8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
1 - 20 of 48 Posts

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So basically, I was enjoying my day off and just got done fishing (I was driving the company car). As I was driving, I was in a 3-lane road, where the middle lane was the only "straight" way lane, and the right for right turns and left lane for left turns. I was driving and approaching an intersection, and then I see the front of a mitsubishi lancer. The driver was trying to make, from her point of view, a left turn. By the time I saw the front of the lancer, I was really close, thus slamming on my brakes, holding down the horn, and swerving a bit to avoid an accident. She still proceeds and by the time she sees me, BAM!! WTF?? I have never been in an accident til this incident. Again, I was driving the company car (07 Chrysler Sebring) but still I am PISSED! I will not post pictures of this, as it pisses me off everytime I see the pictures. Turns out, after the officers handle everything, the driver has a suspended license and no insurance. ARE YOU EFFING SERIOUS!?!?!

My question is, who pays for the medical bills? yes, it was the company car, but I was driving it for personal use. and even if I got a lawyer, would it be worth it?

and why do people drive without insurance and with a suspended license? Yes, I am getting a new company car, but still, all the hassle i gotta go thru.

·
Hidy Ho Neighbor
29,707 Posts
I got rear ended by a woman in Philadelphia (20 years ago) susp.lic./no ins., while I was sitting at a light. She plows into my car, and accordians me into the car in front.

Nobody was hurt, including her. She gets out of her car, and just walks into a nearby bar. Fortunately a cop was right there, and arrested her.

My insurance had to pay for all of my damage.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Sue the stupid moron by taking her to small claims court.

I sued this girl who hit me and got a judgment of $500 against her plus court cousts. In fact, it was just recently. If she hasn't paid the court the money, she's in for a world of hurt. My attorney will make her life miserable (my attorney actually isn't involved yet but will be if she hasn't paid).

·
Registered
132 Posts
i cant speak for no insurance (absolutely foolish) but my license got suspended a few years ago when i got out of college cause i couldnt pay for my ticket, now the only way i was gonna get to and from work was by driving or else i wouldnt make any money and my license would be suspended forever! Sometimes you gotta do what u gotta do and hope u dont get caught.

·
Registered
1,321 Posts
A few points stand out:

When you try to put two cars in the same place, it's a wreck, not an 'accident'. As you stated, you only swerved 'a bit', and expected her to stop--which she didn't. If you give some people the opportunity they will hit you. People favor the term accident because it makes it sound like there was nothing they could have done to prevent the two cars/one place result. Your choice of words clearly indicates there was more you could have done. I am truly glad you were uninjured--but you better take the 'defensive' part of defensive driving more seriously as you may not be so fortunate next time.

Secondly, our society is built around the automobile. Not only it so ingrained in our culture that most people feel they have an inalienable right to drive, but the geography of our cities presuposses it. It's very hard to make a living without access to a car. I'm not excusing her actions, nor am I agreeing that an inalienable right exists. But these are the main factors that result in people driving on a suspended license and/or without insurance.

·
Registered
1,875 Posts
She hit you because it was a Chrysler Sebring :eek:hsnap:

But joking aside, who did the officers place blame on? And...

My question is, who pays for the medical bills? yes, it was the company car, but I was driving it for personal use. and even if I got a lawyer, would it be worth it?"
Who was injured, you or her? If you, I'm sorry man, hope you start feeling better.

·
Registered
740 Posts
No insurance is just stupid but, my father has driven around with a suspended license before. He had gotten a ticket for speeding and he paid for it but, for some reason, it didn't go through. He had the receipt and everything. I'm sure he got everything sorted. That's a very rare occurrence though, I would think.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
A few points stand out:

When you try to put two cars in the same place, it's a wreck, not an 'accident'. As you stated, you only swerved 'a bit', and expected her to stop--which she didn't. If you give some people the opportunity they will hit you. People favor the term accident because it makes it sound like there was nothing they could have done to prevent the two cars/one place result. Your choice of words clearly indicates there was more you could have done. I am truly glad you were uninjured--but you better take the 'defensive' part of defensive driving more seriously as you may not be so fortunate next time.

Secondly, our society is built around the automobile. Not only it so ingrained in our culture that most people feel they have an inalienable right to drive, but the geography of our cities presuposses it. It's very hard to make a living without access to a car. I'm not excusing her actions, nor am I agreeing that an inalienable right exists. But these are the main factors that result in people driving on a suspended license and/or without insurance.
whoa whoa.....what?? first of all, i've never been in an accident....i wasn't expecting a car to just pop outta nowhere. I wasn't speeding. and yes, i did swerve a bit....it's instinct. what else is there to do? just keep driving straight? and it was at a major intersection, so had i swerved even more, i would have run into the other cars.

it's not my fault her license is suspended and has no car insurance. and btw, she could have taken the bus, or other modes of transportation, such as carpooling. driving without insurance and with a suspended license is one thing. driving without insurance and with a suspended license AND causing an accident is something totally different.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
She hit you because it was a Chrysler Sebring :eek:hsnap:

But joking aside, who did the officers place blame on? And...

Who was injured, you or her? If you, I'm sorry man, hope you start feeling better.
officers blamed her, as she failed to yield the right of way. she was cited for three offenses.

and yes, im bruised up like crazy and im sore like a mofo lol

·
Registered
1,795 Posts
If she doesn't have a license, then she probably won't have insurance until she is reinstated. So here you go, answers your question. Since the only insurance available is yours, it will pay for the damage and then will try to recover it from her.

Also, shouldn't she be arrested and her car towed since she was driving on suspended?

·
Registered
682 Posts
Your insurance will cover it. You'll file it on your comp/collision. It shouldn't have any affect on your rates so no worries there.

If she had no insurance, it's because she couldn't afford it, which means she has no money so even if you sue and win 10,000,000,000 bucks in the suit, all you'll get from it is a piece of paper saying she owes you and a big fat lawyer bill which you'll have to pay with that IOU.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
If she doesn't have a license, then she probably won't have insurance until she is reinstated. So here you go, answers your question. Since the only insurance available is yours, it will pay for the damage and then will try to recover it from her.

Also, shouldn't she be arrested and her car towed since she was driving on suspended?
i was thinking the exact same thing, but i guess it's at the discretion of the cop.

·
Registered
1,904 Posts
Suing is fine if the person has money. Chances are their financial health is not too good, which is why they have no lic/ins.

G/L.
That's fine but there are options one can go through once the judge orders the judgment.

One option is that you can get money taken out of their bank account. Another option is that you can put a lien against their real properties, so if they ever decide to sell them, you get paid before they can. These are only a few options where I live, but all viable.

·
Registered
2,940 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
That's fine but there are options one can go through once the judge orders the judgment.

One option is that you can get money taken out of their bank account. Another option is that you can put a lien against their real properties, so if they ever decide to sell them, you get paid before they can. These are only a few options where I live, but all viable.
would there be any up front costs for me?

1 - 20 of 48 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.