8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey all, I'm looking to purchase a civic si, just not set on the year yet. I'm actually coming from a 9th gen ex, I've been in love with the 8th gen looks and haven't been able to get over it. Initially, I was set on a 09 model, seeing as that's the year Honda refreshed the 8th gen. I don't want to spend too much on this car based on its looks, because I'm planning to eventually do the front and rear CTR conversion :dance:. I know I would be saving money dropping down to an 06-08 model, but how much would I actually be losing, cosmetically and electronically? (As in features: bluetooth, ipod connection, fog lights, the sorts). Thanks for the help, guys!

·
Registered
360 Posts
I'm new to the 8th scene, I just got an '11 FG2 a few weeks ago, I might be wrong on these but I did quite a bit of research before I made my purchase.

09-11 had the option to play MP3s via usb in the center armrest. Pretty sure iPod will work for all 8ths via AUX, no?

Bluetooth was only on the Navi models

06-08 didn't come stock with fog lights, it was optional. 09-11s it was standard equipment.

06-08 supposedly has problems with 3rd gear grinding which was supposedly rectified in the refresh, but multiple users with all years of 8th Si's complain of the issue, it's hit or miss really. I've not had a problem with mine yet but I haven't driven it bag off yet either.

Essentially the only difference between 06-08 & 09-11 is all cosmetic. 06-08 has different wheels (I like 09+ better personally). Different front end, 09-11 has a clear lens over the LED 3rd brakelight on the spoiler as opposed to red on the 06-08.

Personally I think the 09+ just looks better overall...if you're willing to do the front-end conversion on an 06-08 you'll make out pretty good. If you source all of the parts NEW OEM you're looking at about $1500 to do the conversion, but if you buy it piece by piece from a junkyard you're looking at significantly less. I considered doing the same but I just shelled out the extra cash and got what I wanted. You pay a premium for the 09+'s though.

·
Registered
14 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ahhhh I see. Thanks for all your input, guys.

Well I don't mind the missing electronics TOO much. (Love my bluetooth and usb in my 9th gen right now though) :cornmad: But I can live without it.

Say I were to go with an 07/08 model, ignoring all the cosmetics and electronics, the 07 and 08 should be the same as 09-11, right?

Just scared of the third gear grinding issue :(

·
Registered
70 Posts
The 3rd gear issue can be fixed by taking it to Honda the did a recall on it and will pay to fix it. It in another post here on 8th under mechanical issues I believe. I bought my 07 used n got it fix free of charge.

Sent from AutoGuide.com Free App

·
Registered
1,495 Posts
The 3rd gear issue can be fixed by taking it to Honda the did a recall on it and will pay to fix it. It in another post here on 8th under mechanical issues I believe. I bought my 07 used n got it fix free of charge.

no, it's just a TSB. which means they don't HAVE to fix it. My dealer told me to kick rocks. twice. you just have a cool dealership. OP, you very much should be worried about the 3rd gear grind/lockout. Get an 09-11 model, supposedly they fixed it on those.

·
Registered
194 Posts
09-11 definitely - no gear issues, USB port, better looking front grill - the only flaw is the chrome rear license plate accessory on the sedan, haha.

·
Registered
285 Posts
No they did not fix 3rd gear issue, i have a 2011 with 3rd gear issue! Honda kicked the can down the road! Took it to the dealership i bought mine at twice and they told me they cant replicate the problem. Im trading mine in for a 2013 mustang gt. Sad to say becouse i was planning to keep it for some time. I have a budy at work thats a big time honda guy, hes owned biult and raced his hatches and integras. He drove my fg2 and confirmed my 3rd gear issue! I trust his word over some dealership! Be carful no matter what year 8th gen you buy!

·
Registered
2,384 Posts
No they did not fix 3rd gear issue, i have a 2011 with 3rd gear issue! Honda kicked the can down the road! Took it to the dealership i bought mine at twice and they told me they cant replicate the problem. Im trading mine in for a 2013 mustang gt. Sad to say becouse i was planning to keep it for some time. I have a budy at work thats a big time honda guy, hes owned biult and raced his hatches and integras. He drove my fg2 and confirmed my 3rd gear issue! I trust his word over some dealership! Be carful no matter what year 8th gen you buy!
You should try a 06 that really was a 3rd gear issue. After 09 you can barely notice it.

I owned both 06 and 09.

·
Registered
276 Posts
I have an 07 si with 85k miles. at the risk of turning this into another 3rd gear grind thread, my car has not had an issue. I have grinded 3rd a few times, but that was only early on when i got it and was learning how to drive it. i feel like the 3rd grind is an issue, however, i feel could be over exaggerated due to those gifted with hands of ham. 09+ models are sexy but they axed the fuji blue and habanero red which are beautiful colors and replaced them with colors that dont do the car justice. If I could do it over, id still chose my 07 over the 09, but my buddy has an '10 fg2 in polished grey and it is stunning. any si with nav, 06-11 has a blue teeth function on the steering wheel. either way you go, you already made the best decision to go 8th gen! good luck!

·
Registered
2,023 Posts
09-11 definitely - no gear issues, USB port, better looking front grill - the only flaw is the chrome rear license plate accessory on the sedan, haha.
Yes that chrome insert is the worst I had to wrap it in carbon fiber I couldn't stand looking at it! I'd say go with the 09 Imo... im on my 3rd 8th gen first owned a 06 fg2 to a 09 fg2 to a 09 fa5. There isn't much difference at all just personal preference is what it will really come down to. Goodluck on the purchase

·
Registered
360 Posts
I have an 07 si with 85k miles. at the risk of turning this into another 3rd gear grind thread, my car has not had an issue. I have grinded 3rd a few times, but that was only early on when i got it and was learning how to drive it. i feel like the 3rd grind is an issue, however, i feel could be over exaggerated due to those gifted with hands of ham. 09+ models are sexy but they axed the fuji blue and habanero red which are beautiful colors and replaced them with colors that dont do the car justice. If I could do it over, id still chose my 07 over the 09, but my buddy has an '10 fg2 in polished grey and it is stunning. any si with nav, 06-11 has a blue teeth function on the steering wheel. either way you go, you already made the best decision to go 8th gen! good luck!
Whoa there fellow...I'm quite partial to the Redline Orange Pearl....But black is always better <3

·
Registered
512 Posts
The 09-11 also came with a revised shifter with shorter throws. Although if you plan on trying to get a shorter throw, you can just throw the adapter on the 06-08's no problem and it's shorter. Needs modification to make one work in the 09-11.
The headlights have partially cleared corners on 09-11 as well and better looking tails on the sedan.

·
Registered
194 Posts
Yes that chrome insert is the worst I had to wrap it in carbon fiber I couldn't stand looking at it! I'd say go with the 09 Imo... im on my 3rd 8th gen first owned a 06 fg2 to a 09 fg2 to a 09 fa5. There isn't much difference at all just personal preference is what it will really come down to. Goodluck on the purchase

http://www.8thcivic.com/forums/inside-out/303646-painted-my-rear-chrome-trim.html

I sanded, primered, and painted mine with factory color in a spray can. I'm gonna do it again but I'm gonna get a colored one from Honda and then repeat because the chrome one isn't flush like it is on the 06-08 body matched ones.

·
Registered
202 Posts
I prefer the 06-08, I have an 08. No 3rd gear grind issues. If you are doing a conversion, no point in the 09-11 unless you just want electronics.

The 09-11 aren't really "better" in anyway, just cosmetics which is really a matter of opinion.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts