8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 130 Posts

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So ive had my 2007 Civic Si Sedan in silver for about a month now and put on her first 1000 miles. My previous car was a 2004 Nissan Maxima SE in silver. So after the first month of driving the SI i seriously have to say I absolutely love driving this car. It is worlds ahead of my old maxima. Yea the maxima was fast but who cares when you cant turn for sh!t and the thing weighs a billion pounds so you get roll and lean whenever you take a turn at 15 miles an hour. I was so glad to get rid of that thing. But here is why im writing. Right before I got rid of my maxim the front right tire had a bad leak so I parked it and decided screw it im turnin in the lease 3 months early and getting something else. So at the same time I needed something to drive until I got another car...my sister had just got into an accident and her 2002 civic ex door was smashed in and she was renting a new camry. So I said sure i will drive that thing around for a while i didnt care what it looked like. After driving it for about a week or so I fell in love with it...it was so tiny and light compared to my Maxima that it was a breeze to drive. Easy to park, good turning radius and good gas mileage. After about 2 weeks of driving it I decided to walk into a honda dealership and look at the SI. After the maxima I wasnt about to go to something that had no horsepower so the SI was the only choice. I knew Honda had great reliability and awesome quality to their cars. The only model they had at the dealership was the Mugen SI. So i sat in it and instantly knew I had to have it. Next day went to Edison Honda in NJ...test drove a silver SI sedan for all of 2 minutes and bought it. Now that you know why I chose the SI what are your stories? What made you choose the SI over the competition..was it honda quality and reliability? Or was there simply nothing else in its class besides the VW GTI which I hear is a pile of crap quality wise..or did you not want to spend the extra money on the mazdaspeed3? Just curious to see why everyone chose their SI.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
Good question.

I bought my Si for my 13 year old kid. By the time he is old enough to drive, he can have a good, used, paid for, and cool car. I didn't want to give him something brand new and spoil him. And I don't want to buy him a used car because of bad used car experiences. At least we will know the history of the car and by then, it will only be one generation back. It will still be a cool car in 4 years.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thats actually a really good idea to buy a car in advance so that your son can have it as his first used car. Be careful though..the SI is a fast little car for a new driver.

·
Registered
3,351 Posts
My story is very simple, walk in the dealer test drive 07 si, at first I was taking it easy then the saleman told me to go up to 8k, right then the kick of VTAKKK kick push my head back and heard it scream. Right then n there I know me n her together forever.

·
Registered
3,294 Posts
Good question.

I bought my Si for my 13 year old kid. By the time he is old enough to drive, he can have a good, used, paid for, and cool car. I didn't want to give him something brand new and spoil him. And I don't want to buy him a used car because of bad used car experiences. At least we will know the history of the car and by then, it will only be one generation back. It will still be a cool car in 4 years.
That is really cool, I wish I had a thoughtful dad like you, lucky kid :thumb:

·
Registered
9,758 Posts
i love civic's, si's, honda's, and vtakk kicked in during the test drive so i had to buy.

·
Registered
1,337 Posts
Good question.

Yes, and hopefully the tranny will still be good :popcorn:

·
Registered
6,059 Posts
cheap car with good handling (even if its not the best) with a good engine (even if its not the fastest) which is just plain the most fun to drive out of anything in its price range with the exception of the MINI Cooper S.

the MINI is a bit too quirky stylistically for me and the fact that while its $500 MSRP less, to have it equally equipped as the 21,695 SI it would be about $26,000.

·
Premium Member
112,534 Posts
my first two cars were 90's honda's so i had to get another faster honda. I wanted a 350 z but 30k was not very appealing to me so i took the next best thing.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I actually paid 19087 before tax, titles and fees. Final statement came out to a little over 25k when it was all said and done. Think I got a pretty good deal. I love everything about the SI..from its sport seats to its red SI stitching and red SI letters...to the sportyness of the interior, the two tiered dash and nice 17 inch wheels..but i gotta say the Mugen Civic looks hot..but even that doesnt have more horsepower. Now if the type rr ever came out in the states I would be first in line to grab one...i just want my SI with more horsepower and better turning. I want this thing to be a freakin race car. Mainly because its so much damn fun to drive. I dont want to mod it though...not a big fan of mods except maybe an intake..but even then i dont want to lose the high pitched sound the engine makes and replace it with a lower, throatier sound. I would just buy an RR if it came out in the states if i wanted more power and handling.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Oh also want the body kit and headlight/tail lights combo that comes with the RR...plus the sweet wing and sick rims and nice duel exhaust! After owning the SI i am absolutely drooling over that RR.

·
Registered
4,668 Posts
That is really cool, I wish I had a thoughtful dad like you, lucky kid :thumb:
Yeah, my dad was pretty thoughtful. So, I figured I'd do the same for my kid. He passed on his 1st Gen RX-7. It had nice 15x7 wheels (that was huge back then), and a full Tokico suspension (shocks, springs, and sways) when he gave it to me.

·
Registered
88 Posts
i was looking in the used car market to replace my beloved '92 camry and i had a little extra cash saved up to ge something nicer :biggrin:. i ranked the most reasonable /practical cars as well as personal choices from 1-6:
1 wrx
2 gti 1.8t (2002 or up)
3 rsx-s
4 civic si
5 scion tc
6 mazda 3

as much as i wanted the wrx well insurance was ridiculously massive... so no. the gti seemed like it had too many problems too often... being a full time college student it would absolutely suck if i couldn't make it to class (i live 30+ miles away from school). the rsx type s was reasonable, but insurance was still higher than a honda according to my insurance agent. between the rsx type s and the si, i found an si at a much more reasonable price than the rsx. so here i am, at 8th civic sharing with you guys how i'm one of you guys now.

·
Registered
140 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Ok here are the reasons why i wouldnt have chosen any of those cars and why i looked at basically nothing else except the honda.

WRX-crap interior and it does nothing for me looks wise
GTI-too many problems with VW cars...eckk
RSX-S-cant stand two door cars
Scion TC- no power and no interior lacks big time
Mazda 3-regular mazda didnt have enough horsepower and didnt wanna pay for speed3...plus i never owned a mazda and was nervous about its reliability
So there you have it...Honda Civic Si was the only choice for me.

·
Registered
585 Posts
I was suppose to get a Mazda speed for graduation but instead i got into a SI and v-tech...i knew it was mine after that moment =)
I also test drove the WRX and GTI but those two just did not feel as nimble as the SI did or maybe i was not connected with those other two.

·
Registered
986 Posts
didnt want to buy a crappy car for my first car. I love everything about the car and i needed something i could put my snowboard in, get good gas mileage, and still be fast.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Good question.

Well, this was kind of an afterthought, but I will be doing the same thing when my daughter hits driving age (3 years to go; man, I must be getting old).

Anyways, changed positions within my company, and commute went from 18 miles to about 35 miles and my 11mpg Dodge Ram wasn't cutting it. So started looking around at vehicles in the $20k range that got around 30mpg. Not too many in that category, and I didn't want to fall asleep while driving.

So I looked at the Mazda 3, Scion Tc, and Honda Civic. No one had the Si at the time, but one of the dealers shared lots with an Acura dealer who had the RSX-S on the lot. Took that for a spin and was hooked, so started shopping for a Si and got the one I wanted, after a month or 2 wait at the time.

Only thing I would change is FWD to RWD, but that will be the next car. Maybe a G37 when I'm ready.

1 - 20 of 130 Posts