan SE-R Spec V, but the other post clears up why that's scratched off).

Anywho, one thing really made a big difference for me, both the gas mileage and gas requirement differences. Here's a rough calculation I whipped up. The following assumes and average of:

Civic EX
15,000mi / 35MPG = 428.57 gallons/year

428.57gal x $2.20 = $942.85/year

Civic Si/RSX-S
15,000mi / 25MPG = 600.00 gallons/year

600.00gal x $2.40 = $1440.00/year

$$$ Differences
1 Year Difference - approx $500

3 Year Difference - approx $1,500

10 Year Difference - approx $5,000

Maybe that doesn't seem like a big deal to some of you, but to me, it really kind of surprised me... these are just the differences for gas alone! For me it's easy to take in the consideration of gas mileage numbers, but I often forget the premium requirement of the Si/RSX-S. Don't even think about the insurance difference on top of that. Maybe I'll still go in that route anyways in the end, I dunno, but just wanted to share my findings:rolleyes:

Thats why I'm going with the EX. :) I'll use my motorcycle when I wanna have speed/performance

·
Registered
861 Posts
skittleslegend said:
No trying to sound like a jerk or anything, but I don't get why people are so surprised the Si sips Premium. The 99-00's did too, so it's nothing new. I guess I'm just used to paying for premium with the Legend. But I didn't realize the differences would be that much.
It seems like I always hear conflicting information about this issue, so I'll throw it out here for comment:

Various cars tell you they "need" premium, when (apparently) some of them do not. An explanation I've been given for this is that some simply won't perform as specified (horsepower, etc.) without premium fuel.

But the implication of required premium is that the engine (or some fuel system or exhaust component) will be harmed if premium is not used. I saw language somewhere (the sales brochure, I think) that stated an Si could use regular fuel only for short periods in emergencies. So...is there a risk from using non-premium fuel in an Si or an RSX? And what is it? And, if the engine is that picky, are there some additives that should be avoided? I live in Ethanol Added country, for instance.

·
Registered
321 Posts
High octane fuel is beneficial for high compression engines (or turboed/supercharged) because it prevents premature detonation. It's all about timing. Won't benefit cars without high compression.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
Jaranath said:
It seems like I always hear conflicting information about this issue, so I'll throw it out here for comment:

Various cars tell you they "need" premium, when (apparently) some of them do not. An explanation I've been given for this is that some simply won't perform as specified (horsepower, etc.) without premium fuel.

But the implication of required premium is that the engine (or some fuel system or exhaust component) will be harmed if premium is not used. I saw language somewhere (the sales brochure, I think) that stated an Si could use regular fuel only for short periods in emergencies. So...is there a risk from using non-premium fuel in an Si or an RSX? And what is it? And, if the engine is that picky, are there some additives that should be avoided? I live in Ethanol Added country, for instance.
I agree with you. I honestly don't think there is a real risk, as efficient as engines are these days compared to my 11 year old car, but I can tell you I definitely notice a difference in performance when I put anything but 91-93 Octane in the car. With 87 Octane I get about 320 miles to a tank. But with 91-93, I average about 365 miles to a tank, driving it pretty normally, meaning no real speeding or hard acceleration or what-not. But my car requires premium fuel. I've read that Honda recommends premium fuel in the Si "to achieve maxium performance," so I think you may actually be ok not running 91 or running, like 89. I don't see too many gas stations with Ethanol these days, but I did fill up at one somewhere in my 9 1/2 hour drive home the other day. I think it was in Connecticut.

·
Registered
445 Posts
If you break that $500 a year difference down, it's only $9.50 a week. I'll pay an extra $9.50 for the extra performance. Heck, I spend that much in a day on food. Think of it this way: for the price of a burger meal deal you can have a week of driving bliss.

·
Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
chenslee_cheese said:
If you break that $500 a year difference down, it's only $9.50 a week. I'll pay an extra $9.50 for the extra performance. Heck, I spend that much in a day on food. Think of it this way: for the price of a burger meal deal you can have a week of driving bliss.
Good point. I really hate the idea of buying used this time around, but after a quick look I've found several '03 RSX-S's w/about 50k miles for like $17 grand:eek: Somehow it's hard to not take notice to that! Ugh, what a confusing selection this is gonna be...

·
Registered
436 Posts
Scourge said:
High octane fuel is beneficial for high compression engines (or turboed/supercharged) because it prevents premature detonation. It's all about timing. Won't benefit cars without high compression.

yea thats why the r18 uses 87 octane with a 10.5 to 1 c/r. but its abl,e to do this because of direct injection which keeps the pistons cooler to prevent detonation.

·
Banned
7,824 Posts
jdm8thgen said:
yea thats why the r18 uses 87 octane with a 10.5 to 1 c/r. but its abl,e to do this because of direct injection which keeps the pistons cooler to prevent detonation.
Compression's going to have to come down on the Si in order to boost it. It's about as high as the current Type-R.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts