8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 148 Posts

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey everyone. Does anyone have any solid tips for negotiation?

I read a couple threads here on the subject but none that really fit my situation...

I want a 2008 Si coupe w/navi. That being said, it MUST be ordered. I've had a few dealerships check and none are even scheduled to be built soon.

My 2nd problem is that I want a few options (in this order):
-HFP kit
-Fogs
-Auto dim mirror
-HFP rims (this one is a huge maybe... probably not)

I have no idea how to negotiate the extras. I feel like they have me by the balls cause they all know that none are even on order and that I want some accessories so they decide to charge me MSRP on them + an assload of labor.

Anyone with input? especially on how to negotiate accessories? should you include them in the deal from the beginning or get the "si w/navi" price as low as possible then add the extras?

Man I suck at this!

·
Registered
3,227 Posts
Your best bet would be to wait it out and check around at a few dealerships, once you gotta order then it would be hard to negotiate, you gotta learn to walk away, there will always be anotehr "deal" around the corner

·
Registered
626 Posts
Let me tell you why I suck as a negotiator. Say I walk into some guys dealership and he's even remotely interested in selling me something. Well then I get all excited and I'm like Jo-Jo the idiot circus boy with a pretty new pet. The pet, is my possible car. Oh my pretty little pet. I love you. So I stroke it....and I pet it....and I massage it. And I love my little naughty pet. You're naughty. And then I take my naughty pet and I go....AHHHH! I killed it. I killed my deal and over paid!.

sorry couldnt resist

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Your best bet would be to wait it out and check around at a few dealerships, once you gotta order then it would be hard to negotiate, you gotta learn to walk away, there will always be anotehr "deal" around the corner
Well, I don't absolutely have to order right this minute but if there is an 8-10 week wait, I would like to have the car by mid-march or april. I can certainly walk away but is it unreasonable to want an 08 Si coupe w/HFP kit and fogs for 23-23.5K? I mean c'mon! That's why I think it's just that I suck at negotiation.

any other inputs??

Thanks Duce

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Let me tell you why I suck as a negotiator. Say I walk into some guys dealership and he's even remotely interested in selling me something. Well then I get all excited and I'm like Jo-Jo the idiot circus boy with a pretty new pet. The pet, is my possible car. Oh my pretty little pet. I love you. So I stroke it....and I pet it....and I massage it. And I love my little naughty pet. You're naughty. And then I take my naughty pet and I go....AHHHH! I killed it. I killed my deal and over paid!.

sorry couldnt resist
Yeah, I learned this early when I went to the dealership and acted like "jo-jo the idiot" and got overly excited... then the salesman said he could do $500 off of sticker (which was like...MSRP). I had to leave and go to another dealership.

·
Registered
117 Posts
lmao!

Have you tried maybe settling for picking up those options down the road. Or considered that maybe what they have on the lot, obviously not selling, might be the car you can get the best deal on. In the long run you won't overpay and you can still get what you want, just maybe not up front.

·
Registered
626 Posts
I think that you should do a little research and find out how much these options actually cost the dealership. That way you have a leg to stand on by saying something like, "i know this cost $XXX how about you give it to me for $XX". the best advice i can give you is if you take delivery of your car with factory options they are covered under the 3yr 36k warrenty. if you buy and decided later to add on these options they are only covered for 1 year from purchase. just something to think about.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Negotiation is the essence of capitalism, there's nothing like it.
Well then allow me to quote one of the most influencial movies of our time:

Austin Powers: Finally those capitalist pigs will pay for their crimes, eh? Eh comrades? Eh?
Basil Exposition: Austin... we won.
Austin Powers: Oh, smashing, groovy, yay capitalism!

:biggrin:

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I think that you should do a little research and find out how much these options actually cost the dealership. That way you have a leg to stand on by saying something like, "i know this cost $XXX how about you give it to me for $XX". the best advice i can give you is if you take delivery of your car with factory options they are covered under the 3yr 36k warrenty. if you buy and decided later to add on these options they are only covered for 1 year from purchase. just something to think about.
yeah, I know... that's why I kind of want the HFP kit to be installed when I pick it up. I've tried to find out what the HFP kit and fogs 'invoice' price is but alas, the info is a well kept secret.

My dad claims (he sold cars for about 5 months) that those things can have up to a 50% markup. I'm just not sure.

I was going to pick up the fogs and HFP kit myself and install myself but I'd really like it all to be covered under the factory warranty...

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
lmao!

Have you tried maybe settling for picking up those options down the road. Or considered that maybe what they have on the lot, obviously not selling, might be the car you can get the best deal on. In the long run you won't overpay and you can still get what you want, just maybe not up front.
That's the thing tho, they don't have ANY on the lot... not even non-navi ones. I do not really want one thats non-navi cause I just sold my RSX-S and a non-navi civic w/o HFP kit is pretty much an RSX-S but newer lol

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
How much of what you want gets put on at the factory? Do they just intall the navi, and send it out to the dealership?

·
Registered
626 Posts
yeah, I know... that's why I kind of want the HFP kit to be installed when I pick it up. I've tried to find out what the HFP kit and fogs 'invoice' price is but alas, the info is a well kept secret.

My dad claims (he sold cars for about 5 months) that those things can have up to a 50% markup. I'm just not sure.

I was going to pick up the fogs and HFP kit myself and install myself but I'd really like it all to be covered under the factory warranty...
best thing i did was take delivery with the HFP aero kit. I was installed bad and had to be replaced at 1 1/2yrs cuz it fell off on one side. at the very least get that

·
Registered
15,798 Posts
You gotta have balls to negotiate. Sadly, I have none so I have a hard time haggling with people.

I think your best bet would be to negotiate via email, that's easy and anyone can do that. Face to face is a whole diff story - I got to know my saleswoman pretty well (we had 2 cars from her previously) so it easy to joke around with her and work on the price.

·
Registered
1,592 Posts
pretty much

ah ok. So that can at least be negotiated. But wouldn't they treat the accessories like they treat all their other parts? Just tell you part "x" is $"y" and the labor is $"z"/hr? Especially since their techs are gonna be doing the installs.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
ah ok. So that can at least be negotiated. But wouldn't they treat the accessories like they treat all their other parts? Just tell you part "x" is $"y" and the labor is $"z"/hr? Especially since their techs are gonna be doing the installs.
Thats the way one of the dealerships I have been talking to has done it so far... but they just gave me the price of the part and labor together. I calculated the labor myself per part using MSRP on honda.com as the price of the part. They ended up wanting $329 to install fog lights and $310 to install the HFP kit... bah

·
Registered
4,100 Posts
Well i cant help you on your negotiating skills, but from personal experience with financing a car i feel that if there are accessories that you want on your car new, then when your purchasing the car is the time to get it. That way the extras are financed in with the car and you dont have to fork out extra money for the accessories and labor costs down the road.

I wanted the HFP kit and 18" HFP rims on my Si so bad i couldnt stand it. At the time i was focusing on the out the door price and just didnt want it to be any higher. So i ended up not getting the HFP kit and kept telling myself that i would get it later. Instead i bought the rims later. well its almost 2 years later and i havnt bought the kit cuz i dont want to waste anymore money on the car plus pay installation charges. If i had just financed the rims and hfp kit in with the car when i purchased it i would be all set now.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Well i cant help you on your negotiating skills, but from personal experience with financing a car i feel that if there are accessories that you want on your car new, then when you purchasing the car is the time to get it. That way the extras are financed in with the car and you dont have to fork out extra money for the accessories and labor costs down the road.
yet another reason I want the accessories up front. There are too many reasons to get them at the dealer with the car... guess I just have to pay for it :(

·
Registered
201 Posts
Ha funny topic, I feel the same way to some degree.

The simple answer is you're not going to get a price trying to order a car with all those options. It will be expensive with HFP lip and Navi, and most dealers do not carry this package because it makes the car too expensive and no one will want to buy it.

I live in Jacksonville, and was looking to buy a new Si during October 07. There are 3 big Honda dealers in the area and no one had a single Si coupe during this time. I was told that the 07 coupes were basically sold out for the most part and had to wait for the new 08s to arrive. So I waited, and finally towards the end of the month I saw a black one sitting at one of the dealers, and I had to have it.

They still got me a little bit, saying the car was rare and I bought it when there were less than 300 08's in the whole US (SUPPOSEDLY but this is probably a BS story by them). They also will try to trick you saying that they've got someone else looking at the car or is on schedule to come look at it, so they make you think someone will buy it if you don't. Don't believe them. At this point I don't think the Si is as hot a seller as it once was, mine had been sitting in the lot a week before I saw it. And they try to tag on some kind of BS fee on the car (they tried putting a $1200 add-on dealer fee, for no reason, simply because the car is "rare"). But I told them no way was I paying a dime for that, and they took the fee off. But they didn't come down too much on the price unfortunately, but it was a pretty good sticker.

I was however interested in a black Si coupe for sale in Orlando, with the HFP ground effects and Navi. Was priced over $25K though - and I do know it sat there for a while, probably because of the price. So these cars are out there but you gotta look. And trust me a salesman just wants to sell one of the cars in their inventory when you go there, they will be less enthusiastic about an order. But you gotta act like you're looking at other stuff and aren't that interested in buying "today" unless a great deal is proposed.

1 - 20 of 148 Posts