8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 20 of 338 Posts

·
Registered
240 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I keep reading posts about how the civic is not "fast enough" blah blah.

I think the Si is an economic car that handles well, has some pep. It's perfect, zippy, considerate, and lighter on the environment.

Why do people want to compare it to meathead mobiles is beyond me. To me the civic is classy ride, it doesnt scream testorone meatheadness... and it's sophisticated.

Anyone feel the same?

·
Registered
592 Posts
Yeah, but it's because what else you can get in the approximate same price range that will blow the doors off our Si's. Still love mine though.

·
it just BLOWS my mind
2,529 Posts
Who told you the Si was fast?
Its just a sporty Civic model at the end of the day.
Why Some SI drivers are suffering an inferiority complex?
Cuz they know that fact deep inside.
And it happens to be the tipycal kid who has a couple of motor bolt ons and thinks he can smoke every car out there.

·
Registered
1,228 Posts
All of us?

Nah. I'm cool. I like my car : )

Never have understood 300hp front wheel drive cars anyway - that's what RWD and AWD is for.

·
Registered
1,512 Posts
imo...i like the fact that i can take the kidos to school in a cool looking car and then still go to the track and have a lil fun. i know i cant beat everything out there. but i still have as much fun as the next guy. bottom line is no matter how u look at it. wether it be a 300+ whp civic or just ur run of the mill ex...at the end of the day...its still just a civic

·
Registered
224 Posts
The Si is not a powerhouse lol. Its a fun car to drive and atack corners/cones with because its a light japanese car with a fast reving engine. But it is by no means super fast, its quick, and a wicked ride. Also cheap to maintain and generally very reliable.

I don't think anyone really buys a Si to be the fastest car out there. Its a compromise straight from the factory, you get good milage and can still have some fun. I pay less in gas and insurance than my brother who owns a skyline r32. Can he beat me in a straight line? Yes. I can def keep up with him in corners, but he has a striaght 6 with a t3 turbo, so in power he kills me handsdown.

Civic is not a fast car, its a compromise :)

·
Registered
96 Posts
While I wouldn't call the Si sophisticated, I do see what you're saying. I noticed something similar on the S2ki boards; people there were always trying to get on even ground with Evos, and STi's, but the S2k (while its a phenomenal car) had no business being compared to FI AWD rally machines. Some people just need to realize that Honda doesn't live its life a quarter mile at a time. Instead they focus on the entire car with the goal to make it a good "drivers" car.

·
Registered
2,697 Posts
i don't care what i drive it'll never be "fast enough". It's about upgrading what the factory wouldn't give you from the start. As far as the civic...it's an underdog. Look at it's competition. A sub 200hp high reving engine with a relative light sporty chassis. Now take that and make it as fast as possible. It's too easy to make a muscle car "fast" or really any RWD/AWD. It takes a lot more to beat those kinds of cars in a FWD. It's a challenge. I personally don't like to be "satisfied" with my cars. I always want more. But to each his own.....

·
Registered
6,381 Posts
I keep reading posts about how the civic is not "fast enough" blah blah.

I think the Si is an economic car that handles well, has some pep. It's perfect, zippy, considerate, and lighter on the environment.

Why do people want to compare it to meathead mobiles is beyond me. To me the civic is classy ride, it doesnt scream testorone meatheadness... and it's sophisticated.

Anyone feel the same?
"Sophisticated" and "Classy" are words that should never, ever be used to describe a Civic Si.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
imo...i like the fact that i can take the kidos to school in a cool looking car and then still go to the track and have a lil fun. i know i cant beat everything out there. but i still have as much fun as the next guy. bottom line is no matter how u look at it. wether it be a 300+ whp civic or just ur run of the mill ex...at the end of the day...its still just a civic
I totally disagree with this "it's just a Civic" comment. I have a 300HP Si and while it will always be a Civic it is a completly different experience than say my roommates EX(stock). I would say the majority of people would think I have a slow economical grocery getter if I simply tell them I drive a Civic. Those same people would be amazed at how fast and agile my car is if they went for a ride in it. Fact of the matter is any car can be made fast. The "it's just a Civic" comment can only come into play if we are talking about status symbols. Yes, not matter what I do to my Civic, most people will not care because they are more concerned with what people think than the performance of the car. Dollar for Dollar the Si is a great performance car, especially once modded.

·
Registered
1,100 Posts
All of us?

Nah. I'm cool. I like my car : )

Never have understood 300hp front wheel drive cars anyway - that's what RWD and AWD is for.
You should try it. While I think that RWD and AWD cars are better platforms I have no problem hanging with our beating my friends Mustang and WRX for about the same amount of money.

·
Registered
954 Posts
.....I would say the majority of people would think I have a slow economical grocery getter if I simply tell them I drive a Civic.......
I'm ok with folks thinking this. Especially the ones that drive the cars with the pretty lights on top and in the grille.

And as for bang for buck - I think you nailed it there.

Funny thing, I hang in the right lane for my daily 56 mile highway commute. Its the only lane that's open - everybody else is bunched up in the left and middle lane. On any given day there are a bunch of nice looking vehicles tailing behind me; Porsches, Bimmers, Audis, plus all the Japanese brands in our range. Heck today there was a Panamera. They all have more power and can pass me. But they just seem to hunker down.

This driver suffering from an inferiority complex? Not sure - I really don't care.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Bought the Civic because it was a good blend of performance, modability if I ever wanted to, practicality and most important to me, reliability. It's not the fastest car ever but it'll definitely get me from Point A->B in relative comfort and style and I get 28.5mpg while doing it :D

Anyone who is complaining just needs to go buy another car... I'd love a little more torque but other than that, fantastic piece of engineering IMHO

1 - 20 of 338 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.