8th Generation Honda Civic Forum banner
  • Hello Everyone! Let us know what you would spend a $50 Amazon gift card on, HERE For a chance to win a $50 Amazon Gift Card!
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
601 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
do weighted knobs really make a difference in shifting or are they mostly for looks? i have a short shifter and i heard that heavier knobs will make shifting easier

·
Premium Member
287 Posts
i bought a circuithero shift knob... it sits much lower than stock [i drive an lx] and feels much easier to shift. its also a bit heavier than stock so im not sure if its easier to shift because of the height, weight, or both. [prolly both]

·
Premium Member
9,414 Posts
the weight makes a BIG difference.
i tried a lighter shift knob (password Ti)
and didnt like it at all..went back to stock while i waited for my heavier knob to arrive

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
Adding weight essentially makes you use more force to increase the momentum of the knob, which makes shifting smoother. But, different strokes for different folks. I went from TWM's Type R, back to Stock Si, to Spoon Ti.

I actually like the Spoon Ti more now, it felt really weird when I first put it on, very notchy. But now, it's feels just as smooth as stock to me, and I like the lighter weight when I drive faster.

Heavy knobs feel awesome when I'm "cruising", but stock or lighter feels even better when shifting more often. Might be just me though.

·
Registered
11,919 Posts
My TWM Type R knob weighs about 2x as much as the stock Si knob. If you're referring to the FD2 knob (JDM Type R) I think it's a bit heavier, as well as a ball knob instead of our teardrop shaped style.

·
Premium Member
9,414 Posts
Adding weight essentially makes you use more force to increase the momentum of the knob, which makes shifting smoother. But, different strokes for different folks. I went from TWM's Type R, back to Stock Si, to Spoon Ti.

I actually like the Spoon Ti more now, it felt really weird when I first put it on, very notchy. But now, it's feels just as smooth as stock to me, and I like the lighter weight when I drive faster.

Heavy knobs feel awesome when I'm "cruising", but stock or lighter feels even better when shifting more often. Might be just me though.
mine (even though it was the password version) felt just about the same as stock, and maybe even a little taller than stock.

·
CHOO-CHOO!!!!!!
14,929 Posts
I do like my Skunk 2 knob, but I use the Mugen Formula knob a lot more. And to the OP, I've got the Auger black boot, with red stitching.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
i got the fd2 knob and its lighter than stock, but the trowns feel so much better to me personaly, i shift like a mad man and now it feels like i dont have to put so much into my trow in order to shift faster, lighter is defenetly faster and i like the lighter knob,.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.