8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Drove around with parents looking for white 2008 Si. FOUND ONE at Stevens Creek Honda. Talked to sales rep, test drove. My dad was seriously thinking about it. Then, he was like I cant afford one until January. He got my hopes up like YES IM GONNA GET THE CAR IVE WANTED FOR 2 YEARS! Ok, so I wait, and it was December. My dad says that I dont need a car for Freshman year of college and that I'm not getting a car until summer 2009. No si for me =(
But i do agree with him on not needing a car for freshman year since i will be in dorms.

·
Registered
7,438 Posts
Wait until after your freshman year for sure. No use in having a brand new depreciating car just sitting in the driveway letting it's brake rust while you are off at school.

Even if you took it to school, I wouldn't want a brand new car on campus.

Besides, you'll be having more than enough fun your freshman year. Get yourself broken into the college lifestyle before introducing a car. For now just enjoy your stay on the site. It's a tough wait but it will be worth it in the end.

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it was a coupe. but yea i really wanted an RSX, but thats expensive for a used car also. But we'll see. summer of 2009 is when i get a car. I'm really liking the new Mercedes C class =D. or if honda keeps the Si, or Acura rereleases the RSX, IM GETTING IT! lol

·
Registered
1,122 Posts
Darn, that's too bad. My dad bought me my car for college and I'd be crushed if he said no at the last moment like your dad. I didn't realize how much I loved driving until I got my car and can't imagine what I'd be "into" if I didn't have it, lol.

I'm just glad that when I go home to visit my family ever month or two I won't be paying $50 for Amtrak. Full tank right now is $30 so $40 when gas becomes $4 a gallon won't be too bad. Also, dorm life at the UCs are fun but driving out to the major cities for the real fun is where it's at [says my sister at UCBerkeley when she goes to San Francisco].

·
Registered
5,361 Posts
Drove around with parents looking for white 2008 Si. FOUND ONE at Stevens Creek Honda. Talked to sales rep, test drove. My dad was seriously thinking about it. Then, he was like I cant afford one until January. He got my hopes up like YES IM GONNA GET THE CAR IVE WANTED FOR 2 YEARS! Ok, so I wait, and it was December. My dad says that I dont need a car for Freshman year of college and that I'm not getting a car until summer 2009. No si for me =(
But i do agree with him on not needing a car for freshman year since i will be in dorms.
well your smart for not throwing a fit and understanding. that says alot about you. Maybe try to save some spare pennies to offer to make a donation towards your car in 2009? This might entice your dad to buy you something even nicer :lildevil:

·
Registered
1,401 Posts
its the right choice to wait. you probably dont need a car too much as a freshman anyways. and i love the new c class. i was thinking about trading my si in but dont really want the increase in payments right now.

·
Registered
10,259 Posts
I agree. Having a car freshman year of college is more of a hastle than anything. I had to pay to park it, park it literally over a half mile away, park in gravel, leave it there for weeks at a time, once the battery died and I had to get a jump... its just a pain. You don't need one, trust me. Granted, my car was an older prelude at the time, but still a hastle.

On top of that, it will probably get vandalized by haters and that will be another pain in the arse to get fixed... its just overall a bad idea.

Patience is key. :thumb:

·
Registered
3,936 Posts
Yea..just wait it out. You definitely don't need the hassle of having a car on campus. My friend has an 07 Si sedan..in the last 3 months his car has been hit 2 times while parked at school totaling over $3000 worth of damage. And he has no clue who has hit the car either time.

And get the Si..forget about the C-class lol..the Si is a lot more fun to drive.

·
Registered
4,632 Posts
I kindof know how you feel! I was looking for a TW FG2 SI and found one at sunnyvale honda but someone paid 3k over invoice for it! I settled for a GGM FG2 SI :) good luck on your car hunt

·
Registered
189 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
well your smart for not throwing a fit and understanding. that says alot about you. Maybe try to save some spare pennies to offer to make a donation towards your car in 2009? This might entice your dad to buy you something even nicer :lildevil:
Yeah i was planning on getting a job during freshman year and making a couple thousand bucks to chip in toward a new car in 09. thanks for all the support everyone and not flaming me like i was afraid of. 8thcivic ftw!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
White ftw.

·
Premium Member
19,589 Posts
OP, I commend you on your mature attitude. I know that you have an urge to get one now, but trust me, the time will fly by and you will be in the driver's seat. Until then, get your fix here on the fourm. :thumb:

·
Registered
837 Posts
OP, I commend you on your mature attitude. I know that you have an urge to get one now, but trust me, the time will fly by and you will be in the driver's seat. Until then, get your fix here on the fourm. :thumb:
Your def. handling the news well..but when summer 2009 rolls around get the newest si you can...atleast then itll be well worth the wait!!

·
Registered
117 Posts
I bought a 10k car when I started college cause my old car was starting to go and I wanted something reliable to go home in.

I paid that off after college, and bought a new car after I had the job to do so. I would not want an 07 White SI parked in a student parking lot, no way.

If you can stand it, wait until after college, and buy a cheaper car now. That is my 2 cents.

·
Registered
18,666 Posts
ahhh! white SI's are like finding the perfect girl. you think you found it but then there's a big ass mark up on it. i started last year around feb and i recently bought my car... 600 bucks over sticker. oo well. i wanted it sooo bad so it's watever.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.