8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have 40k miles on my 07 EX AT, and have been waiting for MM to tell me to change my ATF, and after doing research, this is the most misunderstood fluid of all! Parts department at a local Honda dealer didn't even know there was a MM for ATF and asked a service adviser, they said every 30k miles, several people on the web do it at 10k miles, service manual says:

Replace Automatic Transmission Fluid (ATF) SPCA automatic transmission
Use genuine Honda ATF-Z1 At 120,000 km (75,000 miles) or 8 years, then every
80,000 km (50,000 miles) or 4 years

What the ****??? I drive my car like it's made of gold and have had no issues with shifting or anything else. Would it really benefit to change it at 40k or just wait for MM? I'd rather not do it if it's not really necessary, you know, like 3k mile oil changes.

·
Registered
53 Posts
No you don't have to at 10 or 20k. These are the same people that will tell you to change your oil after 1000 miles. True better safe than sorry, but 75k is perfect.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
OK, then my next issue, how long will sealed ATF last? Since it'll probably be another 2 or 3 years before I need to change it, it may be safer to buy new ATF then.

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 · (Edited)
So the mm doesn't indicate when to change ATF?
It is sub-item 3 in MM, and yes, one dealer said he didn't think it was in MM and to do it every 30k miles. I hear MM tells you to change around 60k. The other dealer said to change it at 30K and going to 60 or 75k should only be done if you drive slow or just really want to save money. (shrug) I'll do it now (40k miles) just because I already bought the ATF.

·
Registered
676 Posts
A lot of people tend to change their ATF on Honda's early due to Honda's less than stellar AT record. Some of Honda's ATs are solid, but many are very questionable at best. I am not to familiar with the AT on the R18 but I haven't heard of too many problems so something like 10k is probably an overshot, but I would personally at least do a drain and fill every 25k or so. And when Honda says change at 75K I would assume they mean a non mechanical flush (aka drain and fill x3).
The way I see it is, with the exception of the R18 block cracking problem, I am willing to bet your tranny will go out before your engine dies. Therefore I think ATF should be followed more rigorously than the old "oil change every 3k"

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
A lot of people tend to change their MTF on Honda's early due to Honda's less than stellar AT record.
I assume you mean less than stellar MT record??? I hear about several more issues related to MT's over AT's, and not just on this site where Si's are the majority. Looks like I'll be safe doing a single drain/fill every 40K, not too early, not too late. I really don't want to hold onto (or get rid of for that matter) the ATF I already purchased especially since we'll be finding a new home and no telling what else over the next two years. Thanks for the suggestions!

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
OP, since you already bought the fluid, might as well do a quick drain and fill. The shifting WILL get smoother once the fresh fluid has a chance to clean up the tranny.

My Sis's R18 got its auto tranny fluid changed @ 30k just for the hell of it. I put in Mobil1 synthetic tranny juice and noticed the shifts got MUCH smoother, esp on a cold tranny.

The can now has almost 80k on it and shifts flawlessly. I plan to do another couple of drain n fills @ 100k when some of the major engine maintenance is required.

·
Registered
676 Posts
I assume you mean less than stellar MT record??? I hear about several more issues related to MT's over AT's, and not just on this site where Si's are the majority. Looks like I'll be safe doing a single drain/fill every 40K, not too early, not too late. I really don't want to hold onto (or get rid of for that matter) the ATF I already purchased especially since we'll be finding a new home and no telling what else over the next two years. Thanks for the suggestions!
Corrected. I did mean ATF, not MTF. Besides the third gear issue Honda MT's are generally not that bad.
Some of their ATs have some TERRIBLE track records (think CL, V6 Accords, 2 Gen TL's) and by terrible track record I don't mean a notchy gear etc like with manual transmissions, I mean flat out transmissions that die.
Such as this: UNDER CONSTRUCTION - Transmission Problem FAQ - Please read before posting!!! - AcuraZine Community
Like I said they have some that seem to be solid though, like the ones in the R18, but I would still be worried due to previous track records of Honda ATs.

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
I think 25k is a little TOO frequent, esp for a new Automatic.
Who knows though, maybe there's a reason for the shorter intervals (tranny sucks)

I remember seeing 60k as the interval when i was talking to a service advisor at my dealership.

Its funny how they all "recommend" different stuff. You dont know who the hell to believe. :laughing:

·
Registered
248 Posts
OP, since you already bought the fluid, might as well do a quick drain and fill. The shifting WILL get smoother once the fresh fluid has a chance to clean up the tranny.

My Sis's R18 got its auto tranny fluid changed @ 30k just for the hell of it. I put in Mobil1 synthetic tranny juice and noticed the shifts got MUCH smoother, esp on a cold tranny.

The can now has almost 80k on it and shifts flawlessly. I plan to do another couple of drain n fills @ 100k when some of the major engine maintenance is required.
So you just drained and filled your sisters at 30k, or did you get a flush and change the filter as well? I just bought an AT Civic EX and it had 23.7k when I bought it, should I do the drain and fill at 30k? Is this difficult to do yourself?

·
Registered
676 Posts

·
Registered
443 Posts
Just monitor the color, as you wait for the 75,000 mile marker

Pinkish red = very good condition
redish black = used, but ok
black = needs changed
tar-like = too late

·
Registered
7,091 Posts
So you just drained and filled your sisters at 30k, or did you get a flush and change the filter as well? I just bought an AT Civic EX and it had 23.7k when I bought it, should I do the drain and fill at 30k? Is this difficult to do yourself?

I got some use outta the factory fill and then changed to synthetic like i do all my cars. I have a 98 Camry V6 thats been running on M1 synthetic tranny juice with great results. Currently has 188K, shifts smoother then the civic :laughing:

·
Registered
606 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Just monitor the color, as you wait for the 75,000 mile marker

Pinkish red = very good condition
redish black = used, but ok
black = needs changed
tar-like = too late
So it's safe to say that, unlike oil, you can judge an ATF by it's color? Thanks for this info.

Scotty, you just drain it and refill with about 2.5 quarts (Check the dipstick as you fill and do not go over Max). Do not flush and do not change filter.

·
Registered
2,964 Posts
So it's safe to say that, unlike oil, you can judge an ATF by it's color?
It's not an infallible method, but color can be a decent indicator of overall condition in ATF. Under normal conditions there aren't any foreign contaiminants that enter ATF and cause a drastic change in color like there is in engine oil.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I just passed 80k miles when the 3 came up on my MM (2006 EX, mostly highway).

Did the 4 drain-refill method. First drain looked very dirty brown but not dark black like I have seen on some other cars.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts