8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Acorns!
17,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
That's the title of this story from Edmunds' Inside Line:

TOKYO — The grapevine in Japan is whispering about a hot, new 250-horsepower pure sport coupe from Toyota, coming next year, which would also double as a new Celica in Japan.

Japan's moles say they've uncovered secret plans for a new pure sport coupe from Toyota, apparently based around the Scion tC. The unnamed model, due in 2006, has 2.4-liter power, like the tC, yet is good for a reputed 250 horsepower.

Toyota is aiming at Honda's stellar Integra Type R (the more exotic, faster version of America's Acura RSX). And the idea would also be to inject some extra speed and enthusiast muscle into the tC.

America will soon bid farewell to the Celica, so this new 250-hp sport coupe would be a welcome replacement. Across in Japan, the talk is Toyota would rebadge it as the eighth-generation Celica.

While the Celica as we know it is 1.8-liter, the story goes that this new model would jump up to a special high-performance 2.0-liter motor, which may be called 2AZ-GE.

What this means to you: Biggest problem with Scion? No power. Thus, this super tC sounds super-cool; let's hope it makes it into the showrooms here.

http://www.edmunds.com/insideline/do/News/articleId=106827

·
Registered
571 Posts
WEBBY!!!!!!!!!!! YOU JUST MADE MY DAY!!!!!!!!!! :SHOCKED:

Pray that they make it RWD.......

·
Registered
571 Posts
I knew this could be done! The current 2az-fe only revs to 6000rpms. By beefing up the valvetrain and increasing the cam profile along with tuning thier current valve intelligence system for performance rather than fuel economy, increasing compression (current-> something like 9.6:1), and redesigning the restrictive fe head that this could be possible! Although i believe 230hp sounds more realistic with HIGH compression (11.5:1 i'm sure discouraging boost :( ). If honda/acura can make 220hp out of a 2 liter type R motor......why can't toyota!?

My projection--> 230hp, 11.5:1, 7500rpm 2.4L motor. Guess i shouldn't get ahead of myself being that its just *rumors*

Sorry for getting out of control there....i'm a tC-o-holic :)

·
Registered
144 Posts
i doubt it that it might be the tC. It might be the Supra they are talkin about. i might be wrong.

my guess is that there might be a 200 HP tC to compete against the Si and a 250 HP Supra to compete against the Accord which has 255 HP.

But thats purely a guess.

·
Registered
204 Posts
webby said:
TC - and it's planned for FWD. It's not going to be a new car.
I read somewhere that it was going to be the new celica replacement, not a tC. It may share the motor or other parts but I dont think that the Scion brand is meant to carry such pricey vehicles. 250 ponies would definitely inflate the price tag.
Also, there will never be a supra marketed to compete with an accord!!!!

·
Registered
267 Posts
I realize this post is old, but wanted to say what I heard from a friend. My friend that works at Scion told me something on the DL. They had a meeting to do with a Toyota/Subaru partnership, and the possibility of using similar technology. There was discussion of a possible new Scion turbo-4 engine in the works, and it might be a sedan with AWD. Who knows these things? I like the direction these ideas were going anyhow. We'll see exactly what comes out.

·
Premium Member
19,580 Posts
Thats cool. Ive always liked the look of the TC. Actually rides nice and is somewhat ballsy. This should be interesting once released.

·
Registered
267 Posts
:popcorn: I know. But I thought it was better to dig then to start a new post when there's already talk about it... like 3 years ago. :thumb:

Edit: BTW, I got a buddy who grew up in Arcadia. Know anyone with the nickname Dirtyflip?

·
Registered
267 Posts
ahaha there are quite a few "dirtyflips" here
hahaha you serious? Common nickname huh? His name is Chris Deguzman. He's probably 24 or 25 and was stationed here in Hawaii until last year. I think he's in San Diego now. Hawaii's a small rock so I'm unable to gauge whether you'd run into a him or not. :laughing:

1 - 20 of 20 Posts