8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello everyone hope all is well. Just a little background info on my civic, it is a 2008 LX sedan with a 5 speed auto. I acquired it in 2016 with about 20,000 miles on the clock it now has 35,500 miles on it. I love driving it I know it may not be an SI or a handling car but for a base economy car it’s more than good enough. In the city of Phoenix 80 percent surface street driving I get around
28-30 mpg. But one thing I noticed is my car is rated at 25 city while a 2006-2007 civic LX automatic is rated at 30 in the city and 40 highway. I can’t find any mechanical specs that changed between 07 and 08. What caused 5 MPG drop?

·
Registered
52 Posts
I looked that up and you are right. but the fine print says that the 2008 is based on 2008 EPA mileage estimates. the 2006 is based on 2006 EPA mileage estimates. if the EPA changed anything about the way they estimate mileage then that may be one reason. if you go to fueleconomy.gov you can compare new and old fuel economy estimates. you can also see a page that explains how the EPA changes it's methodology for calculating fuel economy. things like weather changes.

So if you look at the 2006 Civic LX, the old fuel economy was 30/40. But considering the new methodology, the new fuel economy for the 2006 Civic LX becomes 26/36. Which is very close to your 2008 Civic LX auto.

https://www.fueleconomy.gov/feg/comparempg.shtml

1 - 2 of 2 Posts